iPhone Hell Quest - Dice-Roller/RPG Hybrid by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by smuttlegiaco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #1 smuttlegiaco, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to give you a first glimpse of our upcoming game:

Hell Quest

Inspired by the "Divine Comedy" by Dante Alighieri, a 13th century classic, this game is a blend of skill and chance. Anyone interested in learning more about this cultural treasure should visit this great site featured by the university of Texas at Austin.

We used rules from the poular dice game "10000", also known as "Farkle", modified them, added a pinch of smuttlewerk to it - et voila: a dice-rolling-roleplaying game emerged! It took us long months to come to the point where we were satisfied with what we show you now. If you had seen the first prototypes of the game (based around a lusty Succubus) - we ourselves couldn't have foreseen what the game is about now. :)

Players will fight their way through the circles of hell, battling demons and sinners and collecting beautifully crafted special dice by fighting the guardians of the different circles. Each boss has 2 special dice and one very-rare die. All of these can only be obtained by defeating the boss. The dice for each boss all look differently and have special values, like, for example, two symbols on one side.

Before anyone asks: of course you will have the chance to test your skills against Lucifer himself! :D

The game will be free to play and universal. No money is needed to play the game, but you can speed up progress by buying premium features or using "Souls" to reduce wait times for certain game mechanics.

In total players will be able to play with 7 different characters: Man of Faith, Protector, Saint, Spiritual Being, Paladin, Prophet and Angel. Each one has 3 attributes (hitpoints, mana regeneration and reserve dice), 3 active skills (Thaumaturgy) and 2 passive skills (Blessing). The maximum level for each character is 70.
    The active and passive skills for are unique for each character, so each has a different playstyle.

In the beginning, all circles of hell have 3 basic enemies and one boss. The power of the skills and attributes of your enemies are calculated randomly before each battle.

Multiplayer is planned, but won't make it into the release of the game.

2. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Let's begin with your first character: Man of Faith

[​IMG]

Active skills:

Cross of Healing
    Each cross heals xx hitpoints.

Enfeeblement
    The current result of the enemy is reduced by xx.

Elicitation
    The current reserve dice of the enemy are lowered by xx.

Passive skills:

Rootage
    You receive xx mana for all active skills at the beginning of each battle.

Sanctuary
    xx of your result survives if your last throw didn't feature a valid die.

The first battleground:

Inside the Gate of Hell: Cowards

The cowardly souls, those who were neither good enough for heaven nor evil enough for hell, are tormented by vermin and swarms of insects. In the distance you see the Acheron, the boundary river of hell. The ferryman Charon relentlessly transports the souls of the sinners to the opposite bank.

Basic Enemies:

[​IMG]
    Lukewarm Soul
    This one has only one skill, called "The Great Coward", which will reduce damage inflicted to him.

[​IMG]
    Evil Soul
    Evil souls can be mean enemies. They have an attack skill which will instantly reduce your hitpoints.

[​IMG]
    Insect Swarm
    The skill of these little bloodsuckers will replenish their hitpoints every time they inflict damage to you.

Boss:
    [​IMG]
    Charon
    Charon is the first boss. He features two skills: an attack skill, just like the evil soul and another one which will reduce the speed with which your dice turn. By slowing you down, he can finish his round before you and thus force you to either loose points by finishing quickly or by getting more mana if you decide to play on.

Here's a screenshot of a battle situation:

[​IMG]
    As you can see the lukewarm soul was very lucky with his roll. He rolled 5 lightnings, which will give him 150 points once he has selected all of them. At the time I took this screenshot, he has chosen 3, giving him 50 points.

My roll wasn't as lucky. I have 2 skulls and 2 bones, equalling 40 points. If I would continue playing, I'd choose only one die (either skull or bone) and continue rolling, hoping I'll be able to get a double. I still have 3 reserve dice (the number in the lower right), so if I choose on die, my next roll would again be with 8 dice, but my reserve is lowered to 2.

Ok, enough for the first post. The next one will explain some more game mechanics and feature more battle situations.

Have fun and take care!

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Will this be iPad exclusive or might there be iPhone/iPod compatibility?

4. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    it's universal. although older devices (iPod4/iPad1) with 256mb won't work.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's unfortunate that this will be free-to-play; there are so many bad freemium models that I'm adversed to it although I'm sure Smuttlework will be fair.
    How close are you to release?

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    we plan to release the game in March. perhaps we will also do a test run in some minor markets to check things out and tweak before we go live worldwide.

F2P: as I wrote above, you don't need to pay. paying customers will just grind faster.

7. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #7 smuttlegiaco, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    here's a little video showing my Man of Faith fighting an insect swarm. the graphics aren't final. I've recorded with an iPod in my hand, so the video is a little shaky.

I'm playing quite fast, but I wanted to show you something today. next time I do a video in slomo! ;)

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, I love dice games.

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks BazookaTime!

we pimped the game quite a bit since my last post. It really looks beautiful now. :) I will post a few screens later this evening or tomorrow.

10. BazookaTime

Awesome...looking forward to this.

11. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    here we go, the promised screenshots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BazookaTime

Love it, great art.

13. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Wow! Looks really nice! Looking forward to the release! :)

14. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thanks guys!

the game is nearly finished and we'll upload tomorrow. count yourself lucky if you're from Canada or Austria, because people from these countries will be able to play the game before the rest of the world. :D

15. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Nice work on it. I like the simultaneous dice rolling. Good feature there. Pretty cool when you expand a very simple game like farkle and make something unique out of it. Best of luck!

16. Prophecy07

Prophecy07 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Looks nice, but I see something worrying. Are those two resources I see at the top of the screen? And, if so, how "necessary" is the IAP of additional pay-resource?

17. clifton50

clifton50 New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    #17 clifton50, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Roughly idea, when it is going to be held? I am desperate to know about it.

18. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @racingspider: thanks!

@prophecy07:you won't need any money to play the game. and no part of the game gets locked up if you don't spend. spending money on souls, our premium currency, will allow you to learn skills faster, prolongate prayers and lastly allows you to buy a Premium account (like in "World of Tanks") with which you gather the spiritual resources needed to skill your characters faster. after each battle you also have the chance to cleanse the soul of the fiend you just slain, so you get premium currency through the game also.

long story short: buy souls - more resources - less grind.

I forgot: souls are also used for healing in between battles within the same mission. but your character also regenerates 100HP per hour, so spending isn't mandatory. if you die, spending souls for reviving your character is mandatory though - so if you die in a mission, you either spend a few souls or cancel the mission and start anew (with full HP).

@clifton50: the game will be out in mid-March if all goes as planned.

19. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #19 smuttlegiaco, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #20 Misguided, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    Looks good, but the trailer kind of ends on a whimper.
    So the game is more grindy without IAP...hmm.