Universal DEMONS' SCORE - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 18, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I have unlocked 5 demons, and only one is female. And terrible haunting voice which gives me the heebies jeebies (ok I've been having too much S&S too!). I really love the default voice and cannot stand the malish voices. Maybe it is cool in Japan but I don't like it.

Also, can anyone explain to me, why when during the scenes you change from Serenity to a demon, they show a close up of the bums and top shelf? What is the purpose? It only seems to sexualize the characters and that doesn't sit too well with me...

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Most female voices are on the later parts of the game... For some reason, i love Lilith's abnormal tone, and totally hate beelzebub's JPop artist voice.

3. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok yes. Lilith, Beelzebub (its funny how she pronounces her name) and Astaroth all have female voices. But damn I like Asmodeous and Berith.

4. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I just want to confirm if my understanding of the game is correct.

1) The first track of all battles has you playing to your demons beat. For each difficulty level, the first track is similar (gets progressively harder slowly?) in terms of where you tap and all that. True?

2) The second track plays the tune of the demon you are battling against.

3) The difficulty of the first section as well as that of the demon depends on the EXP rating of the character. I guess EXP means experience as in how well you can play the game.

4) What does the DEF rating do?

5) How does your HP increase? Proportionally as you increase in LVL?

I pretty much flied through Easy mode. For some reason, because Serenity, Asmodeous and Berith were my most used characters, I could only use them on Normal mode (especially the first section) or else I die. I guess I just need to get used to the beat of the rest. But otherwise Normal was pretty doable without breaking much sweat.

Now, on hard mode, 5 times I die in a row using Serenity. But I am getting further each time so I'm takin a breather for now.

To you guys: Do you use all 10 demons, or do you see which is your favourite and your your way to the end with that?

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I went with the highest EXP gain so naturally, I played with Belial when i unlocked him, then Lilith all the way til Astaroth was available. After that i just got to Lv99 when i got to hard mode. Then it was pretty much Astaroth til I unlocked Dantalion coz i dont need the EXP anymore hitting the level cap. Im just taking a breather coz Satan is the only one left for me to play before i try to play every character in Hard mode.

The DEF rating reduces the amount of damage you take when you miss beats or get hit by the projectiles that you need to tap off.

You're right about 1 and 2, but in 1, each difficulty level is a fixed set of beats for each song. Hard mode has more beats and a double beat than normal, and has brutal sequences that alternate between swipes and taps, and Normal just has more beats you need to do compared with Easy.

As for #3, i dont think your EXP level determines the difficulty of the first song. The EXP level only increases the amount of damage you can take before it's game over. It basically just gives you more room for error.

In #5, HP increases by a fixed amount it seems, but i cant check now that ive reached the level cap. Then, depending on the enemy and the difficulty level, the damage you take for missed beats will vary.

6. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Thanks for the reply mate.

But regarding your point above, I don't quite get you. What do you mean by "EXP level only increases the amount of damage you can take before it's game over"?

So that means the higher the EXP, the "easier" the game? I thought it was the opposite.

Also, if it gives you more experience if you use a higher EXP, surely there must be some tradeoff. I cannot verify now but I think the difficulty might actually be higher.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Simply put... EXP = Level up, where Higher character Lv = higher HP, and it doesnt affect the number of beats in each difficulty level.

Trade off is that early on, the ones that give high EXP have pathetic defenses in which you take increased damage for each missed beat.

8. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    So that means it is a no-brainer that Astaroth is the best demon overall? Full EXP and near-full DEF.

Also, I want to ask you, how do you play the game? iPad or iPhone? If the former, do you place it on your laps (gripped with your thighs) or just hold it with one hand while playing with the other? Do you use your index finger or middle finger? Do you use multi-fingers as well during the main sequence, or only use multi fingers when the multi-tap huge red icon appears?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, because I may be playing the game wrongly and could learn a few things from you.

Also, do you memorize the sequence (on Hard) for the stages or follow along quickly? I find there is barely any response time if you follow along, and seems like memorizing is the only way out.

Being lvl 99, what's you HP? 2000+? Does increasing in lvl make the game harder or not?

thanks!

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess you can say that. I havent unlocked Satan yet, so he might be stronger. Once you reach the level cap though, EXP becomes a non-factor, so Dantalion becomes stronger with full Def.

