Why does not anyone like this?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dirnaiefne, Aug 25, 2011.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Because it has been done.....

There's too much Table Tennis games on the App Store. We like unique games.

2. dirnaiefne

dirnaiefne Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    Do you think all Table Tennis games are about the same? I play games for fun, not for "unique".

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well there's no money in Table tennis games..... There is in Unique ones.... :p

4. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    That's not the reason...how many FPS's does the App Store have? How many are by Gameloft alone?

The reason is because the screen for the iPhone/iTouch are generally too small to accommodate precision in these kinds of games, which is unfortunate because, well, a huge aspect of the games are precision!

5. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Agreed, and saying that there are 'too many' table tennis apps as someone said is far off base, at least if you mean quality ones. This is one of the best two out there already, and tons of fun by itself (and free!). But yeah, it's often hard to work on the small screen of the itouch, but this one pulled it off fairly well, and it's actually FUN! Who doesn't love to smash :D. And i dunno why anyone would not like having multiplayer in this game, it looks awesome! (hopefully there's not much lag if any though, as there wasn't any in the video) And will there be a points system for MP as well?

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    We all play games for fun, but what I think is fun or what you think is fun may not be what the vast majority of players think is fun or want.

Think about it this way:
    • What are the most popular games?
    • Why are they popular?
    • What do people like about them?
    • Why do they play games in the first place?

When you know the answers to those questions, it might make a bit more sense as to why people like/dislike your game.

Hope that helps, I know it's tough work developing games. But good luck!

7. AN.momo

AN.momo Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    #8 AN.momo, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Sports games are always a bit difficult because they mostly appeal to people who play this sport.
    Mainstream sports like soccer or football, baseball and basketball have huge fan communities all over the world, so they'll sell better than a table tennis game.

However, your game looks pretty polished and an iPad wouldn't have the precision problem. Why won't you release it for the iPad and make it freemium? I think that would be best, because this tennis stuff naturally fits on a touchscreen :)

On top of that, you should write some table-tennis related magazines about your game, send them your press release etc etc! You can do so much more here.

Finally, I've to say that sports games seldom interest me, because I like about games that I can do things I can't do in real life. For soccer, basketball and table tennis I simply go out with some friends. If I wanna hunt some zombies down, however, I can do this on my digital devices only^^

Good luck, though, and mind my advice!

edit: I just looked at your game in appannie and saw that both versions were featured in iTunes (pro: 50 times, hd: 30 times) and the non-free hd version remains around place 100 in the family charts, so it's not like nobody likes it. Are you willing to say how much copies you sell each day?

8. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Not the reason.