[20 PROMO CODES] Streaq

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by drewns, Oct 18, 2013.

1. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Too late, all code are gone

2. TDA

TDA Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I played a few rounds of this and I like it. It seems to be exactly like the board game "Sequence", which is not a bad thing. Great game I've played a few times with family.

I like that when you select a card, it highlights where those cards are on the board. This was my biggest gripe with the physical board game. Turns would take way too long with everyone hunting for the right card.

Thanks again for the promo code! And for anyone interested in the board game, it's here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2375/sequence

3. drewns

drewns Member

@TDA Thanks very much for downloading! Glad you like it! The cards highlighting on the board can make for pretty quick games, and I've gotten good feedback from others about that as well. I'm curious if you found the gameplay speed setting (by tapping the 'gear' icon when you're playing a game). I'm hoping people don't miss that option, as by default it's set to 'normal' speed (for beginners), but I prefer 'fast' speed which can make for some REALLY fast games!

I'm planning to add some achievements so there are goals to shoot for. Multiplayer is also on the roadmap, but that's a little trickier since Streaq is available for both iOS phones & tablets as well as Android phones & tablets (including Kindle Fire and Nook). I'd really like the multiplayer to be cross-platform, and I haven't yet determined what the best option will be.

4. drewns

drewns Member

@_Max_ Sorry about that! Pocket Avenger looks sweet, btw. Can't wait to try it!

5. elswitzer

elswitzer Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Great 'Sequence' port, extremely fun game and polished app. Just needs multiplayer at this point to make it complete.

6. DemoEvolved

DemoEvolved Member

May 19, 2013
    Video game designer
    Toronto
    Not a fan of the pencil trace UI, anyhoo... Game play options to improve play are extremely limited. Play field looks good, this is the high point of the presentation. Getting to the gameplay you have a promising head to head bingo game with the limitation of only being able to claim slots you have cards for. This falls flat. Player agency is close to non existent, game has too much luck. On net it feels more like a scratch ticket than a game. At the min, there should be an option to reduce suits: 3,2, even 1. This gives more player choice per card in hand. I would strongly consider offering an option to have less card ranks as well. 5-K might be better. I would also consider a means for the player to trash any number of cards in his hand so he has a way to get multiple new play choices per turn. To counteract that amount of player agency, maybe you add a mechanic where you can play a second card on your turn, but in a neutral color used only for BLOCKING. So I'm giving this app a 2star only for its potential. Dev, it's up to you.

7. drewns

drewns Member

@elswitzer Thank you very much! Multiplayer is definitely on the roadmap!

8. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Didn't get a code, but picked up the game based on the Devs passion on the boards here.

I like the game and played a few quick rounds. It is a really fun pick up and play game and would benefit from having an online multiplayer, but I'm quite happy with the AI opponent for now.

One suggestion I'd make is that the rules need a little more work. I was unfamiliar with the board game this was based on so I didn't know what to do the first game. Yes, it's obvious once you play a game, but looking at the board and the cards you're given to start with is a little confusing. I first thought that my job was to move/slide cards around to try and get five of the same card number in a row. I know that sounds silly if you know the game, but all the rules said were to make five in a row.

Add a little more that gives an example. After you play a "reverse" card you know that it changes a card from being controlled by your opponent to now being uncontrolled at all. But I wasn't sure what it did until I played it.

I still don't understand what a "dead card" is. I haven't had that one come up yet. Not sure why you'd be given a card on a draw that can't be used. But maybe that will come up at some time and then I'll know.

As I said, it all seems silly after you've played the game and it becomes obvious, but my first game was basically just pecking around until I figured it out. Not a big deal, but it's always nice to help first time players out a bit.

I'd also break out the wins and loses from the "achievements". Especially since you don't have any achievements at the moment.

But my overall statement is that this is a great game and a very worthy pick up for the price. You can play through a game quick enough that it's a fun way to pass the time when you need a diversion. The look is clean and the available cards popping up allows you to plan your strategy.

If you like this type of game I'd say it's an easy 4 out of five stars (possibly higher). But don't rely on the rules to help you out. Thankfully you won't need them after your first game.

9. drewns

drewns Member

@QuickWit Thank you very much for picking up Streaq! I'm glad you like it! I've had feedback from others about the instructions as well, and I agree with you completely. I was planning to update the instructions with a future (more substantial) release, but I'm thinking now I may release an update with more detailed instructions in the interim.

Regarding "dead cards": After making a play, it's possible to draw a card that is a "dead card" because of Wild cards. For example, one queen of spades could be owned on the board by a player who played a queen of spades, and the other could be owned on the board by a player who played a Wild card. After that, a player could still draw a queen of hearts from the draw deck. The player would not be able to play the card (without first reversing one of the already owned queens), so it's considered a "dead card". If you own a dead card at the start of your turn, you may exchange it for a different card. You do this by tapping on the dead card in your hand. You will then be presented with a popup telling you that the card is dead and asking if you would like to exchange it for a new one (note that you have the option to NOT exchange the card in case you would like to hang on to it and play it after a reverse at some point). You can only exchange one dead card per turn. One additional way for dead cards to be drawn is if the board is very full of owned tiles and the discard deck runs out and gets reshuffled. In that case players will be drawing dead cards left and right. This doesn't come up often, but is more common with 3 player games (especially in "hard" mode or with 3 player + 2 Streaqs needed games). I personally prefer to play with only 1 Streaq needed in 3 player games (in fact, that's one of my favorite game modes).

Regarding the win/loss record and achievements: That's not a bad idea. I may end up doing that. I'm planning to add a winning percentage statistic as well, and I'm currently planning on some of the achievements being based on the player's winning percentage (eg. maintain a winning percentage of greater than 50% for XX number of games).

I appreciate your feedback and review very much! Thank you for taking the time to write it, and thank you for playing! :)

10. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Yeah... after a few games I got the "Dead Card" pop-up, and had figured out how it could happen before that.

But glad to hear that you're working on new instructions.

I did have an idea for the game that might work... I'd love to see a "Block" Card. Just something that you can place that doesn't "reverse" a card, but blocks that space completely. It could either be a card that you can draw, or maybe a move that everyone gets to use once in a match. Knowing when to play your "Block" could be a real good strategy for the game.

Just a thought.

11. drewns

drewns Member

#31 drewns, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    A "block" card is an interesting idea. One thing to note is that Streaqs are locked, which is kind of like 5 "block" tiles (from your opponent's perspective). You can employ some strategy when going for a Streaq to determine what board tiles end up being "blocked". A little different than your idea, but similar.