Art consistency between gameplay and trailer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ultrapped, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ultrapped

ultrapped Active Member

Nov 5, 2011
  2. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    It's vital for trailers, game play videos and advertising. Your trailer is misleading. It gives false representation of your game. Either create new one or write "Not Actual Game Footage" at the bottom of the screen in a readable font size.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Instead of riddling board members here you would be so nice and tell us what exactly the complaints where about?

4. ultrapped

ultrapped Active Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Sorry for fiddling if it does.

Some said "I'm confused though as to why the bunny in the trailer is not that same as in the gameplay screenshots?" and "Hmm, actually, I think the trailer should be consistent with the game art. I thought the animations were done with your live rabbit for a while. Then I looked again. Consistency is good."

5. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    You made significant changes to your game since the trailer, so you should really make a new trailer. You could keep the old one around as an example of the game in the earlier stage, for those who are interested. But, as a trailer, you need something fairly close to your final game.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well if its the bunny then choose one and stick to it.. probably the cartoon one since the real one misses something rectangly while he jumps

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    You are blatantly misrepresenting the graphics of your game in your trailer.

The live action cutaways to your rabbit would have been fine (and a fun addition), but when you show example gameplay graphics (especially surrounded by a phone graphic) you must show actual game footage if you don't want your customer misled.

8. Agreed. From the trailer I assumed the game had integrated Real Rabbit Graphics™, which could have been very cool if done well.

The actual graphics were sort of a let down after that.

9. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I think, your mistake here is that you used the real bunny in a gameplay footage.

If the trailer is a story on its own and doesn't pretend to be gameplay footage (like PC game high quality render intros), then it is ok to have different style and quality.

If your trailer pretends to be gameplay footage, but it is not, then you may have a problem ;)