iPad Price Model

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rylin, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I understand people getting comfortable (especially all those .99 cent fans) with cheap pricing/quick pickup-and-play games but I'm actually really excited for the higher price model going on with the release of the iPad. I may sound ridiculous but this will open the floodgates to more publishers willing to put out popular IP's on the iPad/iTouch devices. However even I realize that in some cases, we get bad ports or sub par games that developers put no effort into before releasing. On the other hand, this will hopefully lead to many great titles that actually fare really well (just look at Street Fighter IV). I may be the only one but I welcome applications and games specifically, above the $9.99 ceiling price currently going on right now.

Bring on higher priced games for the iPhone/Touch - I welcome it if it means more of the games we know and love on other systems, into our pockets. (literally)

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well as much as im into new games and ports, its worthless! The game may have been worth 20$ when it first came out, but now it maybr worth $1 on ebay! Why would i pay that original $20 to play that game from way back when on my new device that is capable of so much more!
    Life is about moving forward and trying new things. Sure it may be great to live and relive the past. but, imagine how great it is to live in the future, and be brave, and TOFTT on a brand new app!

Just sayin' :cool:

3. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    This may also mean the end of TOFTTing as we know it.

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Except in the case of THPS2. That's just awesome.

On topic, I don't like it. Mirrors Edge for example, is more expensive on the iPad than on my xbox. WTF?

5. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    These higher prices are not going to stick on the iPad side unless game sales for the iPad are so bad that it provides little benefit to drop prices (if nobody is buying games...you might as well get more $$ for the few amount of sales you are going to get). Otherwise, the App store is a free market and the lure of greatly increasing your sales with a price drop will pull at developers.

6. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    yeah. Some games there will be an exception.

But, exactly!Your getting less of a game, but for more a price? Really? did you not make enough the first time around?

BTW, that last part of my 1st post in here was inspired by Ms. Chokes on Dick (aka Miss Makes me Sick) in South Park :D

7. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Yup, unless it changed Mirrors edge was under $10 for the 360 on Amazon.com last night.

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #8 Big Albie, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    I've been playing around with the iPad this weekend, and it's a good product for what it is. The higher pricing model of the iPad apps/games will have an impact on purchases. Most of the people I spoke with weren't planning to buy many apps considering the $9.99-$19.99 pricing tag for most. While the games I've come to enjoy on the iPod Touch are great on a smaller screen, that won't necessarily translate into more sales on the iPad.

I believe that devs should get the fair pricing that they deserve, but the higher price model will force consumers to be more selective in what they purchase. That won't translate well at least in the near term for games that are not high quality or offer something appealing (e.g. graphics). TOFTT will not be same considering the higher price tag. It's much easier to spend $.99 on a mediocre game than it is $14.99, and people I spoke with are wary of spending a lot on questionable apps. Only time will determine where the pricing model sweet spot is for iPad apps.

9. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

There should just be one price, one unified game, since it's just a large iPod touch anyway. It's like charging extra for 3gs shaders next.

10. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    goddamnit, its not a giant ipod touch! Can an ipad touch run Apple's Book Store? Change the background? Browse things in a less cramped setting? Alternate the orientation on the homescreen? NO!!!! Sure a jailbreak can do this for you, but, thats not apple. So....THERE TWO DEVICES! its like saying a MBP is a giant MB....its not..at all...

11. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

sigh, double post.

12. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I personally don't think the whole iPad gaming market will do that well in the long run, if ever...

Problem is the iPad seems to move away from what made the iphone/itouch app store SO popular in the first place by being a home for "better quality" and more expensive apps. Suddenly you've got something more akin to a halfway console, where you have to really do research and think about what you're going to buy. Heck, right now the Tier 2 and low Tier 3 iphone apps are the cost of a Tier 1 iPad app...

The fact that you can browse 1000's of games, and pick up many of these with little risk or investment is what made the app store so huge in the first place. A dollar here, a dollar there, doesn't really matter much if the games suck; its almost like experimenting to find those hidden gems is a huge draw to the app store in its own right -- and then of course you can still splurge on a game you do research on and really want by spending 5 bucks or whatever.

13. namethatworks

namethatworks Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I somewhat agree you but just think about it most people just see it as such. And physically it is a larger Ipod just with allot of other stuff with it.
    If Apple had changed it slightly in it's design other than just it's size it wouldn't be seen as such.

14. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Therefore, your point is moot. It's a software limitation, not a anything inherent to the device itself. Come OS 4.x, both devices will have the same basic features.