Gamepad for iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Mar 23, 2009.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
  2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #2 don_k, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    It's been in development for quite a long time, but I wasn't too excited because it would only be available to JB games and my iPhone is non-JB.

But when firmware 3.0 was announced, I think it might actually be used by AppStore games too. This way, games like Mario Bros or Tekken or Real Soccer could work properly.

Cons is that it's not comfortable to carry around, but I really wouldn't mind having it to play the aforementioned games :D

I'm interested to have a discussion on that and hear what the TA family think about it. I personally feel it's an exciting possibility in iPhone gaming world.

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

The problem I have with this gamepad is, that it is too wide. There's no need to not cover the sides of the iPhone. They could easily make about 4cm smaller, if the gamepad would cover the left and right side of the iPhone, so that you only see the display. The D-Pad for example would then be where the Home button is.

4. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    One thing I would like out of this is a control stick. It would make all those 3D games a breeze to play.

5. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    it will work with 3.0 now :)

6. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    If it were that narrow, it would surely have to a lot thicker. The D-pad/buttons have a limit to how 'thin' they can be, as they need sensors to be placed behind them. The sensors being too thin will limit how responsive they are/how well they work.

Also, the home button might be pressed accidentally.

Oh, and you are potentially going to damage your device by pushing against either ends for long periods.

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    That actually looks pretty cool. once 3.0 comes out i'll be looking for this. more games will probably appear because of the fact that developers don't have to be so creative with the controls anymore.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Sadly, the only way a gamepad is going to catch on is if Apple releases one first for the rest of the third party manufacturers to use as a reference design. Otherwise we're going to end up with games which were built for (hypothetically) Belkin's gamepad which only has three face buttons, Griffin's gamepad which has an analog stick but only two face buttons, etc.

Without someone setting the standards, it's going to get hairy.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #9 don_k, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Analog stick? yes that would be great to play games like Payback and Ninja Gaiden. We don't have to sacrifice our screen anymore for virtual buttons.

But putting the D-pad near the home button is like the original DS design flaw (putting D-pad near power button). Anyway, they don't have Apple engineering team behind so let's give them credit for what they've done. I'm more interested in the possibility it offers than judging it as a final product. Let's not be too literal ;)

Posts copied from 'iPhone 3.0' thread:
    What if one company manufactures it and sets it as de facto standard? It would surely be a mess to have different pads for each game.

Game Gear was ahead of its time. If only it had been more well thought and had a decent battery, it wouldn't have been a failure it was. Anyway, from the rendering we can see it's not ugly. Yes the one on the youtube clip is ugly, but that's just prototype for testing.

I believe it can look as good as some iDevices accessory (like those speakers or battery extender).

10. foolishwolf

foolishwolf Member

Mar 11, 2009
    marketing intern
    Ohio
    Hodapp makes a very good point.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The problem with the Game Gear was the hardware wasn't similar enough to the Game Boy to make porting games to both a realistic development choice. If you were designing a game, you chose the massive Game Boy user base as potential customers instead of the fledgling Game Gear user base.

Pretty much the story of Sega's post-Genesis life. Release decent hardware that no one wants to waste time developing for.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Exactly. This would be a beautiful thing for all those lazy big companies who want to make money with minimum efforts by porting their decades-old franchise.

13. posterized

posterized Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Yes he does.

I just hope the standard includes dual analog controls.

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hodapp's right, maybe instead of any random company, it's Apple who should make de facto standard. It's in their interest to attract big game companies, and this thing would surely help.

But I feel bad for the guys who've developed the prototype, they will get nothing if Apple introduce their own game controller.

15. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    meh I don't like the idea of a gamepad for the iPhone. It'll just lower potential features of gameplay that could be found with people trying to develop a way around touch screen gameplay. Plus it's just this outer shell that snaps on the phone which just makes it bigger and cluckery in the pocket.

I think Gameloft created a great analog stick in Hero of Sparta that more devs should incorporate rather than the virtual d-pad. Also there are some great games with dedicated screen room for buttons that work well as is the same with motion controls.

Having a snap on gaming pad I guess would help those traditionalists that demand every game to play the same but it would take away the spazas that you can get with the gameplay of the iPhone.

16. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    This controller is my dream for the iPhone. This could broaden what is possible with an iPhone game even more.

How does this handle sound? Does the system have a speaker output as well? I know if my finger so much as touches the iPhone speaker it'll go mute, let alone having a plastic cover over it.

17. I think that this is a great idea but I personally wouldn't use it since it defeats the purpose of unique iPhone gaming. If I wanted a D-pad and buttons I'll pick up a PSP :p

18. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah I feel the same way. I mean, I'm sure many will want to own them, but for me, I got an iphone as a replacement device for all the crap I used to lug around with me. I want to be able to just toss my iphone in my pocket. If I start adding all sorts of stuff then it defeats the purpose and I may as well just get a PSP or DS.

19. If I seen it and were able to try it out I definitely would but I like the traditional iPhone way of playing.

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This is all true, but with the present methods of input, we're resorted to puzzle, casual, and racing games. No decent fighters have come out because they require a bit of precision. N and N+ haven't been ported because a decent control scheme couldn't be thought up. People want platformers. The ControlPad is inevitable.