Free/Lite/Demo to Paid ratio

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by worldalpha, Jul 26, 2012.

1. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    So, I released my game on Monday and so I have 3 whole day of stats. I have a free demo version of the game. After 3 days I have had over 7,000 free downloads, and 125 paid at $1.99. Is that the kind of ratio of paid to free that I should expect? Just curious what kind of ratios other developers have had.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Are all of those 125 sales directly attributed to the free version or are the 125 paid a mix of those discovering the paid app organically and upgrades from the free version?

1.7% is a tiny bit low. If all 125 sales can be attributed to demo upgrades then some minor tweeking might be in order.

If not, you're not pushing the full version enough in the demo, or the demo's gameplay is too long/short/uncompelling/unengaging/X.

3. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    A few more days of stats and it looks like it is less than 1% conversion. Ugh. Any other insights?

4. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Mini review, this is why it's not selling according to me. (Tested on iPad 2)

1. UI, almost no visual feedback, lag on button presses, pressed the buttons several times cause I thought I didn't press it properly. (No visual feedback)

2. Sound, almost none existent, very sparse, feels like I'm playing an alpha game.

3. Gameplay, everything moves way to slowly, doesn't feel like I have control over the gun. The animation when going into scope mode, looks terrible (Mega Slow). Very shallow gamplay.

4. Ads, seriously, you are trying to sell me your game, and you have an ad to become a beta tester in your other game? Also your flash demo, leads to a Runescape ad before I can play your game, hmm... didn't you try to sell me YOUR game?

5. Graphics. The one good thing about your game is the art style, really nice.

In the end, as a costumer it feels like a cash grab, with almost no gameplay included. Sorry for being harsh, but I think your sales reflect some of my sentiments.

Ps. Tried it for around 5 minutes, lost interest after 2. Ds.

5. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I have heard similar suggestions from others. We plan to work on these and have a new version shortly.