Developing games on the ipad...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mouselton, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mouselton

mouselton New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Hi all!

I've been following touch arcade for a while and this is my first post.

I'm currently travelling Australia and plan to travel elsewhere afterwards. Now my question is this:

I only have a 3rd gen ipad with me (MacBook pro is at home, in England) and I get a lot of free time. I was wondering would it be possible to start learning how to create games for ios on an ipad? Or is it strictly not possible?

I have very little knowledge of programming but really want to learn and make games. I don't expect to become rich but I just wanna create!

Sorry if this question has been raised before but I searched the forums and couldn't find something similar.

Thanks in advance!

2. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    You can't start developing right away, you will need your mac for that. What you should do is take a look at some of the engines available for IOS (don't use game salad, or some other no programming needed nonsense), decide which one you want to use and get after it. Studying up on the language that your chosen engine uses would also be a good idea. I would recommend reading this book on objective C and checking out cocos2d.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  4. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    As mr.Ugly pointed out, Codea is a great tool to do some game development on your iPad.

It's based on the Lua programming language (one of the best/most simple languages for beginners, IMO) and has tons of features that allow you to build a game right on your tablet.

I use it a lot to do some quick prototypes and have been thinking about using it for a more serious project. I can't recommend it enough!

5. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I stand corrected, that looks pretty slick.

6. mouselton

mouselton New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Awesome, thanks so much for everyone's replies, I'm currently now downloading codea as we speak!

7. HTML5, CSS and JavaScript!

Another option is to use HTML5/CSS/JavaScript on the iPad3 using tools such as (my personal fav) TextTastic as an editor, and using iPad PhotoShop (PS Touch) and/or Adobe SketchBook Pro for the graphics (disclaimer: not affiliated with any of them).

Admittedly, the workflow might not be as necessarily friendly for beginners :eek: as an all-in-one tool (ie Codea), but there are countless primers on HTML5/CSS?JavaScript on the web. Plus side though is you can also build your own interactive websites then afterwards... :cool:

PS: Thanks for the reminder - I forgot about Codea - been a while since I used it. Looks like they fixed quite a few bugs in the last update! :p

8. AngellE

AngellE Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Our company has created an App named AutoApp, which allows you create all types of applications (except games) on your tablet. It doesn't require you to code the programs. Everything is very easy and anyone can manage this App. At the moment the web site for this App is in Chinese only: www.autoapp.cc but soon we will roll it out for the global market.

9. jlauener

jlauener Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Agree on Codea it's an awesome tool, really good to learn coding/gamedev as well.

Used it during my holidays to code some game idea prototypes. What can be better than coding while sitting on the beach and eating coconuts?