Gameplay video: too bad to view?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Marat, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Hi everyone!

Could you please watch this short gameplay video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaIgkhsOZNs

We would like some feedback in terms of:
    1) video quality
    2) sound quality
    3) content quality

My general question is if this video too bad to share with customers and reviewers? Or it's fine? :rolleyes:

2. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Selfemployed gamedeveloper
    Denmark
    My notes:

What annoys me the most is sound. There is a constant hiss in the background. I think you need to redo the sound.

Recording a screen with a camera seems like a bad choice. Can't you do a screencapture instead?

I would also re-edit the trailer and show shorter bursts of gameplay instead of the length you have now. It will make it possible to show more gameplay scenarios in lees time.

3. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I agree with Jaeff on most of it, but,

Sound: The hiss didn't bother me that much, even after I plugged in my good headphones. But, if you can redo the sound it will be more professional.

Content: I don't feel that you need to make the edits shorter, as I can finally see what is happening on screen and get a feel for the game. (Comparing it to flashy professional editing) But, the overall length need to be cut down to just below the minute mark as I started to loose interest after that, since no new mechanics were introduced.

Video: If you can use a screen capture software it would look better, but since your game look compelling, I didn't think about it much.

Hope it helps.

4. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    I think doing the gameplay trailer without screen capture is fine because it is integral to show to the user how touch interactions work with the game. You don't get that knowledge passed on very well when it's a pure screen capture without the finger demonstrating the gameplay techniques.

Obviously for a sizzler or proper trailer, you'll want to go with screen capture, but to showoff gameplay I think it's fine the way you've done it. My only suggestion would be to consider providing some on screen captions perhaps that would be similar to a trailer or even do a light voice over talking about what's going on with the gameplay on screen.

You can't assume that players will understand what the game is all about from just watching the video so providing some minimal text captions or voice over can go a long way to helping players understand what is going on in this video.

Cheers,
    DP

5. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    Game looks really polished and fun, and the recording looks as good as you can probably get, maybe put the audio through noise cancelation routine in audacity or some other tool.

Maybe make a version of your game with a semi-transparent finger that shows up when you touch the screen to show the touch interactions and do a screen recording of that. I agree that touch interactions are important, but I think with most ppl doing in-game recording or at least recording the simulator the game will have a better chance.

Try using reflection app or if you have the coin Elgato Game Capture HD

6. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Denmark
    I am considering buying the Elgato Game Capture HD.
    Whats your take on it?
    Have you tried editing the video captured with it with different versions of adobe premiere?
    Have you experienced laggy recording when recording from an iPad?

7. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have only tried reflection, touch arcade reviewed the Elgato and I believe that is what they review their game with (please correct me if I'm wrong). They go into detail how much work it took to record the device with an external camera and how the elgato was a god-send. Only problem is your not getting touch visuals, so you may have to animate those in post or in-game. I don't do video editing at all, I'm getting a friend to help me with that when I do my game trailer.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/19/wwdc-elgatos-game-capture-hd-is-blowing-my-mind-right-now/

8. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    I think it might be worth getting some sort of video capture solution. You've got a bit of a vignette and some reflections from the video camera. You could probably improve the audio a lot in Audacity, but the video quality isn't really doing your graphics (which are super cute) justice.

9. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    We took into account all your feedback guys. You cannot imagine how helpful it was! I'll keep you posted about our experience in making a worthy video. I expect we will have allot of questions...

10. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Thank you very much!

11. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
  12. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    aslo I have troubles with embedding video links on this forum... can you guys give me a hint?

I go on youtube -->press Embed --> copy the link --> post it here by clicking the URL icon. What do I do wrong? :(

13. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Looks and sounds really good now :), but,

The cut scenes are a little too long, as is the overall length, especially since the music "ends" at 1.02. You don't show your app name in the beginning, only at the end (that's too late).

What one must understand, is that most people don't finish watching a trailer that long, I would say most people watch between 10 - 30 sec, so showing the app name in the beginning is a must (Just don't make it too long :)).

Also, now that I can't see you play, I would add some text description on how to play it.

14. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    [ youtube ] id# [ /youtube ]

Without the spaces

15. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    it worked man! much appreciated ;)

16. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Much better! but I still have some feedback :)

I think the last part of the trailer is the best. It clearly shows the gameplay and its comes across as cool.
    The first part of the trailer is a bit confusing with the story and the different characters mixed into it. I am not sure how I would fix this, maybe remove all the characters and get to the gameplay faster.

17. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Blackmagic makes a good capture device. $399. The game looks great. Fix the 3GS crash please!

18. Marat

Marat Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Jaeff, have to think this over... thanks! though we tried to show the story

19. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    Nice! Much better video quality.

I agree that the beginning is a little dull, but you've got a lot of slow mo in there - I think you could stick to the structure you have and just speed up the pacing. That way you'll still be telling the story, but you'll get to the good stuff before you lose people.

20. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    how much would u pay for a video creation though?