iOS world / Free and paid Reviews ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by manthoR, May 14, 2015.

1. manthoR

manthoR Member

May 4, 2015
    code for things ugly by day. Code games by night
    Paris, France
    #1 manthoR, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Hey guys,

I'm an indie dev who published my second game for iOS. I usually published my games only for android, so I know people, groups, forums to speak about them on this platform.

For iOS it's new for me, so it's much much harder. :confused:

• - Do you guys know good website (other than toucharcade ;)) where submit my game for free review
    • - I hate blogs that made paid reviews. That said, I want to make all chance on my side ;). Do you know if there is paid reviews really usefull and not expensive ?

Thank you !!!
    Flavien

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    There is absolutely no reason to ever pay for a review beyond a promocode (and even promocode requests are a gigantic red flag).

3. manthoR

manthoR Member

May 4, 2015
    code for things ugly by day. Code games by night
    Paris, France
    Well. I'am agree with you, but a good coverage is sometimes very hard to get !
    The only thing, for you, is hope ? :D

4. danglingneuron

danglingneuron Active Member

May 22, 2015
    Software Developer
    USA
    New to both Android and iOS

would you share your experience on Android.. how you promote games there?

I am new to both Android and iOS.. porting my games from Windows Phone.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    While nice, coverage isn't a 'must have' feature. It'd be better to invest those $50 elsewhere, like buying pizza for the TA editors* (which I suppose it a form of paying for reviews now that I think of it...). The sites that charge don't have enough traffic to sustain themselves through ads, which means they don't have the kind of traffic needed to float your app.

The best thing to do is to make a noteworthy app. Invest your money in a unique feature.

*Funny story, we tracked down the TA office back when I was still in an indie team and thought about delivering them a surprise pizza. We called the neighbors and were told there was no one there. No surprise pizza was delivered that day.

6. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Any website asking for money to review a game doesn't have the traffic to deliver you any meaningful amount of downloads. Spend your money elsewhere.

$50 on Google Adsense or Facebook ads would probably be a better investment if you have to spend the money.

7. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    I will spend my money on "Ads" more than "Reviews"