iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #2261 Catacomber, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    I wonder how PC version would play on Windows 7 with touch enabled. : )

Anyway our next expansion for iphone/ipod---Ratz, Tower in Your Pocket will start from Matras and you should develop a new character to play it. You will not have to play the Quest through again to play it but you might want to go to Ratz--go back to Quest and back to Ratz.

If you use a more-developed, high-power character you can play it for the story and for the joy of being a god/goddess. I always liked that. : )

The value of starting over with a new character is that game response time should be very good and you can play as a magic fighter and actually kill with magic. The higher levels somehow compromised this and game response time got a little slower. I know some people would say a lot slower. : )

2. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Would you like to try to test Ratz--if you have PC version? I have enough--but enough is never enough. : ) And then it will be easier for the iphone/ipod testers to pick up where pc testers leave off.

No pressure. : )

3. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Sure, I can do that.

btw.

The new 8.2 enables file sharing for your save games.

I can't find it? I have Itunes 9.2 IOS 4.0 Itouch 3rd gen. Windows PC. there is no Sharing ? and all versions are v8.2

this was the message

Greetings Quest Fans,

We are pleased to announce that with the new update (version 8.2), we have enabled File Sharing in The Quest / The Quest Gold / The Quest Lite (and all expansions)!

With this you can now freely copy your save files from/to the game using iTunes.

What you need:
    - version 8.2 of The Quest (or Gold or any expansion)
    - iOS 4 or an iPad (with iOS 3.2)
    - iTunes 9.1 (version 9.2 is the latest)

If all the requirements are satisfied, just plug in and select your device in iTunes, go to the Apps tab and then to the File Sharing section. If you select a Quest app on the left, you can now save ("Save to...") or restore ("Add...") your save files. The Quest save files are called "TheQuestSaveX.pdb", where X can be any number from 0 to 20. Number 0 is the autosave, the rest are the regular saves. (Please ignore all other files. They are used by Playhaven or Crystal.)

Regards,
    The Redshift Team

4. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    That's great, I've lost save data twice, and I'll be glad not to deal with that again.

5. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    #2265 pka4916, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Had to wait till the Quest 8.2
    Now there is a sharing at the bottom.

This is cool.. THANK YOU CATACOMBER / RED SHIFT :)

Wish they could do that with other games... but this was the most important one.
    It's been on my Itouch ever since it came out.

6. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    #2266 Elendil / Redshift, Jul 7, 2010
    Glad you found it. :)

And although Catacomber has many things to thank her for, she has nothing to do with this, she is not part of Redshift. (And it's REDSHIFT. No space.) ;)

7. Lucion

Lucion Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Thank you so much for the ability to transfer saves! I had different games going on between my iPhone and iPad and really wanted just one game going on at once (so much to do and can't remember which is which). This should make things much easier!

Can't say enough about the support this game continues to receive.

8. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Oops... sorry...

Ooohhhh Catacomber is a woman? guess I didn't realize that :eek:

9. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin

I agree. This game keeps coming with expansions, and never get enough of them.. It doesn't get boring etc.

Although In 1 of the Expansions. I just got killed on and on.. and not understanding the Enchanting thing.. I got some instructions from the previous pages, and that didn't work for me...

So started all over, and playing as a different character. and making sure
    that my Env. Magic is getting high.. seems like that is the issue.
    (hoping at least..... and hopefully, I won't get stuck with quests that I can't get rid of my screen anymore, due to broken/failed/npc not there anymore)

Have a lot to catch up, and from reading, there are 2 other ones coming up soon..

