Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #941 chris1a, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Yea no I agree with everything you said. But I thought we were only talking audio tracks and no midi stuff (like the virtual instruments, samplers, synths, effects etc in all these apps).

And yes the guys behind BM2 could have definitely made some better sounding stuff with all those MBs. Maybe they just sampled old Casio's. :p

2. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Gosh, these old Casios were good. speaking of casio, ever had a "rapid increment by 1, first one to thousand wins" contest using any of their calculators? :)

3. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    How would you comare nano studio xweton music studio and fl studio mobile?

4. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #944 chris1a, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Yes! Many times...many calculators. :p

FL Studio Mobile is basically the same as Music Studio (same developer), with a different set of samples available and a FL Studio skinned step based drum sequencer showed in there. I do think you can use your own samples in FL studio mobile tho, not sure. Nano does´nt do more accoustic stuff as well straight out-of-the-box since it´s Eden synth sampler part is´nt a multisampler. Personally i like Nanostudio alot better if i´m going with a "complete" mobile studio in my pocket, sequencer feels better suited for a mobilse, effects are better (and more of them) and just more possibilities. The up-side to the sampler in Nanostudio is that you can drop a nice little piano sound in there and mangled it trough Eden synth turning it into a dirty dubstep bass or whatever. :)

Edit: By the way there´s a completely free Windows/Mac full desktop version of Nanostudio available for download at www.blipinteractive.co.uk. It´s mostly so people can check it out before buying it for their mobiles. It is´nt exactly optimized for regular computers (higher sound latency and so on), but look at it as a demo or a companion to the mobile version.

5. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    well said.

also, nanostudio now supports note slicing, which is extremely useful for creating mixes with lengthy samples. nanostudio is just pure awesomeness.

6. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks, im going to get nano studio , but what would be the best app for making acustic and other types of music ? Don't say garage band because I don't think I can download that.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    A bit late for the sale, but I finally got around to playing with Beatsurfing and it was fun.

Reminds me a lot of my Yamaha TX-802's (I've got a pair set to handle even/odd MIDI notes) where you can set up nifty patterns amongst the 8 voices where they cycle like (1>2>3,4>5>6,7>8) meaning each note press gives you 147>258>367>148>257>368>... making for some great percussion and ambiance.

8. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #948 chris1a, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    Why not GarageBand. It's not any bigger then BM2 installed. Other then that Thumbjam is awesome for acoustic stuff, pretty small footprint with everything downloaded (it's all free inside the app) at aroun half a gig or something of you choose to download all the free instruments and drumloops. And it's a great multi sampler, I've made a bunch of orchestral instruments with it and it's all really fast and intuitive. Another one is Sampletank, 1 GB installed, alot of the sounds are unlocked via IAP, the (invicible) sequencer is quite limited. But you do get a wide range of sounds if you pony up the cash for the IAPs and alot of it sounds really good! Updates with better iOS integration (like audio copy paste) seems to be inbound too.

9. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    great suggestions. Thumbjam is awesome. here are some more:

Guitar: for guitar sounds, i found iShred to be the best software guitar for the iOS. if you don't have an actual real guitar, pick this one up.

8-bit/chip: definitely SunVox (and you can download the desktop version for free).

Drums: drums have lots of apps but DM1 is pretty solid.

Choir/Melodic vocals: Improvox is pretty sweet.

Sampling: there are huge amount of these, but i think Animoog is definitely a must.

10. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I don't think I can download garage band because you need the latest os I only have 4.3 and don't really want to update.

11. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Oh ok, it does work on 5.1 tho.

I got beatsurfing during the sale too. Haven't tried it yet tho, but just recently tried doing MIDI over wifi for the first time evah using Alchemy Mobile to control the desktop version. Why haven't I been arsed to try this wifi stuff before? It's way fun lol. Gonna try to wrap my head around the other stuff you wrote tomorrow when my head stops spinning.

Efrat: I'm sure you meant synthesizer when mentioning Animoog?

Another cool sampler besides Thumbjam is SampleWiz. No multi sampler but does all kinds of wizardry inside the app. And yes, you can disable the annoying wizard crap like startup sounds, animations of flying wizards etc that Jordan Rudess insist on having in his stuff.

12. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Sunvox looks confusing , Is it really complicated or will it be easy once I learn how to use it?

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    If you never seen/used a tracker interface before (like the good old Fasttracker or some Amiga tracker for example) it might be a bit confusing until you learn it obviously. And everything here is completely modular so you can´t just fire it up and start playing away without atleast connecting a few modules to the main output. Modules here are a few synths, some sampler, bunch of effects and so on that you connect to the main output "box" in anyway you want. Like a simple serial connection would be synth module/sound source --> effect ---> another effect --> main output. And have that newly made instument connected to any of the tracks you wanna input notes/parameters on. But even if it´s actually really easy once you learn it, it is going to be complicated on a 3,5 inch touchscreen. Try the desktop version and imagine cramin all that stuff on to a 3,5 inch screen, you´re probably going to get a aneurysm before getting any music done.

14. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i disagree with you here. i've spent a bit of time fiddling with sunvox on my iphone, and i have learned that i can be quite productive with it. the touch capabilities were put to good use by the developer and even on a small screen composing and mixing music is not a difficult task.

Other than that, yes, sunvox is extremely modular and takes some time to familiarize oneself with, but is very powerful and a lot of neat things can be accomplished by using it (one example is the random sound generator)

15. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I think I might try sunvox if it goes on sale.

16. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
  17. Joebob1717

Joebob1717 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    That's exciting :) I wonder what it will be priced at, hopefully not to much. I always hate to drop 15$ on an app

18. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i think it's going to be $15, and i'll be surprised if it'll be lower :(

still will buy it, though.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Anyone know if it will it be universal this time around?

I was very surprised at the double-dip considering that the app it's based on is universal...

20. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    This! I mean there's no reason whatsoever for a music app like this not be universal since there are not exactly loads of high and low resolution graphic assets etc (like in a game for example). I guess the reason would be more dollaros for Image Line and Xewton...