Isometric RPG game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by originalcopy, May 21, 2010.

1. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I'm working on my next game for the AppStore, and I would like your feedback here if you would be so kind to provide it. Would you be interested enough to buy an isometric RPG game, in the style of games like Diablo and Fallout 1&2? Just wondering if this type of game would be of the liking of iphone/ipad gamers. No big flashy gfx, but the combat would be real-time, I'm not too certain turn-based combat would fare well. It would include dialog, inventory items, quests, and of course mini-games involving the typical lock-picking and bartering, and such. I'm also considering releasing a lite version for it too. I dont know if it would be good for this type of game or not.

Anyways, all comments welcomed.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Not a big fan of real time combat. much prefer Final Fantasy Tactics like approach, eg. Rebirth of Fortune but with a bit more flesh.

A bit too many action RPG / real time games on the Appstore now..

3. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Hmm, ok, so you would say turn-based combat would be more appropiate right now for the AppStore?

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Turn Based would probably be easier to implement, and go over well with the critics. I personally prefer Real-Time combat, but if you're going to need to figure out a way to make it more engaging than just button mashing. If you could find a way to make it strategic or interesting, I could see it working very well

5. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Yeah, in light of all the J/KRPG's coming out, it would be nice to see something new. I kinda recall that guy who made RPG Snake was also thinking about doing the same thing. His is an isometric doodle style one... so quite interesting to see what happens there. I'd say move away from JRPG styles and either do something classic or something new. Maybe you can do a doodle RPG. A solid one.

I'd go with a doodle "cut-out" art style of Inkvaders or 2012 Elements, but do it in iso view. Playing RPG Snake proves that is doable. Maybe make the world/town exploration in real time, then the combat system will be turn-based. The words "doodle" + "RPG" will surely ring a bell to a wide market. I have yet to see a serious attempt. Your artist has to be good or at least familiar with this art style, however, and the whole RPG system perhaps can be based on classics like HeroQuest.

6. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I think it would be great to see more real time rpg games for the iPad. Not as big on turn based.

-Greg

7. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Whatever you decide on, it's gotta be either on par with or cheaper than "Chaos Rings", "Ravensword", and the upcoming "Aralon". The app store already has some real-time combat RPGs, like "Ravensword", "Necromancer Rising", and "Across Age". If you decide on a turn-based RPG, it'd better be $6 or less, because unless the graphical style is somehow unique, nobody is going to choose it over "Chaos Rings" or "Final Fantasy".

8. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I prefer RT combat too, i find turn-based too slow. Well, the strategic element would be other strategies like "hacking" mini-games and such, besides straight up combat. Hehehe, maybe include both RT and turn-based combat ? :D

9. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Just to get a better understanding, what is a K-RPG? I know J-RPG means japanese styled RPGs like Final Fantasy,but what's krpg?

Hmm, those games look like 2d sidescrollers. Are they like that? Why the doodle style so popular? I wasnt thinking about having doodle styled gfx work. Doodle means hand-drawn like gfx, right?

10. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    That's one of the reasons i was going for realtime combat. The ipad seems to be lacking in action games that aren't called N.O.V.A. Turn-based seems to me more appropiate for the iphone. Anyone think so?

11. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ok, I know that I'll be going up against some big titles both already out and upcoming ones. I'll have to try them out first. I'm going for less than $6, maybe $3-4. Which brings me to another question, thank you for mentioning this to me. How much does everyone think would be a good price for it? Another thing that I think this game has going for itself, is that it's a remake of a classic arcade game. Well, not completely a remake, but it has elements from the original game's background and lore.

12. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    #12 smirnoffsky, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
    KRPG means Korean RPG, basically a JRPG, but made more popular in MMORPGS.

The art style of Inkvaders are like hand-drawn cut-outs, which I think will look cool if done in an isometric fashion, similar to what RPG Snake did. This style kinda breaks away from the usual art style of western RPGs. It would be great if you could consider trying something fresh and unique, compared to some of the current big names like those mentioned earlier. Like I said, "doodle" + "RPG" will probably ring a loud bell... you get the attention of the doodle crowd, which consists more of casual gamers, as well as hardcore RPG gamers, because there's nothing like it out in the Appstore yet. This way you won't have to take on the bigger, more established names in the RPG genre.

13. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    From a Word game to an isometric RPG, that is quite the jump :D I wouldn't worry about any of the current RPGs as by the time you are done with your game (6-24 months from now) the market is going to be totally different and who knows what is going to be out there. Also RPGs are like a book, you can read/play it again but most people don't, they would rather buy a new experience.

14. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I really think it's better to go for the one YOU prefer. They're both equally marketable concepts with a big fan base. So, it boils down to the one you would rather be spending your time making. Coz, when you get down to the playtesting, polishing and tweaking ... the one you can make best is the one you like yourself better. Just my thoughts on it anyway..

15. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I find amazing that an art-style that resembles simple hand-drawn rushed sketches can be a nice break from games with old boring, detailed art-style. :p I may be able to put something there. I have a big catalog of "doodle" like gfx that I may be able to modify to fit the game. Great contribution, thank you.

16. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Yeah I know, after Word Champion I want to go big. :) I'm not going to compete with Square Enix though. :p Im hoping it wont take me 24 months to finish this game. :eek: Yes, RPGs are like a book, and my game will allow people to play it differently, I hope that it will make people keep trying to play the game several times after finishing it.

17. Fletch11

Fletch11 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I know I would be interested expecially if it's loot based. Not enough game in AppStore like that and would be an instant buy from me

18. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Yeah, and that's one of the reasons i wanted to go for this game after Word Champion. I really want to work on a game I would enjoy playing myself. Not that I didnt enjoy working on and playing Word Champion, it's great fun, but I want to work on something better. :)

19. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Oh yeah, you'll be able to loot enemies and others. Some loot you will be able to trade in for other goods, currency, some will be pretty much worthless. Think diablo and such. What I dont know if it will be included, since it's kinda difficult to implement, is being able to pickpocket.

20. Pickpocket could be done by... depending on the game... trying to pull something out of a pocket while avoiding moving things (Such as, if the person changes direction as they walk, you would have to move your finger in that direction to avoid alerting the person.)

I've always wanted to work on game design myself ^.^