Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    :( only 7 achievements....but i'm buying it anyway :D

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Let's hope these are not incremental ("win x times", "play x races"), or the eventually inevitable variant of the same ("unlock vehicle x", which is unlocked by playing the game for 3 hours"). I've never understood why someone would feel a sense of accomplishment from doing something that takes no skill, only an investment of time :)

Give me difficult to reach drift and jump time achievements, tackling three opponents off the road with one twist of the wheel, a smashing 90% of all the scenery and still win achievement, win the game by driving over the finish line backwards, that sort of stuff :)

3. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Trying to figure out how exactly the controls work. Looking at the screens, it's not quite clear.

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Offtopic:

You forgot Ghost Trick. Those that know how great it is will have a hard Time to choose between Reckless Racing 2 and Ghost Trick.

There is a Reason why a lot of us had bought a 3DS because of Ghost Trick and none other Game.

Ontopic:

Watch the Video, it`s clearly told that there are many different Way's how to handle it.

5. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    On the left: steering left/right
    On the right: arrow up is gas and arrow down is brake/reverse

Not that hard is it :D

I hope there is also some sort of floating joystick option for steering like in death rally, the more recent paper monsters,...
    That's my kind of controls!

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah I agree, but 7 is small. Not to really compare 2 different platforms, but Xbox achievements show that you can incorporate quite a few challenging achievements into a game.

As far as completion achievements, I really like those. they are the leaderboards of achievements. A lot of people might not invest the time or effort into a certain level/stage, so getting a completed level 20 or all 3/5 achievement can feel good/great.

7. bamloki

bamloki Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Paramedic
    Graz, Austria
    These are the seven achievements:

20 Points - Winner! - Won a race.

10 Points - Proud car owner! - Bought a car in the garage shop.

10 Points - Picasso! - Painted a car in the garage.

10 Points - Cup winner! - Won a cup in the career.

20 Points - Master of the arca... - Finish all challenges in arcade mode.

50 Points - Jay Leno wannabe! - Own all the original cars.

20 Points - Multiplayer! - Finish a multiplayer race.

8. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    While I might get this tonight, I can't help to say that the Sanuku videos shOw somewhat of a... boring gameplay. No challenge from AI drivers and the drifts just don't seem as exciting like the first game.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I can't say that I found those videos terribly exciting either. It looks alright. I might still get it, though.

10. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    The game looks great! What's your impressions on it?

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep. And achievements yield high positive response from players compared to the little time they take to come up with and implement. 7 is a small number, in game achievements just as in sexual activities ;)

You do? You have to explain that psychological mechanism to me some day ;) (Unless yer talking about mastering a level/stage in a way that actually requires skill and training, or reaching a level when the xp actually requires further accomplishments, not only more time. An achievement that simply requires time invested is nasty incremental achivement and confounds me, but one that requires training that usually only come from time invested is the kind of skill-based stuff I'm referring to :) )

But yeah, I do get the leaderboard of achievements simile, partly. Good way to describe it. But in the games I usually enjoy, the leaderboards are based on the kind of scoring and ranking that comes from playing better, not more. Even if the skill required to do so usuallty comes from time invested, it is not the same as investing more time. Some players remain unskilled even if they play for weeks and months, and thus would never make those leaderboards. (Trust me, I'm usually one of them ;) )

(And I could REALLY have done without these "achievements":

10 Points - Proud car owner! - Bought a car in the garage shop.

10 Points - Picasso! - Painted a car in the garage.

20 Points - Multiplayer! - Finish a multiplayer race.)

I'm intrigued. Didn't stick on first look when the thread went live, but will check it out again once it drops, on your recommendation :)

12. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Based on the strength of the first game and apparent improvements for the sequal yeah it should be great!

13. bazzaro

bazzaro Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I.T.
    Washington USA
    No EA

You can have things like Game Center Achievements and online multiplayer when you don't have EA publish the game. Everything EA gets a hold of (On iOS) they find away to strip out meaningful features.

14. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i want this game... naooooo

on a side note: hmmm online gameplay :D

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Not really a deeply invested psychological manifestation, unless you count a visual pat on the back as that lol. However, i do like to see an achievement pop up even if it's just for completing a level, especially since I know most iOS gamers won't even get that far--more of a snooty emotion bu hey...

Smash Cops displays this perfectly because I know a lot of people won't get every single achievement, even though, like you said, all it takes is the necessary time to become proficient. I do consider getting the best rating on a level a skill.

edit: yeah, I read back over what you said! I could care less about achievements that award you for collecting 10,000 of this or that. I could also care less about achievements that are for say, 'starting level one'. :D:rolleyes:

These iOS mornings are busy and I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself--screw proofreading! I like it when a level has designated star rankings--you get the achievement for acquiring all 3/5 stars. That's mostly what I meant by it. I also like doing stupid/crazy achievements that devs incorporate that sound almost impossible. Doing these aren't necessarily reflected on the standard leaderboard.

/rambled...oh well

Ultimately the achievements in this game are very lack luster and more challenging ones could have added to the overall gameplay.

16. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    We wanted to do more tricky achievements, but they are usually more difficult to implement than one might think, not to mention to properly test. But new achievements are possible to add in a future update, so all hope is not lost. :)

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

It's a great game! Feels verry polished and is alot of fun.

Overall this is probably my favoutire game of the year so far, since well it's the first game that really interests me this year. :p

And it runs great on my iPod while looking beautiful at the same time, so that's another great thing. :)

18. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I can't get this till midnight...... Can anybody tell us if the excellent drift mechanic from the first one is still there?

19. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    running great on an ipod touch 4?

you have just made my day :D