now that the dust has cleared - Game Center or OpenFeint?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by headcaseGames, Feb 7, 2012.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    It's been ages since I've released an iOS app (nearly two years!) so when it comes to this stuff I am seriously out of the loop; I remember when GC launched it was pretty much "the next big thing" and lots of people on these forums would determine their purchases based on whether or not an app was running it.

My coder is not too keen to run both services in the app (I don't blame him) - I don't like having excess services in there "just to satisfy everyone," I prefer to keep that kind of presentation as uncluttered as possible and we all know it ain't easy.

Anyway, at this stage, are there compelling reasons to support OF over GC? I know older OS' will run OF, and of course there's Android too.. however, I like to think "slightly easier to consider getting featured" if you've got GC, not to mention that the small percentage of people who might talk up your game on a forum/website will likely feel the same way. What do you say?

2. GameViewPoint

GameViewPoint Active Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I've looked into this question recently, and I came down on the side of GC. At the end of the day if I'm making an iPhone/iPad game I want an Apple system in it.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've been clicking "I don't want these awesome features" since before GC even came out, but with GC games I'm automatically signed in to the service so it'd be too much effort trying to opt out even if I wanted to... which I don't :)

4. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I was going to say, as a gamer I hate OpenFeint nagging me every time I want to play a game, and as a developer I love the advantages of GameCenter. GameCenter kind of does the Google+ thing, you've got it, you didn't have to go through some lengthy process to get there, and if you don't intend to use it much it doesn't intrude.

5. AgnesDev

AgnesDev Active Member

Hi Ron,

Maybe I'm a newbie in gamedev but I was thinking about the same issue (related to my game) for couple of weeks.

I've decided to implement both of them but there is the one condition... I'm going to release my game only with GC and prepare OF's functionality for the first update, but...
    I'll observe audience's reaction after the first release and if they complain on missing OF I'll be ready to release it immediately (including some major bugs fixes ;) ).

Seriously I don't know how this "plan" can effect on my sales but at least I'll have one more "bullet point" for an update and maybe it won't hurt me too much. ;)

BTW - I don't have OF on my iPad & iPhone (yet) - maybe I'm too lazy, but I'm only a female :p

-=Agnes=-

6. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    kind of sad really, I don't know what OF could have done to make it easier for the user (and dev for that matter) but still people are talking about "nagging". Guess that's a pretty strong vote for GC.

7. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA

it's true.

the people have spoken!

8. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Is there even one real advantage of Open Feint over Game Center? Why would you even consider Open Feint at this point?

9. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    OF supports older OS's, also it is available on Android (I develop for that platform as well) and I have contacts who work at OF who could potentially help me to market the game.

Anyway I think GC is the better choice, but I wanted to see what others said.

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Replays on the leader boards you can watch how they got their score/time.

11. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    It really depends on what your game requires.

For instance GC only allows up to 25 leader boards and OF has no limit.

OF has extra things built in for saving data with high scores - which means ghost racing.

OF can be used in Android apps as well and has a network where other peoples games can promote your games.

What I'm pointing out is each service has it's strong points.

But you can also have both at the same time because OF offers all that in one package.

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Pretend you're making an XBOX game. Are you gonna use XBL or some outdated and annoying 3rd party service? I friggin hate OF and can't fathom why devs still bother with it.

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    You have to remember that just over a year ago GC didn't exist.

A developer might support GC through OF for the sake of his Android version and for the extra features.

I haven't looked at OF for a while but I think I read somewhere that you can use their API just to get at GC and sort of disable actual OF. I've also seen games that make OF very optional, I can't remember which game it was but i'm sure I saw one ask "enable OF as well as GC for extra features?".

Personally, I'm very interested in the saving recorded data with high scores, that reason alone is enough to seriously consider OF unless maybe there is some way of storing that data in iCloud and somehow passing the link around via GC. I have no idea if this is possible or not because life is too short for reading manuals :)

I guess the real question is, are a significant proportion of users so pissed off by the simple "enable OF?" question that it would be better to not use it even though there are all sorts of cool things you could do with its features.

Sadly I think the answer is yes.

14. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #14 mr.Ugly, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    well another question should be if the members of this forum really represent the mass out there..

i doubt the casual crowd out there cares for neither.. they do not log into gc and they do not make an account for of (which they don't have too they get one of thoose generic 75745839394 ones)

of course your next game (contra clone?) does not look targeted at the casual market but rather at retro gamer..

since you develope for 3 platforms (and don't know if you need to implement xbox live) i would try to go for "none" from the start.. maybe implement your own local score and achievement system (you need todo that anyway for game center, there is no offline storage) so you have the basics in place and can decide after the release and based on actual user feedback what todo from there..

there are tons of successfull ios games who do not have gc or of implemented.. its not a top priority feature in most games.

you could even try to implement your own cross platform system, so you can start on device a, then switch to the xbox and continue.. that would be a cool (completly geeky no additional sales gaining) feature..

the bottom line is.. most members on this board cry foul if a game does not follow their ideal form factor

- 99 cents or better free (a lot better yeah!!!)
    - small in size but big in content
    - no god damn iap
    - gamecenter, tons of leaderboards, achievements and best multiplayer
    - and of course next gen 3d uber gfx running on iphone os 2.0 on an ipod touch first generation.
    - did i mention 99 cents or less?
    - and never change the price ever, because someone might have bought it just before you made a sale.. thats like a sacrilege

:D hehe

in the end in all honesty implement what the best solution for you guys, if you start listening too closly to a tiny but very vocal minority you can end up with a feature that "shuts up" a few voices but most people don't even care about :)

anyway good luck on the contra-ish game.. (there is 4 player local, wifi, bluetooth and online multiplayer, right? like in super mario or rayman origins yes? *smirk*)

15. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Game Center Hands Down...

Game Center is the clear winner, even if the only benefit is the icon on your app store listing. The majority of serious iPhone gamers use Game Center, and if you don't include it you will get a lot of requests for it to be included.

The only reason you would consider openfeint is if you want to port over to android and use openfeint on you android game. Even then I would include Game Center as well.

Make sure to add icons for all your achievements and leaderboards as well, it makes the experience for the users a lot more interesting.

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    If so, then GC would be the clear choice. OF forces a popup on everyone when first running an app. The OF logo often mucks up otherwise good app icons. GC can go unnoticed by those who do not use it. So people who want neither could have a negative reaction to OF integration while GC integration would not even be noticed.
    In addition, I would be surprised if a large portion of the casual crowd does not use GC. My wife is not gamer and probably doesn't know what GC is, but she uses it. You don't really ever have to log in. It's just a fluid part of iOS. I am honestly not sure if I have ever logged in to GC. I just set up my account when it was new and it's simply been there ever since.

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    of ask once on the initial startup if you want to use it.. the same applies to gc if you are not logged in.. so there is no difference to the login procedure, except that gc is system wide.

so someone must be really picky if one initial question on the first startup of a game bothers them so much.. its like it takes half an hour of q&a to go through the process..

from the numbers i've gathered from different sources around 30% use gc if the game provides it.. question is how many of thoose 30% even know that they are using gamecenter, or even know what game center is.. since it only needs a one time entry of your login credentials.. that one time could have been month ago..

so yes of course gc is more integrated into ios (bummer!) than third party solutions.. but this does not make it "better" especialy not for a game that will be avaiable on 3 platforms (if people care to notice)

you can pair of with gc easily and have the data go through the of api to apple and still provide the same feature set on android (not xbla though) if you limit yourself to what gc offers (which is not much)

you can either go for a platform dependent isolated application (which gc is) or again maybe a multiplatform inhouse solution.. (or even an non sharing local solution)

in the end i don't see much of a "must" to have any of thoose ready by release.. again its not as important as people make it look like.

and if roysce wife doesnt know she uses game center or what it is.. i doubt she might even notice a difference if thoose "achievement x unlocked" pops ups are generated by gc , of, or your own solution.. *shrug* my 2 cents

18. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    Only 25 leaderboards? That feels like a big limitation for GC. I've got a game with 50 levels that I'd like to port to iOS and not being able to have a top time leaderboard for each level would be disappointing.

GC works great for my current game at least, where I only need 10 leader boards.

I wish they'd let you change Achievement values after release though I understand gamers wouldn't like me taking these away. Wanted to add a new achievement related to a new feature I'm adding in an update and I don't have any points left to assign.

19. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Don't forget that including game center in your app may increase your chance of being feature by apple.

20. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    thanks to all who answered.

Yeah I mentioned earlier that GC would help the odds of getting a feature. Although with the game in question I will not hold my breath :p

Thanks for reading my blog Ugly (I..have..ONE reader!!!) I actually have a few products in development right now, the one you were referring to ("retro shooter") and the one I was concerned with in this topic, a game called Trapdoor. Very simply put, it's a little like Guitar Hero by way of Fruit Ninja.. but... not too much.

Anyway I am concerned with this issue pertaining to Trapdoor, but you do bring up a good point - even though it is further out, I have some decisions to make regarding that app (and other future apps) as well. For the shooter I might investigate OF & GC, although the annoying startup time for every app running OF is realllllly making me just want to skip it altogether :(