TimeTours: Chichen Itza - travel back in time to the golden age of the Maya

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kukulcan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

I have Promo-Codes to give away for an honest review.

2. bunglez

bunglez Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    This sounds like a neat concept. I'm giving it a road-test now, and will report back with my findings.

3. bunglez

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    I did a little review on the uk app store. 4 stars.

Time Tours Chichen Itza is a wonderfully crafted tour of one of the most important archaeologial sites in the world. It will immerse you in the history, art, culture and sound of the ancient Mayans. The site is mapped out beautifully with the points of interest marked and clickable for a lot of extra information.
    There are 3D animations, video clips, then and now comparisons and a whole host of other, varied multimedia which help bring the ancient culture to life.

The mix of media and information really help to immerse you in to the world. It's a grat way to learn and explore, and will hold your interest. Navigation is fast, and the graphics are sharp on my retina display screen. I really enjoyed exploring the wonderous creations of this great civilization.

The GPS, 3D Stereoscopic imaging and AR overlays make this cutting-edge in terms of technology. The potential for this kind of thing in education is great, and with the promised updates, I think we'll see this evolve nicely.

The treasure hunting section of the app adds another dimension, and could be a real strong point. It does need clearer instructions and a bit more development though in my opinion. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing at first, and guidance seemed minimal. With a bit of trial and error later, I got the hang of it, so i'll keep at it and see how that comes together.

Adding more specific goals which are perhaps tied to achievements could work really well here. After each location is complete, a quiz or puzzle related to the information you just viewed would add to the fun.

A very well made piece of software. Polished, easy to operate, and filled to the brim with facts and graphics. Great purchase if you have any interest in history, archaeology, anthropology or the Mayan world in general.

4. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    #4 kukulcan, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Thank you so much for the great review. You nailed the treasure hunt problems - we planned a GPS one from the start, but the hidden object game for those not on location was rather an afterthought - so yeah we need to improve on that. Achievement, quizzes...absolutely, we are even working on a barebones adventure engine.

But I wrote the concept for this one year ago and we put all our free time into the app for the last half year, so we had to get a version out. Getting the first app out with nearly no programming experience is quite hard and we cursed at Apple so many times. Now we know the Ins and Outs improving on the current status will really be a fun walk in the park ;)

5. bunglez

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    It's great that you got it out there. It really does have fantastic potential. If you can streamline the journey, and bring the whole thing together with some of the things mentioned, I think you'll grab some attention for sure.

Most of the pieces are in place, and if you can tie them all together smoothly, it will enhance the experience greatly.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. :)

6. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    It took some time, but now version 1.1 is out with new design, GameCenter and quite some new content. iPad version runs much more stable now.

Reviews for the new version are of course welcome.

We are little stingy with promo codes after we found out we cant buy gift codes for US store and Apple delivered 50 invalid codes for our last version. If you are willing to test and review please PM and we might paypal you $2 :)

7. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    We have a huge Maya calendar countdown with contest and giveways, right now a lifetime subscription for all our future apps (3 games planned as of now):

http://www.time-tours.com/daily/

Developer diary every friday, we will start this week with our first game "Via Pompeii", hope TA forum will like it.

8. stabard

stabard New Member

May 5, 2012
    Off to see the Chichen Itza will review when I get back

I was in Rome a few weeks ago and wished I had something like this. I will try this out in Chichen Itza and let you know how I get on with it!