GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    No. This game is about one specific character's adventure.

Our next game will have multiple classes and a good mix of genders/gnome/dwarf status, though.

2. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    This game is amazing so far!!! Also, before I go crazy, is there any point in slashing all the boxes / books / bushes / other non-glowing inanimate objects? (I know that I got some achievements in relation to them but still destroy them anyway.... Every. Single. One...)

Thanks!

3. Since87

Since87 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    after 2mar he'll be able to buy 3 more and use that as a door stop

4. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    bought and played for a bit, this game is really great and fun.

5. Nokage

Nokage Member

Oct 14, 2011
    In Australia, so only a couple of hours behind NZ release times.

6. sidetwo

sidetwo Well-Known Member

Kepa:

A couple of things -

The fan pack is not showing up as purchased/unlocked for me. How do I unlock it since I purchased the game early?

Also is there a way to flip the screen?

Loving the game so far! It's exactly what I've been looking for.

7. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    That was quite abrupt.
    Thank you for the answer.

If your next game has classes, please do an Assassin/Thief class with long range(throwing stars)/short range(dagger) attacks (no mid-range attacks, makes no sense). Glowing black ;).

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I already bought Whale Trail and FN:pB, and i want this one, looks outstanding, but i worry about the IAP... but the game looks awesome, so.... should i buy it?

9. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    My top-hat goes well and truly off to you and the team at rocketcatgames, Kepa.

Mage Gauntlet is absolutely brilliant.

I've had the pleasure of critically reviewing hundreds of games, both here and elsewhere, and I can comfortably say MG is in my all-time top 5. This is an action RPG tailor-made for iOS and the touch screen, with loving throwbacks to my ultimate favourites such as Terranigma and SoM, albeit with the care and attention needed to do a game of their calibre justice on the current hardware. It easily exceeds its tongue-in-cheek goal of putting to shame other 'popular' iOS JRPGs.

It handles beautifully, it looks gorgeous, and it absolutely hums performance-wise. The writing is light and fun, and it's clear that you guys had just as great a time putting it all together as we'll have playing it.

I'll have more to say in my forthcoming AppStore review, but I can't sing its praises far and wide enough. Nor will I.

I wish you guys the very best success with this gem, because damn, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

10. spongefile

spongefile Active Member

Jun 21, 2009
    web dev concept designer
    Helsinki, Finland
    Wow. Just wow.

11. pen_sq

pen_sq Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Sounds like somebody hasn't overclocked his iPad yet. I got mine up to 2.3Ghz with Wesson, anybody else?

12. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    The only IAP at the moment is a couple of weapons, a bit of armour and a pack with hats and a Rocket Cat (which comes free if you buy it now!)

I think it's definitely worth it, the game is amazing, and on sale at the moment too! And I think I saw somewhere that the IAP items were similar to some which can be found in the game so they won't be necessary (but they do look quite cool!)
    Anyway, I'm sure that Rocketcat wouldn't have any game-breaking IAPs after looking at the ones in Hook Champ, Super Quick Hook and Hook Worlds.

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Is there anyway to check your unlocked achievements in game?

14. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I'm fairly sure there will be Open Feint and Game Center included on release so that should be a yes.

15. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    There is Open Feint and Game Center integration

16. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    #116 pka4916, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    nvm... found my answer.. please delete this comment

17. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Can you play your own music while playing the game?

18. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Not yet. It will be added with the next update.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Haha, no, I specifically FORBADE adding anything to the above. While also having everything be destructible. The achievements related to them make fun of you for doing this.

Try going in the game with WIFI on, or going in the settings menu in-game and set CHECK FOR NEWS to "Always On" briefly. Should do it. If it DOESN'T WORK, it means there's a bug and that would suck.

We forgot screen-flipping, can probably add that.

Was it abrupt? Ya an assassin/thief class sounds like a must-do thing. I think we have a class planned called the Cultist that is almost exactly like that.

The IAP is extremely optional, you get similar stuff throughout the game. As an example, the best thing you can get from IAP, the PHoenix Feather, has a similar item called the Arcane Heart that you get in the first section of the world map. We put IAP in to make some money back off the on-release discount, but it's just a way to throw money at us if you feel like it.

Not for Gamecenter (not IN-GAME I mean)... we should probably fix that. First time we've screwed that up. Usually we do scoreboards, and this game doesn't have leaderboards until the first update.

20. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I have to agree with Raro that we need to get more achievements for cleaning out the map :p

I want to know how you get 3 stars on a map? I always get 2 and I'm wondering what I do wrong