SEGA Games On sale

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by goiMot, Aug 26, 2010.

1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #1 goiMot, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    • Super Monkey Ball ($1.99 was $2.99)
    • Sonic the Hedgehog ($2.99 was $5.99)
    • Golden Axe ($.99 was $2.99)
    • Streets of Rage ($.99 was $2.99)
    • Shining Force ($.99 was $2.99)
    Super Monkey Ball ($2.99 was $5.99)
    • Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition for iPad ($3.99 was $7.99)
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ($2.99 was $5.99)
    • Ecco the Dolphin ($.99 was $2.99)

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Nice thanks!

3. Corbin

Corbin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    Is it safe to assume that the updates to add new minigames to Super Monkey Ball 2 aren't coming out?

4. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah I think the AppStore wants me broke today lol

5. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    what is the reason of this sale? there's so many sales recently... OMG

6. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    Release of their new game:phantasy Star II

7. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Definitely going to pick some of these up tonight! :cool:

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Believe it or not, it actually came out a while ago. I myself was surprised SEGA actually fulfilled their promise, albeit a few months late.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Should I get Golden Axe, Streets of Rage or Ecco the dolphin? Which of the three runs best on iPhone 3G? (I won't expect 30fps, just want to know which one has better performance)

I have fond memories of Genesis games and though I know all of them play like crap on iPhone, I just feel like having one or two on my iPhone for nostalgic purpose.

Space Harrier has a nice icon but it's a super fast-paced game like Sonic and I know I'd suffer too much playing it, so it's out. Shining Force is out as Phantasy Star II is the one I'm getting.

10. Corbin

Corbin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    Really? Guess I'll have to pick this up now :D

11. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    I just picked up four of the Genesis emulated games... I'm running an Ipod Touch G2 with IOS4.02, and so far I have some pretty mixed results...

Sonic The Hedgehog: Runs surprisingly well! The game is very playable on my G2. Music sounds great, and the framerate is decent. It does have a few minor hiccups from time to time, but nothing that spoils my enjoyment of the game though.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2: This one seems to run a little jerkier than Sonic 1 on my Ipod Touch G2. The game is still playable, but it doesn't run quite as smooth as Sonic 1 (it's definitely noticeable when Sonic is running at higher speeds) The emulation is just barely adequate, but not great. I'm sure it would run smoother on a newer model iDevice.

Streets of Rage: Ouch... the game suffers from a lot of slow down, and the music tends to go out of sync alot. Sure the game only cost me 99 cents... but still... definitely not recommended on a lower end iDevice

Shining Force: Great sound, runs smooth enough. Since this is an RPG, it doesn't really require any fast action or screen movement. so whatever frame rate issues there are, probably aren't noticeable to me at all. Great purchase at $0.99 and it is a fun old school strategy RPG too.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I only bought Streets of Rage and it's as choppy as I expected it to be.
    Is Sonic 1 really a lot smoother? Because I thought they're all the same (maybe same emulator but some games are more complex / require more buttons, etc?).

I don't know, but if Sonic 1 is much better I might pick it up.

Btw, does the cheats work in Sonic 1?

In streets of rage, the extra life cheat worked a few times for me, but most cheats don't because they require the second controller.

13. mister-k81

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Yes, the difference is like night and day between Sonic 1 and Streets of Rage. Sonic 1 is actually playable (even on my second generation Ipod Touch). Your millage may vary a bit on Sonic 2 (depending on what device you have), but even Sonic 2 is emulated better than Streets of Rage.

Ah... it's been a while since I played Sonic 1 on a real Sega Genesis, so I don't remember what cheat codes the game has... but I do know that the level select cheat is there :) (press: up, down, left, right then "A" on the dpad at the title menu, then select a new game).

The same cheat also works in Sonic 2. Though Sonic 2 is missing the 2 player split screen mode and it also lacks the options menu from the original game (there is no option to play as Sonic only or Tails only...)

14. dude22

dude22 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Ok someone please help me out real quick. Should I get ecco the dolphin, monster dash, or foosball by illusion labs? Someone help me out

15. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    #15 Photics, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    It bothers me that Sega keeps re-releasing the same old games. How many times do they expect me to buy Golden Axe?

Phantasy Star II was like $80 in the early 90's. I have it for PC and Gameboy Advance too. I think that's enough.

I don't know which one you should get. But when I played Ecco the Dolphin years after playing it the first time, it just wasn't as impressive to me... not even close. I though it was awful actually. It's the same with Sonic. I thought it was great, but then I played it on the Wii... AWFUL.

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    No way, Sonic is always great no matter how many times I've played it.

I've played it on all consoles I have, Wii being the latest, and it's just as fantastic as the first time!

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I have iPhone 3G, so it's even slower than your iTouch 2G, but I guess the performance is proportional? (I mean, if Sonic 1 is faster than SoR on your device, so will it on my device right?)

And you know, I didn't even know Sonic's cheat codes when I was a kid. I just knew it when playing streets of rage on my iPhone, I read some reviews that there are some codes that work and I wanted to know what the codes are. I never played with cheats on my Genesis, lol.

18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't remember prices was that high but more like 40$, but I hadn't any console only computers.

I bought Shining Force for the sale, after to have play it a bit I'm almost sure to have already play it, but probably only the beginning.

Those old games just emulated are a bit frustrating, on iPad they look so ugly, the pads and buttons are strangely big.

19. mister-k81

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hmm... well looking at the specs of the 3G compared to Ipod Touch G2, they seem to be similar hardware wise... but the 3G has a 620 MHz processor underclocked to 412 MHz, while the Ipod Touch G2 has a 620 MHz processor underclocked to 533 MHz.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make performance wise. But yes, if SoR runs like crap on your 3G then Sonic 1 should run quite a bit smoother. Though, if you are running iOS3 instead of iOS4, that might also affect performance too. I am using iOS4 here.