Dizzy Knight - Pixel art monster slayin' action coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kathode, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    #1 kathode, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    UPDATE: Beta available now on Android!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.dizzyknight

New trailer!

Hi TouchArcade folks,

I'm excited to show you guys a game I've been working on for a while, called Dizzy Knight!

[​IMG]

Dizzy Knight is a fast action fantasy monster-slaying romp. It's got a ton of monsters to fight across four distinct environments, as well as multiple weapons, player abilities, power-up items, objects to smash, traps to avoid, and huge boss monsters! I've got support for virtual dpad, tilt, and iOS controllers.

The gameplay of DK has similarities to Slayin', where the goal is to hit enemies with your weapon and keep enemies from hitting your body. Your character spins like a top with their weapon extended, and you've got to maneuver close enough to hit enemies without touching them. Here's a gif of one of the early levels with the Knight plowing through some slimes.

[​IMG]

DK supports virtual dpad, tilt, and iOS controller. The gameplay gets switched up with items and player abilities. You can select an ability up front like firing a magic bolt or dropping a bomb behind you, and you can get power-up potions like a reach-extending potion or a potion to make you spin faster. Here's that one in action:

[​IMG]

Dizzy Knight is currently 40+ levels and HARD. I really go for the throat and try to kill you in the later levels.

The game was designed and programmed by me primarily. I've been in the game industry for nearly 15 years now. I worked at Bethesda as a producer on Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, and shipped Halo 4 at Microsoft (343 Industries). The project artist is Giuseppe Longo, an awesome guy who worked at Nitrome for a while (misbug.com). And music and sound are provided by the excellent Matt Creamer who also did the same for Slayin' as well as other projects (mattcreameraudio.com).

Here are some shots. I'm working hard to wrap this game up and get it out there soon.

Action shot of some slimes and the shop NPC:
    [​IMG]

Getting smashed by a boss:
    [​IMG]

Female knight on the Spiral Throne level, fighting high-level slimes and a magician (they fire exploding projectiles and teleport around the map):
    [​IMG]

Lastly here's the trailer. The score presentation got an upgrade as you can see in the gifs above, but other than that, this should give you a great idea of the game overall! If you are interested in helping me out with a small beta test, email [email protected]. (Note it's .co and not .com!). Thanks!

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Surprised there's no comments, this looks like the kind of game the TA community usually goes bananas for :)

3. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Looks freakin awesome

4. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Premium or f2p?

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #5 LordShad0wz, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Wow. Can I preorder? Just wow. I don't know what else to say. Wow. Email sent. I really can't wait for this game.

Billy

6. smiffee666

smiffee666 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 29, 2012
    UK
    Looks cool, when's this out?

7. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    This looks ridiculously sick! I can't wait to sink my thumbs into Dizzy Knight.

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#8 Anotherkellydown, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Yup. Just read Carter's article and was directed here. I'm extremely excited about Dizzy Knight! Looks so crazy good. And the experienced team behind it? Just wow!

First thought when I saw the spinning knight was Links charged up sword attack from ALTTP =)

9. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi Repulsa,

Dizzy Knight will be a free game, supported by ads. Still sorting the details a bit! There are a couple items to buy, mainly extra currency for the store and a premium unlock. I'm going back and forth on what the premium unlock contains but I'm trying to load it up with value. It will at least get rid of all mandatory ads if I go that route, unlock three extra abilities to start with, and a level select screen so you can start further into the experience if you want.

Abilities are things like a "magic missile" style projectile attack, and a teleport that creates an explosion where you land. You can actually see the "dash" ability in the trailer. All these abilities are available even if you don't have the premium unlock. There's a store NPC who shows up from time to time (like Slayin') and he randomly has abilities for sale. The premium unlock just allows you to start the game with those abilities. Other stuff available in the in-game store are things like weapons (each has a special function), potions like the spin potion, and some other cool stuff!

Hope that helps clear things up!

10. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi rezn,
    The game is feature complete. I'm fixing up a few bugs I know about and hoping to get this out to testers to make sure it works on all intended devices. I only have a couple phones and ipads to test on myself. I would like to have it out soon, but I'm weighing just putting it out there or getting help from a publisher to push it a bit. I'm only one guy and the actual marketing of an app is a little beyond me! I was really surprised when I saw it on TA today. Long story short, I hope to know more by the end of the month!

11. norpai

norpai Active Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Looks great!!

12. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    I want my Dizzy Knight!!! ###

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    A little bit of Slayin, a little bit of Bardbarian from what i see... A ton of fun this is going to be.

14. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    There was another game with the same game mechanic.
    You played a warrior too but it had more realistic graphics.
    Can't remember the name though.

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Chocolaty dipped wit sprinkles please###
    Thank You Kathode

Attached Files:

16. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Hey all, thanks for the kind words above, and the interest from those of you who emailed or PM'd about beta. About to start that up with a few people (FYI pixelgator - you are set to refuse PMs). If this first round goes well, I'll see about adding a few more in.

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready to spin!

[​IMG]

17. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

Is it too late for me to try? :(

18. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for your interest Puke! The current small group of testers is already uncovering some issues, including a showstopper in an early level :eek:. I'm working through those issues. Once I feel like I'm in a good place I may add in another round of people. Watch this space :D

19. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Tell me this game is still coming out

20. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    This game looks cool!