The Other Brothers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Zoet, Jan 27, 2012.

1. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    A platformer.

2. DaGreen1

DaGreen1 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Florida
    I'm quite impressed with the detail of the pixelated art. Despite it having a "low quality pixelated" look, the game looks QUITE detailed. The shading and such make it seem quite eye appealing. I'd download this, especially if there are a lot of levels and the controls are tight.

3. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Hey again everybody,

The Other Brothers team, once an odd three, is now an even four. Due to unforeseen circumstances our programmer is no longer with us, but we have added the talents of "Simian Squared": http://www.simiansquared.com/

The dynamic brother duo of Robert and Giuseppe, with their talents of programming and art, they are just the addition TOB need to push our mission forward. We are well on our way to bringing you that retro look, feel and gameplay we all love.

With the addition of Robert and Giuseppe, The Other Brothers is to be a sure hit!

Be sure to check our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/theotherbrothersgame

Thanks!

4. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Thumbs up! For all those interested in The Other Brother's playability, please let us know. Tweet us, or post, and join in. We want to make the best game we possibly can.

5. Jontunn

Jontunn Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Game Designer
    Eugene, OR
    I haven't been a fan of pixel art lately, I feel like it's a little overused. However, this game looks beautiful, it's on par with Sword & Sworcery.

6. Ap0calypse

Ap0calypse Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Are we supposed to expect a music to the level of the graphics? *fingers crossed*

7. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Wow, can't wait!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the look of this, the gameplay video looks great

Just nervous about the controls, can the dev let us know if it'll have on screen buttons ? Please dont make it tilt only or some weird swipe thing !!!

Please please have on screen controls, League of Evil and many others work perfectly with buttons

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Ohmygawd this just keeps getting better looking :eek:

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I agree about the controls!!

11. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Any news on the games release?

12. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #53 SimianSquared, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    Hey!

Yep we are working super hard, there's some BIG things to show plus diary updates. I'm not really that good at diaries but I hope to add a few things soon.

More to the point: we (the whole team) are suffering big time right now, having to juggle 2 jobs each (freelancing and TOB) which has slowed it down a bit because bills have to be paid. In short it's very difficult to maintain the quality we want in TOB unless its full time. There's been a few whispers of a kickstarter campaign which may help. I have to ask for more information about that.

Long story short, no matter what, we will try and get it to you this fall but we are not prepared to sacrifice the gameplay or visuals! Thank you for your interest, it helps us try that bit harder to please you guys and it just helps to hear from people when we work.

You can find more information on http://www.tobgame.com - there's been a competition recently and you can vote which one you like best! :)

Re: onscreen buttons:

We have some delicious tricks up our sleeves here. First, you'll have on-screen OLD SCHOOL dpad that you know and love. Next up we are trying to buy all the iCade stuff so those guys out there who prefer real controls will be happy as well! and finally we might be adding the option for a soft floating analogue control for those (optionally) that suffer a lot of thumb-drift... :)

13. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Mini Diary Entry

Simian Mode 7

What is Simian Mode 7?

Built on top of the standard unity rendering pipeline is a dedicated set of tools, shaders and custom mesh code that perfectly emulate 16 bit style rendering and DOS style rendering. This technology enables us to colour cycle, flash, make things a "virtual resolution", add realtime dithering and realtime resolution normalization so that you get a real retro feel from it as opposed to just drawing it all. It includes vignetting, plus screen "burn" effects to emulate an old monitor display as well, however that is kept to a minimum for The Other Brothers in order not to detract from the fine artwork.

Weeks of optimisation have gone into this with hand crafted shaders - none of that rubbish unity default prefab nonsense, this is coded from the ground up for speed.

We can confirm ipad1, ipad2, and the new ipad as well as iPhone 4 and 4S as running at a cool 60fps so far - this is with mode7 and vignetting, burn etc...

3GS has yet to be tested but if it's not 60fps on them it will at least never drop below 30fps. It was a nightmare to pull off because whenever I moaned about overdraw / fill rate to them they would stick their fingers in their ears and cry "la la la la la la we can't hear you! la la la la" and happily just built levels with masses of waste overdraw - all in the name of art!

SIGH! but anyway after losing hair and sanity I think Simian's pulled off a fine little engine to drive TOB with and the gamers will appreciate the fluid framerates and fast responsiveness.

We made a couple of design decisions such as jumping being on auto repeat (hold it down and it will jump as soon as you land again) - to minimise slips, or fingers not connecting properly with the screen (perils of a touch screen device) and much care has gone into making it feel responsive with good reason... sometimes you get a murderous amount of enemies trying to take you down - they are almost like mini bosses in some ways!

There will be a sexy new video coming very early after the weekend which I hope you guys will be pleased to view.

Thanks for reading!

14. SimianSquared

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
  15. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Little reminder.... we still need your help! Please spread the word if you have a minute and help us reach our goal :)

Rock on!

16. siege187

siege187 Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Just looking at your Kickstarter campaign, I think you would get a lot of help from ppl here on TA if you had a pledge level that included an IOS copy of what looks to me like an amazing game. Effectively like a pre-order, with a contribution too. If this is added I will definitely be pledging

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Does EVERY GAME need a kickstarter these days? seesh.

18. Thorwan

Thorwan Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    #59 Thorwan, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  19. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I hope the Kickstarter campaign works out for this game. I'm really excited for it to come out, and have been following it all year, hoping it'll eventually manage to get finished and see release somehow. :)