My App doesn't make any downlaod, what should I do???

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Yeasin, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Yeasin

Yeasin Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I have an app named "Giddy Match" ---is a puzzle solving game. It was released on Nov,2010. But didn't make so much response to the user! The download of this app is very poor.

What should I do to increase the download?:)

2. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry man, the app store is brutal. I released a game late 2009 and only got my first royalty cheque this week (makes me laugh :p). There is just so many apps on there that even good apps slip through the cracks. I would think that you need a solid product so word of mouth sells the game and you also need to market it extremely well. I think once an app has momentum you get quite a few sales but it is really hard with so many being released so often. Better luck next time dude :(

Summary:
    1) Solid Product with lots of polish
    2) Marketing is King

3. AlexADGC

AlexADGC Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Funnily enough, I can't find it in the app store. :p

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    It's iPad only. So if you are looking from an iPhone or iPod Touch, you won't see it.

5. AlexADGC

AlexADGC Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Ahh, that would explain it.

Well, I suppose making some quality free games and advertising yourself through sites such as these would be good, and would increase your 'fame' as such. Then you can make some great, unique addictive games which people may like. That's just coming from a consumer perspective, though.

6. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    you said it best. luck plays a part when u are an indie developer.

not so much when u are working for those top dudes which shudnt be in the app store imo.

7. Yeasin

Yeasin Member

Jan 25, 2011
    well, would you tell me how you will do that!

I have several games and I will give you those.:):)

8. AlexADGC

AlexADGC Member

Jan 5, 2011
    #8 AlexADGC, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    Well I suppose you should make them as appealing as possible, ask for ideas and improvements from forums like these and advertise! I took a look at Giddy Match, and it already looks very polished - how about starting by porting it to the iPhone as a free release and then spreading the word? That would be a good way to expand your audience. :D

Oh, and if I had to change one thing from the game, it'd be the font on the top bars while you're playing. Just me, though. :p

9. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Let me add to this list.
    3) See #2
    4) See #2
    5) See #2
    6) See #2

:)

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeep, marketing is everything. Once people see it on popular websites. They download it and tell their friends. And it goes on and on from there.
    One suggestion is ask FreeAppADay to feature your app

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    marketing, marketing, marketing. ooops has this been said a couple of times before? my bad!

yeah, it's been said a billion and one times, at least. the store is so overcrowded with product now that unless you have something really drastically wild to help set you apart (and, even then...) there's very little chance that anyone will ever know you've released anything if you are a no-name developer. A lot of time and energy must be spent polishing up your app visually, name and icon are of high importance, and then really getting the word out somehow is what it is all about. You can work hard to do that yourself through all manner of tech's and planning - but ultimately to get through to the mass market these days you just need eyeballs, and either spending the money to get there or something particularly crafty on your end, otherwise.

Oh, and there's also prayer ;)

12. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Does FreeAppADay post anything that isn't paid for? Last I heard they charge a pretty penny to be listed there...though I could be wrong.

That would be cool if they didn't charge for listing an App (every now and then) that they simply wanted to give some exposure to...to help out the Indie devs and all.

13. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Some suggestions to the OP:

Maybe, as one person posted, make an iPhone version or make it universal.

Hit some iDevice sites that review apps and contact them with promo codes to review your app. Maybe ask them to interview you if they like your app or write up a press release to send them announcing your app.

Contact some users here who could offer a review on iTunes for a promo code, can usually wade through some high traffic threads and find good candidates for sending codes to. Maybe pm them first to see if they have an iPad and see if they have an interest in offering a review.

Maybe start a contest here and build some excitement for your game through this contest, would work for other sites too. There was a great thread for Daredevil Dave that the developer used to build excitement for his game before it even came out that was very well done.

Imo, putting your app free or doing the FAAD thing would be the kiss of death on making any money with your app as everyone would think if they missed it when it was free, they will get it the next time it is free.

The assumption will be, once free, it will be again and they will wait until it is again.

Good luck with your app and hope you can make a go of it.

David

14. Yeasin

Yeasin Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion.

15. Yeasin

Yeasin Member

Jan 25, 2011

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.:):):):):)

16. AlexADGC

AlexADGC Member

Jan 5, 2011
    No problem! Good luck! :D