Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Nitzan, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
  2. Oh man! I was just talking about making a "Star Control like game" in a meeting yesterday! The first one though but still! I used to spend hours on that game losing badly to my older brothers. Like, seriously, one of my brothers could defeat my entire Ur-Quan armada with just that ship which changed between two modes.

3. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I remember I once totally beat a friend of mine using only the ship from the whimpy race... what was it called... (googling...) The Spathi!

[​IMG]

Man that ship was surprisingly good.

Creating a port with multiplayer would be ridiculously awesome.

4. Whoa. That screenshot brought back a whole heap of awesome memories! I remember writing a story in school that had the raccoon people in it. :D

5. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Looks like it was partially ported, but never completed

Posts from here and here last year make it sound like a group was well on their way to porting it to iOS devices, but apparently never finished it.

Maybe someone could pick up that project from them and run with it.. :D

6. Looks like there's been no progress on it in almost a year. I'm going to hold an emergency meeting of 5th World and see what people think. Someone needs to introduce the awesomeness of Star Control to a whole new generation!

7. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    It is interesting that both posts are a year old and both claim the game is ready for submission, yet nothing has been approved.

Maybe Apple banned it fearing copyright issues?

Or maybe it is trickier to get it running on an iOS device than originally thought?

8. So I did a bit of investigating during my downtime today and from what I could figure, Atari hold the rights to Star Control, the head of Stardock desperately wants to remake it, Toys for Bob tried to pitch a new one to Activision a few years back and then there's that source code kicking around and the whole Ur-Quan project. So I'd suspect the property is a bit of a legal quagmire at the moment. Pity, I'd love to do something with that game. Looks like for now I'm just stuck with my memories. And my DOS emulator :)

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Atari holds the rights to the name "Star Control" and probably "StarCon", but the rights of the game, the characters, the world and assets are back with the original creators as far as I understand.

That's why "Ur-Quan Masters" is available as open source and it doesn't use the original name in full.

10. This is actually turning out to be really fascinating. I wonder what people would have a stronger association with: the brand name or the game itself?

Slightly off topic, I have to admit the game I would most kill for the chance to remake is the original X-Com (or UFO: Enemy Unknown as it was known over here). I'm just a little disappointed the rights for that have all been bought up and they're releasing it as an FPS.

11. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Bump. We still need this port :)

12. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    There's 2 version of X-Com being released I believe. Firaxis is working on the traditional turn based game. And it is dubbed X-Com Enemy Unknown.

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

DP

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ur-Quan Masters has been ported to Android... too bad the public domain on Star Control II has not been spearheaded to iOS (yet).