What do people want to see in a Tower Defence game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by La~, Mar 15, 2010.

1. La~

La~ Active Member

#1 La~, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a new Tower Defence (As of a few months ago) and I'm very interested in hearing what the community itself would love to see in a TD game. I'm a huge fan of the genre and thus why I'm aimed my focus on creating a new type of TD that also expands on the age old gameplay style.

We have downloaded every known TD game for the iPhone - and taken on board all of these games reviews as well, but would love an actual thread here to see what the community here would like to see in a new TD game.

These are current set in stone things we'll have:

•Multiple fixed spawn points (EG we'll be following the old-style enemies following a set path, though these enemies might come from different paths - depending on the map)

•Towers which do more then just damage (EG some can slow, others do splash/area based damage)

•Easy, Medium, Hard

•Online scoreboard

•Autosaving

And many other things that i'm not yet ready to open to the floor (as we may or may not change them as we move along) though the above are already set and done features we'll be releasing in version 1.

I would love some ideas from the community, or even just things you'd like to see!

Some ideas we're toying with as examples:

•Interest earned (EG sentinel, earning back 5% of total gold at end of waves)
    •Unlimited Tower upgrades (scaling price as you get them higher)
    •Achievements & special rewards for completing them (EG if you have done 5, you begin with an extra 20 gold on each map)

We've also got a special unit which will be controlled unlike anything that's been done in a Tower Defence based game before.

The vast majority of the art for the game has already been completed, though the UI is currently in work so I'm not ready to show any screenshots today from the game, though we most certainly have a very playable version up and running, though to give an idea - heres a tower and an enemy from the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts on Tower Defence! I know you all love em! :)

2. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    I love TD too. Waiting for your new app.

One of the most important you (maybe) missed. The autosave function. It is MUST for iPhone TD game.

A store to upgrade some common basic unit power. And those tower can be upgrade more powerful in game.

Store can be purchase some extra item, eg. the graphics, music.

That's another idea I do not found at the other TD game. Add quest to the game. You can have different goal for the user to finished. Not only 20 or 60 waves to finished the game.

WOW.. Lots of idea want to tell.. ^O^

3. La~

La~ Active Member

Haha, autosave is already complete :) - I agree, it's 100% a must have.

For now, DLC isn't something I'm considering (if that's what you mean by store - or do you mean in-game gold/score points?) - all features will be free upgrades for users.

A quest style element is interesting, that could also tie in very well with our special unit we're adding in. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Megan Fox.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    A promise there won't be any more?

6. Pretty much this. TD games are like match-3 games: The market's oversaturated with them, so unless you can do something radically different and interesting with one -- without looking like you're doing it for its own sake -- it's going to be next to impossible to stand out.

I like TD games, don't get me wrong, but it's jumped the shark. And then it doubled back and beat the shark to death. With a horse. If I had to answer what I want to see in a TD game, then it would be, as I said, something radically different in a way that gets my attention and doesn't just half-ass it with the standard formula. In other words: Something with a respectable degree of originality and a very high degree of polish. I realize that's pretty damn difficult, but let's be honest here: Anything less and you're just joining the rest of the mediocre TD developers who are all clamouring for an increasingly small slice of an increasingly stale pie.

7. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    2 important things to me for TD games...

1. Plenty of towers/weapons
    2. Good Balance between cost of towers in relation to earnings.

8. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
  9. La~

La~ Active Member

We're aiming for several different types of Towers, and some unique ones - we're starting beta testing in a few weeks, and expecting it to run up until release, so we're sure we'll get the gameplay balance right.

10. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    maybe an option to move a tower that already has been placed

11. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    That's actually a neat idea... A weak tower that can be moved x times per round.

I think if you want to penetrate the TD market, you'll need at least a dozen towers.

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Star Defense(full 3-D) with Defender Chronicles(RPG) elements. ;)

13. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    a complex, branching upgrade system were two separate towers originally of the same kind can be upgraded into two different towers. I feel that this is preferable to many different kind of towers because it gives the sense of uncovering new possibilities as you play (and replay) that come from different upgrade paths taken along the way. It also kills the boring mechanism of having to make good towers that you have slightly better towers over and over again and inspires a greater sense of progressing.

ex: http://www.addictinggames.com/antbuster.html

14. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    hmm maybe combo towers

15. OrangeVegan

OrangeVegan New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Add to TD

power ups and drops.

RPG elements for sure, I've played SO many hours of Defender Chronicles.

Ease of use, comedy and extreme amount of content like Plants vs. Zombies.

mini games like PvZ desktop or the intermission games like the bowling in either version.

upgrading towers is one of the best parts of TD, making it feel important is the key. Adding poisoned arrows in Defender Chronicles was Awesome! Attributes like that.

I probably would never use it, but adding multiplayer would be pretty fun and new. The second player could choose what enemies to send out (and from where if there are multiple spawn points)

16. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    I personally like combination towers and multiple upgrade paths. Plus all sorts of special towers. Go look at Bloons Tower Defense 4. That's the type of tower defense I like.

17. Zolty

Zolty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I only want one thing. Addictive gameplay :)

18. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    If you are so sick of them, wouldn't it be easier to just ignore TD related thread and TD games?

19. La~

La~ Active Member

Mini-games are an interesting thought - I can think of several that would fit... and one very strong concept - I'll add this to the list for sure!

And I agree with everyones statements on the Towers & the upgrade system requiring a very in-depth look - which is exactly why we're asking what everyone wants! :)

20. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Maybe this will help, my favs:
    Sentinel (great interest bonus for saving money)
    7Cities (great Towers improvement based on kills)
    Defender Chronicles (great RPG elements)
    GeoDefense (great example of gameplay and difficulty where they can beat graphics and make one of the best TDs)
    Fieldrunners (A classic, you have to think alot how and what to put on the path)