DECROMANCER - BATTLE CARD RPG (by unit9.apps)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Diplomat_in_training, Jul 28, 2013.

1. #1 Diplomat_in_training, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Hi there,
    we're excited to announce Decromancer, a new free-to-play battle card RPG that’s coming to iOS and Android soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ABOUT:

The tactical card battling game that puts you at the core of a whirlwind adventure across an epic storyline!

Explore a hand drawn world where almost all species have evolved into a humanoid form. Advance further into enemy territory by challenging and defeating the AI in tactical turn based combat, where formation is key and your cards abilities matter. Unlock and recruit more cards by completing quests and befriending the locals. Learn powerful spells that can turn the tide of battle in order to defeat more powerful enemies and advanced AI commanders.

FEATURES:

• Command forty unique hand-painted cards, each with their own tactical advantages and powers.
    • Explore a large, beautifully illustrated open world.
    • Outmaneuver your opponents in deep turn-based combat, requiring forethought and strategy.
    • Cast powerful spells to turn the tide of battle.
    • Unlock new cards as you progress to supplement and improve your army.

RELEASE:

Game release is planned for September 2013

PLATFORMS:

iOS and Android devices.

BETA-TESTING:

We'll be entering beta in a few weeks, so if you are ready to battle the enemy now, you are welcome to join the front ranks! Here is the link where you can sign-up: http://bit.ly/1bKE98e

MORE INFORMATION:

To find out more about the game, visit us here http://decromancer.tumblr.com/, or follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/TheDecromancer

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm super-intrigued by this. The battle system reminds me a bit of an excellent (and unfairly underrated) console RPG from 360/PS3 called Enchanted Arms. It also had a divided battlefield like that and different attacks targeted different patterns of squares.

A couple of questions:

Can units move once placed on the battlefield?
    Is there any sort of combo system where multiple attacks from different units onto the same target give a bonus?
    Does the day-night cycle on the map affect gameplay in any way? If it is only cosmetic, I'd prefer it weren't there.

I'm not an art expert by any stretch of the imagination, but a couple of things. The first screenshot you have up there (cliffside city of some kind) doesn't seem representative of the quality of the work. Looking at your tumblr page, I like the art style, but something seems "off" with the ink work. I think maybe the line weights are too uniform or something. Again, I'm not an artist, so please take it with a grain of salt.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Cool. Looking forward to it

4. Hi there, thanks for the feedback, really glad we've piqued your interest. I've never heard of Enchanted Arms, will definitely have to check out some Lets Play videos.

In answer to your questions:

- Units can be moved on the battlefield, but they'll have to wait a turn before attacking or performing any other action, so you need to be careful when moving healers around.
    - That's a good idea about the combos. We don't have any combos at the moment but we do have spells that can 'power up' your allies. In the case of cards that damage multiple slots this tactic can really deal some serious damage.
    - At the moment the day/night cycle is just cosmetic, but I do quite like the idea of cards being affected by it. That said it might be just annoying to have to wait until night before starting a battle, so we'll see if it stays or not.

The artwork is something we would like to devote more time to, but we've decided to focus more on delivering a lot of different cards to ensure tactical variety, rather than polishing the design.
    Still, I think we've got a super talented illustrator, and with all the cards being hand-painted we’re really happy in general with the art considering how much of it there is.

5. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Enchanted Arms had a smaller battlefield, each side was four spaces wide and three rows deep, but as a party-based RPG where you controlled no more than 4 units at once, that was enough. You could move and attack on the same turn, and positioning was important both offensively and defensively (e.g. Some attacks could be blocked by having a character in front of a more fragile one). The game had a damage multiplier where if multiple characters overlapped attacks, each successive one increased the multiplier. One of the nice things about this was that even if a particular attack wasn't very damaging against an opponent, it could still help increase the multiplier, letting you do crazy damage with the last attack.

Between the positioning, importance of attack order, buffs, elemental properties, etc. the combat had a puzzle-like quality. I don't expect your system to be identical, but hoping it will have a bit of that same puzzle quality.

6. Thanks for the insight into the game. I had a quick look at some footage of Enchanted Arms. One thing I was wondering about is if you could ever get a situation where an enemy could stay on the back row, but you didn't have any unit that could reach that far. In Decromancer we quickly realised this could be the case so we allowed cards to attack empty slots too which acts as a kind of tie breaker, but also helps to make the battles end quicker once it's clear somebody has won.

In terms of puzzle feel, we have that to some extent as each card has a way to counter it, but there is always more than one way to win each battle ofc. A lot of the 'puzzle' is finding the 'cheapest' way to defeat your enemies and that usually means combining your own cards to maximum effect, which we hope you're going to enjoy!

7. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I don't recall that ever being a problem, no. But then, all units had multiple abilities, and the main character (Atsuma) was always present, and may have started with a long-range attack.

8. Decromancer

Hi,
    We're working hard on polishing the game before it enters beta on Monday.
    Have you already signed up for the testing? If you haven't, click on the following link: Decromancer: beta-testing.
    We would be happy to have you on board!

In the meantime, check out some new concept art and screenshots from the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let us know what you think!

For more information follow us on Twitter, or visit us here Decromancer blog
    Cheers!

9. #9 Diplomat_in_training, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Decromancer is heading to the stores!

Hi,

Beta testing has come to an end and Decromancer is heading to the stores with a lot of new content and many cool improvements. None of this would have been possible without our amazing beta-testers - thanks a lot guys!

The game will be available for free on App Store and Google Play.
    Date of release: November 6, 2013 (Wednesday).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FOR MORE INFORMATION FOLLOW US ON:
    TWITTER and TUMBLR

Youtube Decromancer: Decromancer - The Battle Card RPG for iOS/Android - Official Trailer

10. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    There is timers in game right?

11. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    The game is out, having fun in the early levels. Timers is used for traveling but it's manageable for now.

12. Thanks for your comment. Glad to hear you're having fun. Good luck on the battlefield!

13. #13 Diplomat_in_training, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013