Lite version abilities

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lithiastudios, Jan 23, 2009.

1. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    From what I understand, Apple doesn't allow lite versions that include disabled features from the full version (eg. Grayed out menu items), nor are you allowed to list your full features inside the lite version.

So what do they allow? Can you have a 'buy full version" button? It would be nice to advertise what the full version features. :(

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I have a buy button on my Lite version's Info screen. I also popup a dialog box when they've completed the entire game, saying they can play hundreds of puzzles in the full version of the game, and a button leading them to the App Store entry.

3. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD

My 2 cents was do something like a shareware trial. I still don't understand why Apple doesn't like greyed-out features. Weird...

4. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Lite versions I have played so far (being a fairly new touch owner) they are the first segment of the game, then at the end it says something like "more in the full version" and on the main title screen there might be a link taking you to their app store page.

I suppose those things are ok, because it's basicly a scaled down game instead of being a demo with disabled features, just that the lite version is much shorter.

iShoot only has 6 weapons instead of 16+ or whatever but instead of being disabled aren't they just not there at all? so you would never know something is missing until you try the full version.

5. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    #5 Birdsoft, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Yeah, I have this feeling that my Lite version wasnt effective because of fear of rejection from things you "Cant" do for Poker Stacks...
    So I have slowly got them all in after 3 lite version updates, the last of which posted last night...

I only allow 2 levels(started out with 4 but I have a feeling until you get used to the game you wont hit the 4 boundary... I rarely go less than 10 levels now on it...so I wasnt a good judge of that)

In my options screen I just took out the game mode and difficulty settings and actually put a note there saying that they are available in full version. At the end of the 2 levels I show a screen saying that unlimited progressing levels and the other options are available. And the kicker that I figured out that they did allow by seeing it in Tanzen... was just adding a "buy now" button on my title screen and on that end of lite play popup...

It was ok'd.

Just dont gray out any buttons or do triggered trial alerts or time trial stuff...and try to be subtle.. A friend of mine's lite version got rejected the first time a couple weeks ago because he threw the whole book at it with old school demo making...

6. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You can have a link to your full version. The only thing you can't do is have "trick" features. Things the user attempts to use but are then told only work in the full game. I just recently added Cosmosis QE which stands for Qualifying Edition. This is my "lite" version of Cosmosis and basically it gives the user a full game but tells them that they are qualified to enter the "Official Cosmosis Challenge" if they can score 2,000 points or more. It also tells them that they can post their score with online leaderboards and change the game to suit their preferences through various shape and background options. Finally, scoring bonuses are also cited as a way for them to perfect their skills and strategically climb the leaderboards.

Therefore the QE just gives them a taste and lets players enhance their skills, hopefully getting hooked in the process. Then the official game lets them perfect their techniques by offering choices of how to play and increased rewards for actually getting better in a reflexive sense.