HD Versions of games on iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flare_TM, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi all,

You know how there are HD versions of apps (e.g. Anomaly:Warzone Earth and Anomaly:Warzone Earth HD), usually the HD version is for the ipad but sometimes its universal like Anomaly.

My question is would the HD version look better on the iPhone than the normal cheaper version? because Ive seen an example of Great Little War Game on iPhone but the same game but HD version seems like it has less jaggies?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    As far as I know, most developers simply add the larger resolution of the iPad to the game file and that's the end of it.
    This wouldn't affect the iPhone in the slightest.

Sometimes though, if a game starts on the iPad or is optimized for iPad 2, there may be graphical improvements that translate to the iPhone, but these are the exception rather then the rule.

3. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    So, When they released an iPhone version of pocket rpg... What was the point of going back and making the other one universal?

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    They already had the required graphical assets - they simply went back and added them to an already existing game.

I guess they did it as a thanks to their early supporters?

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It depends on the app.

For example:

Rage vs Rage HD - the HD version was universal and supported retina graphics.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery - both regular and HD versions are identical on the iPhone.

So... be sure to read those app descriptions before buying! ;)