About Love, Hate and the other ones - (by Black Pants Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Oct 23, 2012.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I appreciate why you chose to do what you did - but there are probably a lot more iPhone 5 users out there now than 3GS users (if nothing else the 3GS plastic case is probably brittle and cracked by now!). 3GS and iTouch 2nd Gen owners are used to heartbreak by now - but us iPhone 5 users are still madly in love... don't break our hearts too...!

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    ... having said that, bought this anyway and I'm really impressed - what a lovely game - and it really doesn't matter that iPhone 5 is not currently supported.

3. digitalhoax

digitalhoax Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    As this seems to be what most people think is fair and would like to see happen, we will go with this. Once the iPad version is ready, the version in the AppStore right now will become universal. There will be however an update without iPhone 5 / iPad support to fix any upcoming bugs, so users with older devices can benefit from it (as of now, we didn't get any bug reports, but as @TheFrost pointed out to us, we need to rework the spanish translation). We don't want any users to be left in the cold. I hope this way everyone can enjoy the game as it is right now and revisit it when an iPad and iPhone 5 update comes out.

4. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Sounds great - can hardly wait! :)

5. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Me neither :D

Our current plan is to release the updates in the following order:

1.Fixes (no reports yet, touch wood) - This is to make sure that all devices get the bugfix update

2.iPad1/2/3/4 - This will have full retina support on the iPad3/4.

Optional 2.5 Levelpack update. We have already received the wish for more levels, so we will include either a levelupdate or a mechanism to update levels without updating the app via the store, so update number 3 doesn't prevent people from getting new levels.

3.iPhone5 - This will be the update people with older devices won't be able to install. Full support for the iPhone 4" retina screen.

This might not be 100% accurate, any suggestions welcome, just so you know what our plans are right now.

Happy puzzling and thanks for playing!

6. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    A little status update from us and ways to keep in touch:

Even though we didn't get an Apple Feature (yet, maybe :p), we made it to the top three in games (german store).

[​IMG]

Thanks so much everyone for your support!

There is a little code giveaway by Black Pants Studio, they are sharing codes via facebook and twitter.

Twitter: @blackpantsgames and @boutLoveAndHate
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BlackPantsGameStudio

We will continue working on our universal version of the app which will come as an update to the current version. We try to get our hands on one of those iPad Minis asap so we can test whether everything works as expected before releasing.

Cheers!

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This worth my dollar?

8. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    You will have to make this very, very clear for people with older devices. Apple doesn't make it easy to not install an update, nor do they make it easy to save older versions of a program so you can reinstall them should you update accidentally. Once you break your game for older devices, you will have a lot of unhappy customers. Hard to say if it'll be as many as are unhappy about no iPhone 5 support, but that's just the way it is.

9. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    Give it a shot, if it is not, I will paypal it back to you :p

This is not how it is going to work. The iPhone 5 update will not even be presented to people with older devices. You won't be able to break your install of the game. If you need further technical details, I am happy to explain.

Thank you for your interest in the game and happy puzzling!

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Don't have PayPal, but appreciate the thought :) that sentence could possibly make me buy it :) its a busy week tho, if it wasn't for like 7 other apps im eyeing on, I'd already buy this

11. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I hope you update the game to universal support before updating iPhone 5 support.. I think alot of ppl would be annoyed if they missed out on the universal update after buying this game to play on iPad only..
    I'll probably be finished the game by then and delete it so it probably won't effect me too much, but others like to keep the game on their device for longer.. Haven't played again for a while.. Last time I played was last time I posted, got up to 33. Tough level to crack. Will try to get through another big chunk today on my break and way home.

12. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    #52 digitalhoax, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    Sorry for the delay.

No worries about the updates. Even in case we did update to iPhone 5 first, which is not planned, as a user with an iPad you will always be able to download the iPad version. This will only affect updates on the older devices, not iPads. And it is happening all the time in the AppStore. With any new update titled "iPhone 5 support added" support for the older devices is dropped, but those users won't notice right away as those updates aren't even displayed to them afaik.

