Universal Super Crossfighter (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The trailer is attractive. Looks that it's the best game which Radiangames had released.

2. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    this game is crack.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    So no tips on getting better scores? I'm starting to spam the super move to clear some levels extra fast. It's helping but I'm still no where near the top players.

How about those darkness missions. I unlocked the first through the Unlocks menu but how do I unlock the others? Is it just finishing all 30? waves?

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Unlocking everything and learning to use super at the right time is a good start. Aim for the fastest time and avoid hits to keep the bonuses high. I like to prioritize power and firing rate while avoiding armor upgrades since you're trying to pop everything quickly without getting hit in the first place. Survival 1 has a good setup, minus the armor.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah. My priorities are 1) Number of Shots 2) Spread 3) Fire rate. I try to bulk those up first then move on to shot power.

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    My scores are getting better, but the tips hopefully will help.

Anyone know about the other Darkness levels? I managed to get to wave 28 last night in Darnkess 1, but couldn't get to 30 to see if the next level would unlock. Am I on the right track or are the other levels just not available in this version?

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yes, completing Darkness Chapter 1 unlocks Darkness Chapter 2, and so on.

As for tips on improving your 1-Life score, as others have mentioned unlocking pretty much everything in the "Unlocks" section is a must. I assume you're playing on "Ace" difficulty?

As for upgrading, I don't really have a specific plan. I tend to upgrade everything pretty much evenly except for Ship Speed, Super Power, Super Segments and Gem Magnetism; I leave those til later, if I'm still alive. ;)

Yes, completing levels as quickly as possible nets you extra bonus points. Using shield or slo-mo powers strategically with Super Powers can help you clear a few levels very quickly.

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Thanks Andy. That should help. I bought all the unlocks already and while I have been playing on Ace... my top scores so far are actually on the lower difficulties.

9. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes not much to add regarding improving scores that hasn't been said already.

Unlock everything. Playing on harder difficulties nets more points - however you need to be able to survive as well, so sometimes playing on the middle or novice difficulties can give better scores until you master the levels.

For 1-life the key really is survival, you need to be able to start at chapter 1 and play right through the epilogue without a game over. That's where the middle or novice difficulty can result in better scores than ace.

For each wave there is a speed bonus and a perfect (no hit) bonus. Using supers and timely use of power ups help with this - the ideal is obviously to get both, but some levels are just too tricky so I generally make speed the priority and sacrifice perfect if necessary. Too many times I have sat on the side of the screen trying to not get hit and then getting hit anyways - so the result is both time and perfect bonus are gone. # So now I go fast and if I get hit at least I still get a time bonus.

With that you still have to balance survival - your life replenishes every upgrade cycle, use that knowledge to determine when it's safe to risk taking a hit in order for a fast level clear.

As for choice of upgrades - I have no set options to choose that would be best for everyone. That is part of the fun of the game - experimenting with the different upgrades to find which works best for you. If you consistently die at wave 28, perhaps an armor upgrade would be best during the upgrade cycle just before that. If you are clearing levels without getting hit perhaps the power upgrades are better so you can clear waves faster for more bonus points. #If you always have extra super segments available then upgrading for more segments doesn't really benefit. Etc.

10. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    A couple more thoughts:

Knowing the levels and the enemies really helps with scoring as well. If you find yourself stuck on the edge often trying to find a gap to get your ship in safely to shoot the sometimes having a wider spread shot helps pick off the enemies from the side. Other times you can get right under the enemies easily so less spread and more power is faster.# Picking off enemies from the side is slower so you have to pick and choose between speed and safety.

Use warp often! I use it to avoid hits all the time.

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I just read all that. Very good advice. I decided this evening after finding my scores were better at lower difficulties to try and play through all the normal levels on the easiest difficult and see how far I could get. It took a couple tries starting on level 1, but eventually I played through everything (including the epilogue) in one go. For that I'm 8th on 1-Life Normal!

Before doing that I tried to make progress on Darkness. I got the second level unlocked and twice died at 28 of level 2 before switching to normal.

So I missed those last tips but that's very much the approch I took that cracked the leader boards. Such a great game.

Hitting with a super right at the start of a level and going side to side with a warp early on really helps clear most levels in a split second.

12. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome!

I agree this is a fantastic game (as are all radiangames).

13. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I feel like now I need to pony up and buy another one of their games as further thanks for being so awesome. Three games owned so far and all of them are really quite excellent.

What strikes me though as sad is, of all games released last week... this one would have been my game of the week had it not been a re-release and thus disqualified from the voting. Really I'm surprised this thread and game hasn't been more popular.

14. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Inferno+ 2 is scheduled for later this month :)

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #35 nightc1, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    I'll be amongst the first in line to buy it. :cool:

16. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I own all the radiangames and really you can't go wrong with any of them.

I would love to see more attention given to this game and developer as well as they deserve it. Perhaps this thread seems quiet is because the game is a re-release, the original game had a thread around 15 pages or so and I think TA also did a review of it back when it was originally released.

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I guess there's not as much to talk about if this was a past discovery.

Hopefully this next release rockets the team into the headlines of many sites and the eyeballs of many gamers. I know for one, I'm planning on owning their whole library in the near future.

18. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    I bought Super Crossfighter for my iPad.
    Played the hell out of it on my iPhone long time ago.

As I was checking the app description, I saw that you can send radiangames an email for getting this game for free if you've bought it for your iPhone.
    But I love them so much, I spent another 2€ for it.
    It's good to see that Luke got the game back from chillingo and published it by himself.

It's still one of the best shooters on iOS and if you don't have it, get it now! (With all the other radiangames) ;)

19. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Both Super Crossfighter and Inferno 2 are currently on the Featured page in the Canadian App Store, in the Pixel Play categroy. Awesome!!! I hope that spurs a few more sales for this excellent dev of these fantastic games.

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This just got 64-bit support in an update, along with a whole bunch of other Radiangames titles:

Fluid SE
    Slydris
    JoyJoy
    Fireball SE
    Inferno+
    CRUSH!

Balistic SE is still waiting for it, but my guess is that it’s also been submitted and is pending approval.

Great to see one of my favourite iOS developers back up and running!