Cultre Barrier?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by magicboker, Mar 12, 2010.

1. magicboker

magicboker Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #1 magicboker, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    Does anyone feel the culture barrier for game taste?
    It seemed some games are popular in one country, but not well-accepted in the other country. What are your experience?

How do you think about this game -- Catch Man? Do you think will americans like that or not?
    Thanks for your opinion!

2. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I don't think that there are huge cultural differences in taste. Sometimes when a game seems to do better in one country than in another it's simply about the level of awareness/exposure that it has and that's not always easy to figure out when your marketing has been global. Ground Effect, for example has been popular in Italy due to being featured on a popular Italian gaming site. We can only really tell that by checking the source of YouTube views etc.

My advice, for what it's worth, is just to market your game the best you can and not think about cultural differences unless you think that the content might actually be offensive. In which case, you'd have to ask yourself some serious questions. :)

3. magicboker

magicboker Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    good points!

so it's media exposure barrier, rite?

4. flaming-mitten

flaming-mitten Well-Known Member

I don't think so, so much with games, from my experience.
    Maybe if you made some mental train simulator, it would be more popular in Japan? ;)

We deffo noticed a cultural barrier with a recent app we released though "Put a Donk on it".....we knew before-hand, but it's a very British thing, and hence most of our sales have been UK based.

5. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    well, looking at results of our puzzle game - Tiki Totems and I do see some culture differences, for example:

we have seen much, much better places in rankings in countries like France or Italy (we were number 1 and 2 free apps at some point) but at the same time the reception in UK and Japan was lukewarm (top 60 maybe)

6. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Developer
    Czech Republic
    This is an interesting topic. SteamPunk Hockey in comparison did very well in Japan (#1 games/free/family + fair amount of downloads.

7. magicboker

magicboker Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I noticed the culture diff bcoz Catch Man is rank 3rd (Game) in Taiwan app store, but out of 1000 in US app store. Its rank there is even higher than Doodle Jump (rank 21) .

This culture diff (diff taste) will cause different ways of competition --> localization