Good luck with the rest of the game and enjoy the puzzling!

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #53 TheFrost, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Finished!

Good: Lots of puzzling fun, and some fun platforming fun too. Fun characters to hear, watch and smile to. Excellent art design and animations. As you progress, you will find the Other Ones, who gives a nice twist and add a lot to the gameplay, one at a time. Well thought puzzles

Bad: Some control issues switching characters and tapping where to go (but there is a button for that). Minor issue. No GameCenter inclusion. Somewhat on the easy side, didn't take much to complete it

Conclusion: A puzzling gem created with love and passion, and it shows. Puzzle/Platformer hybird fans, get this

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 (Great)

14. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    @TheFrost Thanks for that great feedback!

We have some updates about the game. We are (almost) finished with all the iPad assets, which means there is some coding and testing to be done but we are getting there. I have a working iPad version on my device and it runs and looks great, but there might be an issue regarding the universal app version.
    Our current app size is roughly 30mb, which was a tough mark to reach, we basically optimized everything there was, i.e. graphics and sound and music, so people could download this over-the-air. Apples filesize limit is 50mb for this, so we did a good job. Our current universal app size is 86mb. Sound and music didn't change, so the additional 56mb is all graphics. We included iPad and iPad retina graphics in this build. And now that we have all this nice artwork ready, we definitely want to deliver it.
    If we make this a universal update it means everyone has to download 56mb of additional iPad stuff even if they are on an iPhone or iPod touch. And while this might not be a problem for users at home, no one would be able to update over-the-air and new customers would not be able to buy at all while on the move. This isn't good. We will try to further reduce size and if we get within the 50mb ota limit, all is good, we will just update the current version to fully support iPads. If we don't get there, we might have to actually deliver a seperate iPad version :(
    In case we do have to go with two versions, we will have the iPad version on sale for starters and let all you guys know, so you can get it for .99$ which in case you have already bought the iPhone version, sums up to 1.98$ which is just what the universal app would have been priced at. I hope this works for everyone.

Some non-iPad news: We are working on a new setting and some new levels, as some people complained about how easy/short the game was (while others got stuck pretty early, hard to find the best approach). All of this will also come as an update.

Have fun and let us know what you think!

15. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Finished.

As mentioned, game is a bit on the easy side, but I've enjoyed the clever level design nontheless

Hope to see more levels coming. What a lovely game. :)

16. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    We just released the first content update and the iPad version of the game!

10 new levels in a whole new setting!

A magical new other one! The magic one!

iCloud sync.

As discussed above, there are now two versions in the App Store, iPad and iPhone. We have a massive amount of graphics, all different between iPhone and iPad, so we had to split things up to keep the download size reasonable. Considering the amount of additional work that went into making the HD version for the (retina) iPad we think the price for the iPad version is very justified. Watch out for more content, additional levels to keep you entertained are just around the corner!

17. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    #57 Xexist, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Seconded! The art is really nice :)

*Didnt realize how old that post was :p

18. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    On cue to play again thos christmas, see the magic one and take advantage of iCloud for next update

19. digitalhoax

Oct 21, 2012
    #59 digitalhoax, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Hi, we are glad that the level update makes you want to replay. Next time you get back to playing, iCloud will have your data backed up. Unfortunately your progress is not synced between iPad and iPhone versions yet, we are working on a hotfix right now. iCloud does work on the iPhone version though!

The next update (which will be released rather soon, compared to this one) will contain:

* iCloud fix (sync between iPhone and iPad versions)
    * 10 more levels
    * full iPhone 5 support

There is also a new video to promote the iPad release: video

20. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I didn't know the iPad version was out! I already have the iPhone version, but I feel another purchase for playing this on my iPad is totally worth it! It's a fantastic game! :)