Is there an AirPlay thread anywhere?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by TanTan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    That has a list of AirPlay enabled games?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Doesn't basically everything work with AirPlay via mirroring if you've got the right setup? Or do you mean games like Zombie Gunship where it shows something different on the host device?

3. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Somewhat both Mr. Hodapp Sir.

I know you guys have a list for iCade games at /iCade (which could probably use a little update ;)) http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/e762/?srp=1

But I was curious if there was a list for "AirPlay enabled" games or if there was one in the works.

Zombie Gunship is actually one of the games I tried to play via AirPlay but couldn't find the option for. Then again, I didn't look very hard. But if your saying it is AirPlayable, then I will check it out again.

Which brings me to your first question. Yes everything should work via mirroring, however mirroring causes unpredictable delays. I tried to play 3 games in mirroring mode and each game worked very differently. Those three games being Beans Quest, Super Create Box, and Zombie Gunship.

Beans Quest had way to much delay to play. Super Create Box was had a slight delay that made it barely playable, and Zombie Gunship ended up being inverted somehow.

As for your second question, I guess what I'm looking for isn't exactly games where the screen on the host device is changed, but more so for games that are at least somewhat optimized for AirPlay.

The reason is because AirPlayable games is kind of an interesting concept and it could very well be "Apple's entrance" into the console market space.

The reason being that AirPlayable games are a reminder of the SuperGameBoy adapter, or at least it is for me. Which was one of the coolest thing about gameboy games because you could take them with you on the go, but once you got home you could still hook them up to your TV.

And with the console space putting out less in less attractive games each year. Mixed in with lower price points (not just $.99, but $9.99 as well), higher quantity of games, bigger market, and portability of iOS games it would smart move on Apple's part.

I haven't bothered to look up the technical aspects of optimizing a game for AirPlay, but I can only imagine that it has to take a bit of work to do. But with the limited amount of people who would use the feature I understand why it's probably a huge turn off for most developers.

Thanks to the new iPad/Apple TV upgrade, there is a pretty good chance that more people will be picking up Apple TVs in the future. Which hopefully means we will be seeing more AirPlay enabled games.

4. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
  5. Sarali

Sarali New Member

Mar 23, 2012
  6. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    We really, really need to get a working PC/even Mac solution for this. I'm not buying an Apple TV for it and it'll probably be disappointing next to my Radeon 5770, but I can think of a few games that would be sooo good on my PC screen...

7. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009