too many games, how best to organize?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by phillyman, Dec 26, 2011.

1. phillyman

phillyman New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Hi,

I have LOTS of apps. Yes, I have already had all my screens filled ;-) ! I know I can make folders. What I would like to do, is delete all applications and then add apps piecemeal through iTunes. I can then make smarter folders and try to add the applications by category (puzzle, action, favorites, old school, utilities, work, etc.). This also allows me to clean out older applications or applications that now have become obsolete...

Here the issue, a fair number of applications has data in them. I have a fair amount of games that I play for awhile, get stumped, play something else and then would like to return. Or where content, new levels are added a couple months down the road. I'm pretty sure that if I delete an app and then add it again it will be a "clean" version and my data will be gone.

Anyway around this? I'd rather like to avoid having to shuffle the applications around different screens even in iTunes, plus I would maybe like to take a game off my iPad until new content is available through updates.

Soooo how do you deal with this? Any good solutions. ideas on how to manage an already loaded iPad, clean it out and start from scratch with the data intact?

I'm sure I'm not the only gamer/heavy app user that has this quandry and was looking for suggestions.... The only one I can come up with is make folders and sort through tons of screens to add them that way... BUT I REALLY hope that there is a better way... Can one select apps where the data is kept intact, when removed from the idevice but the "itunes version" keeps everything neat?

Thanks,

Philly

PS: @Apple PLEASE address your application management! It seems very cumbersome at the moment :-( And yes, I have sent them a note through their feedback page.

2. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Just do it manually, I just have each page dedicated to a genre and then I group app/games in a folder on the page.

On my first page I have half stuff thats already there(app
    Store, setting, photos, utilities etc.... The bottom half is games I'm playing the most or my favorites. 2nd page is a bunch of popular games like angry birds etc. Then I have a page for non game stuff which includes like magic piano, tune in radio, gps drive. Then I have apage for hardcore games or games that have good graphics then a page for racing/shoot em up/ then a page with puZle games/ RPGs etc... My last page is just a bunch of random stuff that I haven't put anywhere I also started making folders for games under the developer ir publishers name like a clickgamer folder.

This Is just an example of what I do I use to just have a bunch of random stuff everywhere then I just decided to start grouping... Hope this helps

3. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Everyone universally agrees that iTunes's app management sucks. You just try and do the best with what you have got. With all the sales and freebies, I have tons of games that I have never even started once. So it's not even possible to prioritize them. Anyways, here's what I do.

All the games that I am currently playing are in a folder on the "system tray" (the bottom fixed area). Games that I finish, and do not care about future updates I delete, especially if the file size is huge. Games that I finish, and want to keep either due to replayability, to show off, or simply because I liked the game so damn much, I categorize and keep in folders. Rest of the games that I still have to play, i put them in folders called "Unplayed 1, 2, etc" Apparently having a lot of icons around occupies that much of your RAM, therefore reducing the icons on the device.

That above categorization is for my iPod. On my iPad, I keep very few games as it is. In fact very few casual games find a home on my iPad. The only games there are the ones that I specifically want to play on the larger device.

I probably need to start deleting apps from my iTunes library as well. The update load is ridiculous these days. Far too much clutter there.

Heaven knows we need a better management capability in iTunes.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I deleted all my Gameloft games about a week ago I never played them anyway it was a major space saver on both my pc and iPod plus I know keeping them well end up with Gameloft annoying me with ad/IAP updates.

Also cleared a load of ebooks now I've bought a proper ereader but that was just minor space really.

First time in ages I've had a load of spare GB's I'll probably fill those with apps/games from other developers.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    This is the number one reason I jailbreak. It gives you much more control over your "desktop" environment and app management. Consider jailbreaking if you're not adversed to it. Categories is a good Cydia app for organization. Basically I use a smart folder system.

Also, you can delete apps and download then later for free. I did not realize that at first.

I think a lot of people hoard aops and sometimes you've just got to delete data from games when there is too much backlog.

6. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I use a similar system as Spidey does. I have 2 folders called "New Stuff" where any new games that I'm unsure about or have just downloaded go first. Once I play them and find that that they are keepers, I move them into a respective category folder - Racing, Console, Arcade, sports, etc.

I have 3 folders that are named "Favorites" where I put apps that will stay on my device permanently. These are games that I would never want to delete and come back to over and over again over time. This way, I know exactly where they are.

Unfortunately, it's going to come down to what works best for you. It's not the apps that are a problem, it's the darn save data which keeps me from just deleting half of my stuff. I'm hoping with iCloud integration, this will eventually not be an issue, but for now, some games will never leave because I put way too much time into them.

7. phillyman

phillyman New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    #7 phillyman, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    guess I'll bite the bullet...

Hi,

Thanks for the tips and ideas... Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend an hour or two in iTunes hell! Shouldn't have waited until I completely lost the overview.... I like the idea of having a folder in the dock. I also didn't realize the ram issue even though it makes sense since the desktop has the same affect on a mac with lots of icons...

We can only hope Apple figures out a more elegant solution. I was disappointed when iTunes 10.5 and even 10 didn't improve app management or in general data management. I have no clue how to solve the issues but splitting iTunes into several applications seems like the solution and especially in applications we should have the option of conserving the data if deleting it on our iDevices!

Ah well, will probably wait until the New Year to dive into iTunes hell.

I should have been more clear.... Microbite has the same issue. I can delete the apps and redownload them, it's the DATA ! For example, finished angry birds and am almost done with bike baron, both took a LOT of time (yes, not the fastest gamer) I would like to delete them but still be at the same level so I don't have to replay levels just to play added packs. Again these are probably smaller installs so I'll check the size of some of my larger games and delete those first. BUUUTTT I still have to sort stuff. It's really bad if you download interesting stuff but never look at it because you forget you had it and only use "spotlight" to launch since you don't feel like going through page after page after page...

Again thanks and best wishes for 2012,

Philly

8. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I have all mine in folders which are by genre and a to z, for example (action A - M) and I have a folder on my front screen for games im playing and for the little ones toddler games, it seems to work well, and only 2 pages are used

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    too many games? nah! it's impossible to have too much of a good thing :)

but seriously just delete the games you don't play. i know that it is difficult because we are all game hoarders, but it's accomplish-able.

10. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I just bought an iPhone 4S 64GB because I have so many apps/games! I group them in type and genre folders. I have Utilities, Utilities 2, 3 Arcade folders, Adventure games folder, Role playing, Board & puzzle games, Time Management, Photography, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Productivity, Books, Writing Apps etc. I have to organize or it would drive me crazy trying to access a particular one from all the screens of apps.

I did delete some stuff I simply don't use or never will use but for now, I'm fine on space for sure.

11. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I have pages by genre, then after that I have about 4/5 pages of folders of games divided by genre. Stuff like a folder for asynchronous games, or a folder for large RPGs. :D
    Problem is too many games- you never play any :D