Radial 50 - releasing soon - let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by robinrath, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    iPhone App Developer/Designer
    St. Louis MO
    #1 robinrath, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Looks very polished, I can't wait. :)

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah.. Looks awesome. Why 50 levels by the way? Radial360 sounds like a better name (although of course 360 levels is a bit much lol -- then again, if the levels are automatically generated, this would not be a problem on the dev part :D)

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game looks great!

Is the music on the video the type of music that will be ingame?

5. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    That game certainly looks interesting, as far as I can tell, the graphics are polished, the controls are nice, and the gameplay is unique. But might I ask, what will be the posibility of extra levels in the future?

6. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    That looks fantastic! I've wanted to make a game similar to that since forever. Now I don't have to. :D

Day 1 purchase confirmed.

7. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    We really wanted to focus on creating a brick breaker game that has a finite amount of levels - the name helps stress this point.

8. robinrath

robinrath Active Member

May 28, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Yes, all of the music in the game carries that same theme.

9. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah I'll pick this up as well. I like to support new devs...

10. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Could you put it on YouTube? I think it's smart for devs to do since people on their iPod can watch them.

11. zariok

zariok New Member

May 28, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/radial50

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #12 Prab, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I am currently testing the game and I just got permission from Robin to post some impressions here on TA.

First of all, this game is really awesome. You can already get the look and feel from the gameplay video in youtube. I think the graphics is pretty sleek and its style extends to all the menus and font as well. Yes, the soundtrack in the game will be just like in the video. There are several soundtracks as well, all in the same cool (techno?) style.

The controls are pretty simple. Just slide up and down on the right of the screen to rotate the paddle.

The gameplay has similarities to your standard brickbreaker, but somehow I find radial50 more refreshing. Here are some cool differences:

1. When the ball gets near to your paddle, a little guide will show up telling you how the ball will bounce off the paddle. This adds an extra dimension to the game because you will actually spend that 1 second when the guide appears, before the ball hits, to carefully aim.
    2. The aim is not to clear all the bricks. Its actually to hit the diamond in the middle. So in this game, the bricks actually behave more like obstacles. In some levels, bricks actually respawn so you really have to choose a path to the diamond and stick to it. Switching to come from different angles all the time (because of poor aiming) will get you no where.
    3. And it wouldnt be a brickbreaker game without powerups right? Powerups/downs in this game is triggered whenever you hit a white brick. There are plenty standard ones (shorter/longer paddle) but also some cool ones (a circular shield surrounding the gameplay field so that the ball auto deflects and you dont have to do anything).
    4. With each level, the game gets harder. More brick respawns, more powerdowns, etc. And the other cool thing is most levels have names. I'd like to think that naming (theming) each level adds quite a nice touch.
    5. Bonus points gets awarded for a lot of things. e.g. finish a level in 35 seconds, no life lost. There are also many achievements for you to get in the game.

All in all, this is an excellent game waiting to be unleashed :D

13. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this. It looks polished graphically and challenging to play.

14. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah.. Its pretty challenging and super fun to play. I've been looking for another brickbreaker game, this might just satisfy that need :D

15. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    This is a great game guys, Prab about summed it up. Very challenging, Im still on like level 7 or so and cant get past :)

16. Nice. There's a nice glossy polish on this one, with clean, professional visuals, coupled with what looks like fast gameplay. It's hard to tell what it would play like from the video, but the little I could glean seems like it would be pretty easy.

I'd be interested in giving this a test drive and review.

17. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    #17 Clymos, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
    Looks kind of like vortex, the game on my old nano, but crazier. the aim line before you hit the ball is new.

18. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    It's a lot different from Vortex (I hated that game) You dont have to destroy the bricks, soemthing I was elated to hear. I was like "Oh no.... not this!" and bam, destroy the crystal...

Plus vortex just didnt work on the nano..

19. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Yup, give it a spin, as it were :p.

20. Shocked

Apr 19, 2009
    I c wat u did thar....

anyways, be prepare for a challenge, everyone..