STILL No 3GS-Optimised games availble!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gregz0r, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

I know it wouldn't make economic sense for a developer, but I'm still surprised that I haven't come accross any games that take full advantage of the 3GS' CPU and RAM. :(

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, I'm guessing it's because the 3GS is a small part of a huge market. Most devs won't make a game for a small group when there's a bigger profit to be made by offering it to everyone they possibly can.

I do remember a company that was going to be 3GS specific, but I can't remember who it was... And it was a while back, so idk how it's going for them. Look it up on the TouchArcade pages.

3. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    i remember in a ta podcast they talked about this... also a few apps have more fx enabled on 3gs like more shadows and better gfx... also remember a 3gs specific app with overlays on a map that was free but i never got to use it bc i have 3g

4. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    Forgotten Memories does, ;)
    We take full advantage of the 3GS platform. One single room in this game can easily top the 3GS limit. We have rooms that got more than 100K polys. By the way, Forgotten Memories is a PC port to 3GS. ;)
    Don't worry, 3G users will be able to play the game (less poly meshes, smaller textures sizes, etc). But the best version still the 3GS version.
    Cheers,
    :D

5. Gregz0r

Cool! Look forward to checking it out! :D

6. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Creepy game o_o... Very nice taking the advantage of the 3GS tat :D

7. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    My company Rocking Pocket Games now has 3 games that use 3GS shaders, with more on the way.

Blue Skies 3GS (normal mapped terrain and water)
    Dark Raider S (normal mapped sprites and backgrounds)
    Super Football Kick 3D (per pixel self shadowing using real shadow mapping)

Our new 3D engine is called the Rocking Pocket Engine and is based on the Power Render engine that was developed on the PC for 15 years.

Super Football Kick is our first 3D game to use 3GS features, and as far as I know the first to use real shadow mapping found on PC video cards. We have more games in development that use this new 3D engine.

8. Gregz0r

Good stuff!
    Surely the devs with more resources at their disposal(EA, Gameloft, Firemint, ect), could update exsiting apps, that detect wether the user is running it on a 3GS or 3rd-gen touch, and run the improvements (which could remain locked, if it deteced the older hardware)?

Seeing a demo of Firemint's Real Racing, running with 40 cars a while back, is pure teasing! :D

9. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Parcel Panic: Post Car Racer 3D recognizes whether you have a 3GS or not, then if you do, it optimizes it's graphics to be more... detailed and 'enhanced'.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Dark Raider S was another optimized game, I remember.

11. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I really don't mind if this "advantage" will take a while.

I am still using a iPhone 2G and my only reason to switch to a 3GS would be games - good games of course ;) - which only runs on a 3GS.