iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    #61 Bullwinkle, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    The situation you described left you with a 97.8% chance to win (assuming you weren't rerolling a yellow)...which, unfortunately, isn't 100%.

In terms of play, I'm not sure that holding dice is a good strategy when they're being held for anything other than the next ordered task. The advantage of fixing symbols for when you get to the final stage may be offset by making it less likely that you will complete the next stage, since the locked dice aren't available to fulfil that stage's requirements. I'd be curious to find out if that's true.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not that it might have made much of a difference here but remember, yellow glyphs have no Terrors.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I used a team that was all high sanity. That way if a person failed to seal Cthulhu the next investigator would have a better chance since they can now hold another glyph, if they failed then the next investigator would benefit from the two extra, etc.

LG: I'd love to see the boards separated as I've thought about going to the Yig campaign (never actually played it) and grinding on the easier tasks to end up with a much higher score than I could get with Cthulhu's higher penalty rate

4. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    A 2.2% chance of failure? Why couldn't I have that sort of reverse luck when I was playing the Mega Millions 2 weeks ago?!

Normally I wouldn't have locked glyphs for the final stage so early, but I figured my chances with (at the time) 4 glyphs and 6 re-rolls made it worth the risk (even more so after my next roll turned up a wild card).

Anyway, it ticked me off, but I'll be back at it tomorrow. It's hard to hate on anything Lovecraft.

5. Youjinbo

Youjinbo Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Art Director/Illustrator
    Springfield, MO
    I love this game!

Bring on more expansions, quickly!! Plus I hope FFG continues to bring more quality games like this to the app store. I'd like to see Drakon, Runebound, Fury of Dracula, Talisman.

6. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Yig has a shorter Doom counter. Every time I've played that campaign, I've ended up with a much lower final score vs. my Azathoth clears... I don't think there's sufficient time to grind for a high one, and I figure that's intentional. (You're welcome to try, though! I don't claim to be an expert at this game.)

I've been too cheap to buy the Cthulu campaign, Yig is a hit with friends :)

7. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Just logged in and the game is asking me to repurchase the Cthulhu expansion that I purchased previously. If I say yes, will it give me the "this item was purchased previously" message and the redownload? I don't want to pay for it twice.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If you've already purchased this for ESO HD I'm sure you'll not be recharged BUT if it was via ESO iPhone, I don't think two apps can share an IAP and you would need to pay for it separately.

I've seen over the years knowledge of IAPs often lost in upgrades (one of the reasons I HATE consumable IAPs, like game bucks as, more often than not, no record of these IAPs is maintained) but can confidently say, after 100s of apps with IAPs, have almost never been recharged for the IAP (and the one time it did happen the AppStore staff was more than willing to work with me and grant a refund).

9. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Assuming the IAP is properly flagged as non-consumable, not charging again is ensured by Apple. It just returns a "yes, they bought it" response without actually collecting money again. The app doesn't know the difference.

10. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    I am very late to the party, but I just grabbed this over the weekend and I am having an absolute blast with it. Sure, I have only won once, but that is beside the point. :eek:

I need to figure out what all of the symbols mean when I am looking at the "room preview" screen, as that should help matter somewhat. I'll hit Google (and the game itself) but if anyone knows of a pic/site with that information, please let me know.

Off to get devoured again!

Dave

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Do you mean the victory and penalty symbols at the bottom?

If you tap the clock to pause the game
    Tap Help Guide
    Scroll down til you see "Adventures" in yellow
    Scroll down a little further and you'll see "Rewards" and "Penalties" in white
    Tap on one and you'll see a guide list to the symbols :)

12. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    The icons you're thinking of are what sort of items you get and what sorts of penalties occur when you lose. Footprint is clue and star is Elder Sign, those ones are the most important IMO.

13. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks to you both for the help!

I still haven't beat the middle boss, but playing the Cthulhu level I made it to the ocean! Now I get to figure that out next. :)

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow, this seemed to come out of nowhere!

While I honestly haven't touched the game in eons, I HAD to snag this IAP ASAP! Sick theme, slick UI, and a cool detailed scoring system.

15. DrRadon

DrRadon Active Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Very good adone!

16. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I love this game, and now I have more reasons to do so!

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Love the game, hate the fact that it's not universal.

Oh well, I'm sticking with 2x mode for now.

18. sortvind

sortvind Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    this game is amazing...
    left me with dry eyes and sleepless nights.
    well worth it?

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How does this statement end in a question? ;)

20. FoolishEarthling

FoolishEarthling Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I don't know?