Chromodyne, Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #1 CGSColin, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Update:See my latest post in the thread here with the latest Chromodyne developments :)

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know about the puzzle game I'm currently developing for the iPhone called Chromodyne. It features a unique twist on the match-3 style by converting the playfield into a 5 concentric rings that have to be rotated to line up and match 3 pieces of the same shape and color.

I'm hoping to release it to Apple for review within the next week or two :D

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

I have a video example of gameplay on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HfAm4mfbY

And finally you can get some more info about the game at: http://celsiusgs.com/chromodyne/

Thanks for your time!

- Colin Walsh

2. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i think thats a cool idea. these match 3 games also have a different concept and i like it.

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    I'm sorry, but the stuff are just TOOOOOO small.

4. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    If you're talking about selecting the inner rings, I am planning on including an alternate method of selecting the rings instead of direct touch, but I do find with practice and the ring selector feedback (the flasing ring in the video) it does become easier over time.

If you mean the pieces are too small to see, I am also working on a few things that will make it easier to tell the pieces apart.

I'm still putting the final polish on the game so input is always welcome and I expect even after it is released to be continually trying to make the game as much fun as possible to play.

Also, I plan on releasing a lite version at the same time so you can see how it plays before you buy :)

5. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I just uploaded a teaser trailer for Chromodyne to YouTube, hopefully it gets across the light-hearted nature of the story and gives everyone a better look into how the game plays :D

6. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    #6 CGSColin, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Also, if anyone has any feedback or comments it would be most welcome! Things are still in the last legs of the development stage, so there are some final touches yet to be made. You can follow me on Twitter or check out the Devblog on my site (that gets posted to occasionally at least, might be useful for other devs at the very least :))

Thanks again for checking out Chromodyne, I really hope someone likes it :eek:

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Colin -

Watched both videos. The second video was a hands off demonstration of the the different rings turning.. Was this the alternate method? It looked nice and smooth. I am trying to think how the alternate method would work.. an up/down slider or buttons? and a clockwise / counter clockwise button set?

In the first video - there was plenty of time to turn the rings, and it looks like you need the time. If you are going to have survival, or there is going to be time pressure to get things done, if the controls don't let you quickly select the right level, people are going to get really frustrated that ring selection is causing them to do poorly.

Are there going to be different modes? Powerups? etc? I think that the concentric circle idea is good. Brings something fresh. Possibly to increase difficulty I guess that additional colors could be added? Less chance of matching them up. And, since turning the ring amkes it difficult to know what pieces you are matching up - it is both color and shape? Or color or shape? I couldn't tell.

I'll be interested to continue to follow the progress.

8. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    The 2nd video still uses the ring touch control, but originally it was very exact in that you had to touch a piece in the ring to select the ring (triangles were especially troubling in that regard). Now the entire area of the ring will be selectable and the innermost ring's selectable area will extend into the middle some. As for the alternate selection method, it will show a set of numbered "buttons" representing each of the rings, so you click the button first then drag as per usual.

I agree 100% and it would be unfortunate if the controls turned people off the game.

There will be different modes. Going to be a timed mode (free play and the story mode will involve shrinking away the "MESS" in a set time limit), and a survival mode (need to keep the black hole you see in the videos below a certain size). I also have a cool idea for a head-to-head multiplayer mode that will be going into the first update ;)

If you can pull off a match-5, a special piece will come into play that will match with any two pieces of the same type.

You have to match both color and shape.

9. swigo8

swigo8 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Pocket God island (NYC)
    looks crazy and awesome!!!:)!!!

10. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Well, it's been a while since I last posted anything. There has been a bit of a delay due to my getting married late last month :eek: however Chromodyne development continues apace and unlike a certain very famous piece of vaporware I'm confident it will not be in development for over 12 years and not see release ;)

I really appreciate all the feedback so far, and almost all the final development work is done, so things are getting pretty exciting. I figure maybe some other people might get to see this and offer some more feedback or have some more questions I can answer.

11. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Well, after a lot of hard work I can officially change "Coming Soon!" to "Coming in October!" :D

After some final shakedown testing, I will be releasing Chromodyne to Apple for review later this week. Pretty exciting stuff!

I didn't get everything I planned on getting into the first release, but I do plan on making regular updates, I only hope people enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed making it in the first place.

In the meantime, I'll just tell you what I've been working on and give you some more information about the game to whet your appetites ;)

First off, I've spent the last few weeks going through the graphical assets and "sexified" the game field up a bit. The initial shots in comparison are incredibly drab and it was very difficult to tell certain pieces apart, especially when they were far away.

So I give you the results of the Chromodyne Sexification Project:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I've put up a page introducing the "stars" of Chromodyne, the "pair of sinister aliens" I speak of in the description of the Story Mode:

Meet the Bad Guys

Here I have a page comparing Chromodyne to a similarly priced consumer good, to help individuals make the hard choice whether or not to buy my game:

Chromodyne versus a Cup of Coffee

And finally, a worrying report I found online... hopefully it doesn't affect Apple's approval process :eek:

On the Dangers of Chromodynamic Matter

Anyway, silliness aside, I will post here once Chromodyne is available on the App Store. Hopefully people like it, and even if you yourself don't like puzzle games maybe someone you know does, and you can tell them :D

12. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    oh wow, you have really done some good things on those graphics, niiiice :)

13. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I've just submitted Chromodyne to Apple for review! So excited! :D

14. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Awesome looks great!

15. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I've made a video with the final (good looking) graphics and gameplay. Unfortunately, you also get to see me too :eek:

16. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    nice video. Looking forward to this.

17. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    #17 CGSColin, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    I'm glad everyone so far has had some nice things to say about Chromodyne, but I'm a little disappointed in the lack of shameless self-promotion on my part, and you should be too! So, in order to drum up a little bit more interest in my game before release I'm going to have a little fun.

In my latest video (including a hideous peek inside the fiery depths of Celsius Game Studios) there is a mech on my desk. The first person to properly identify the mech (including in-series model #) will win the very first promo code for Chromodyne once it is released.

Should this contest end early enough, I'll also give away promo code #2 :)

Good luck!

18. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Hmm... too hard to pick out the mech maybe? No big stompy robot fans out there? :eek:

I can do hints or hot/cold if you want :p

19. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009