Multiplayer hosting... committment

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arkanigon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I was wondering... for those of you that have developed multiplayer games... I was worried about this situation... suppose you sell an app that has multiplayer cabability... then later on for whatever reason you can't afford the hosting plan... and you're forced to get rid of multiplayer...

Now, do your customers have some type of legal ground to sue you for removing the multiplayer functionality the game initially had? Or can they ask for a refund?

2. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    #2 Zandog, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    The (UELA) end-user license agreement should protect you from this as you can state in the acknowledge of purchasing the software, the developer may add, delete or modify the software update at any time without notice. It's pretty straight forward and highly recommended to protect yourself, the developer and your software. I don't know any legitimate software developer that doesn't type this document up or get a template to reflect their software's needs.

3. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks. Appreciate it.

4. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Well... here's a link to the standard EULA agreement for anyone interested :

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/appstore/dev/stdeula/

I guess this is the relevant part:

"The Application Provider, and its licensors, reserve the right to change, suspend, remove, or disable access to any Services at any time without notice. In no event will the Application Provider be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any such Services. The Application Provider may also impose limits on the use of or access to certain Services, in any case and without notice or liability."

5. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Good find. Judging by the rest of the content, any app submitted and approved for sale by appstore is covered by this EULA