Played on the 4S at first, then i transferred to the ipad3 and the experience was just so much better. I play with the pad on the table with a slight angle facing me, just like how i play Cytus and Tone Sphere, using both hands for some versatility... And using both hands is actually recommended in Demon's Score's hard mode.

Not really memorizing them, more like familiarizing with the music. I consider myself a musician (i sing in a band, make music, rewrite other songs, and play more than a few instruments decently) and following the beats by feeling comes a bit natural. But it does help a lot when replaying some stages, where familiarity becomes a bit easier with some parts being memorized.

HP caps at 999. Increasing in Lv doesnt make the game harder. In fact, it does in effect make the game easier... Similar to how most RPGs are when you grind. Except that Demon's Score only has 1 stat which is HP.

Hope that helps. :)

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Muchos gracias Exact-Psience for all the detailed and lengthy replies. Playing with both hands is gonna be a huge problem though. Currently, the only time I use my left hand is when there are the two huge red circles which you continuously hit spread on either side of the screen.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh yeah... for those... You can use as much as 5 fingers on each hand and tap away, which is only possible with an ipad. :)

12. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    You mean four fingers and one thumb per hand but who's counting!?!:)

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You can use 4 fingers on each of your hands and 2 more fingers from your little brother. :D

14. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    It's nice your little brother helps you!!!
    I'm the youngest of five brothers in total and none of them play IOS games so no help there for me!!!!!!!!!

15. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    So Exact (and everyone else), whats your highest score on any stage (track 1 or 2)? I just got a 132k round....but I know there's a lot more to come cause I'm missing a lot on Hard. Also, whats your highest combo? I reached 237 earlier. I presume if you're really good and don't miss anything, getting combos into the 1000+ region is not all that far fetched.

16. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok so today I went back to the game and I got through on Hard with Astaroth first time round....finally! Played the first 2 demons with her. Then went to Asmodeous but still felt difficult. Then went with the Italian dude for the 3rd boss (which is the italian himselfs) and managed to get through first time round. It is hard to understand how I got through the Italian first time round on hard when I actually only used him once previously in easy mode. Been using Asmodeous a lot through Easy and Medium yet cannot go through after a few tries (2 yesterday and one today). I think this is because of the higher DEF rating of Astaroth and the Italianos.

In any case, I came here to vent out my anger on one thing - the friggin boss battle are SO EASY!! I mean, it took me a while to get up and running with Astaroths beat on Hard, but I beat the first 2 bosses both on my first try. And with too much of health to spare. It was slower action too. God, I was expecting hell-like difficulty on the hardest mode. Even the 3rd boss was pretty easy. Does it get harder by the time you meet Astaroth?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^That's what i thought about hard mode bosses until i realized... It's because we are already a bit familiar with the music through easy and normal playthroughs.

This is similar to my Guitar Hero 3 experience where the first time I played Slipknot's Before I Forget on Expert mode i got 5 stars... All because i am too familiar with the song.

18. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Come on, not true. I have NEVER used the character of the second demon (the one in the golden outfit with afro hair). And I only ever played the second demon twice - on Easy and Medium. I doubt I know the tune of the demon well.

Like I said, I am more accustomed to the beats of Serenity and Asmodous yet cannot use them on Hard just yet. I am comfortable with Astoroth on Hard and have used her often in this mode - but still playing Astoroths Track 1 is considerably harder than the Track 2 bosses.

I really think this is the game's undoing ultimately. Sad. Now I wish there was the Hell mode some guys were talking about earlier.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess you're being too hardcore. Not a bad thing, but it could make the game drag for you.

I think the game's hard mode is a good balance in difficulty without being frustratingly hard. In Guitar Hero and Rockband games, I fail a lot and the songs end in the middle. Here, you still have a good chance of completing the song, but you get lower scores unless you try to work it.

That's why the other music games have practice mode, and this one doesnt, as the others require memorization more than Demon's Score.

20. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Yep. Even the end boss would be like a "6" in Jukebeat.

Inis's earlier games Ouendan 2 and Elite Beat Agents have a fourth difficulty it's really a shame that there doesn't seem to be one here.

SerenitySatan is hot btw :D I recommend forking out to unlock her.