10. SstakK

SstakK Active Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #2270 SstakK, Jul 7, 2010
    Is it possible to have some graphically improving updates? Like:

1: MSAA support
    2: maybe the use of some shaders and shadows on buildings/trees/enemies/citizens
    3: as i noticed, the weapons and gloves don't look like the ones you have in you backpack while wielded ingame. So is there a way to make the exact models of the weapons/gloves in your backpack look the same ingame?
    4: maybe a longer draw distance?
    5: maybe some more slash animations? And a bit faster combat with shields wothout speeding up the game

this game already looks really good, the textures are nice and effects are good. I hope that these enhancements are possible. Because if they are, this game will be even more awesome :D

11. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Apart from fixes for serious bugs, we are not planning any changes to the game, sorry. :p

As for your specific ideas, the main reason they will not be implemented is because the game is completely software rendered. Also the items/monsters/etc. are hand-drawn, for example, so it's meaningless to talk about "models". ;) It was originally designed for Palm/PocketPC devices in 2005. It would need a complete rewrite. Which we decided against when we ported it to the iPhone and we have even more reasons to not do it now.

For the same reason, it will not be ported to the iPad, however much we (and the players :)) would like that. It's just too much work, really.

And the underlying reason, why it's "too much work", is because I'm the only programmer at Redshift. Alas, our new games won't just program themselves. :D

(Have you checked the miscellaneous options in game? If you set the animation speed to "Fast", that might help with number 5 at least.)

12. SstakK

SstakK Active Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Ok :) just asking anyway. Thanks for the reply. I fully understand it :)

13. BTM4444

BTM4444 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Freshman In College. Studying Public Administratio
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is there like a walkthrough guide for each expansion because I always get stuck on quests and don't know what to do. It would be great if the game showed u where to go for each quest or most quests at least. That's the only downside of this game.

14. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Here are the forums: http://www.playhaven.com/games/iphone/the-quest/fbUfTNezrY4wy6_deo5-sA/

There are lots of guides, forums (check the left side). You can also just ask questions. There are usually a few helpful people around. :)

You can also access these directly from the game, just touch the Playhaven button on the main menu (or the Playhaven icon on the game screen).

Or just ask your questions here. There are some people here who answer after a while. :)

As for directions in the game, what I've said above is still true. Only bugfixes, sorry. Also the game was designed this way. You are supposed to find and remember stuff. It's part of the gameplay. :p

15. revol

revol Member

May 22, 2010
    I lost my save game of the original Quest when I got my new iPhone 4. I don't mind, though, because I had beat the original game and just started the first expansion.

Now, I'd like to just start Hero of Lukomorye I. I assume I can just start playing the game from that app. But with the transfer of save files, can I then take the save from HoL I and move it on to parts II and III, and then on to the later expansions?

16. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    You can't exactly move saves between expansion apps. If you'd try to load a file saved in one expansion in another expansion, the game would just quit.

But if you enable all the expansions in The Quest, start a game in the HOLI app, then transfer your save into The Quest, it should work.

17. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    For the Zarista expansions, there are a number of guides for certain dungeons, especially Argimon's wonderful dungeons here:

http://www.catacomber.com

and I am in the process of doing a complete personal walkthrough for each of our Zarista expansions, starting with Hero of Lukomorye I.

With illustrations. : )

If there's anything in particular you'd like to see there please let me know.

18. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2278 Catacomber, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    I have a pretty good idea of what the usual things are that you would want to see in a walkthrough from answering all your questions for the past two-three years in all the various forums from 1src and pdarcade and through this forum and my forum. And of all the forums I've been to other than my own, I love this forum. It's always hopping!

It's the unusual things you might want information about that I'm asking you to let me know you have a need.

Nobody knows the Zarista expansions as I do as I put them in. Of course, I've never written anything down. It's all in my head but I think it's time to write down our (Zarista's) guide to our expansions. :D Just in case I get hit by a bicycle messenger in NYCity. : ) If you ever had to fight a real life monster in the streets--that's the one. : ) Maybe someday someone will make an iphone game -- Bicycle Messenger Massacre. : ) Not kidding.

19. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Is there any way to play just the expansions from the quest gold? I want to play ice & fire as a standalone expansion, but can't seem to find that in the settings

20. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    No, there is no way, sorry.

The expansions were never designed for standalone play. That's why they are "expansions".

Because there was no In App Purchase when we released the first expansion, we had to do it as a standalone app. Apple requires that all apps be functional, so we implemented standalone play, but this doesn't change how the expansions function in the main game.