Universal Blast-A-Way (by Illusion Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I want this game wow only game I know I'm gonna like by them so far or at least get into.

2. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Silly question to ask, I guess, but is there iCloud? Can there please be iCloud?

3. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No iCloud, but I really enjoy the game. Terrific art style, too.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Guess you'll never be getting this, then. Take a look at Illusion Labs' pricing history on the App Store. ;)

5. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    You're right,I'm so past my limit of purchases this month and it looks so cool :'( and even if they did a price cut it will never go free so if anyone waiting for a price drop you'll be waiting for a long time!!!

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Looks very interesting, though I wonder how challenging it does get later on. Can anyone confirm there's no IAP?

7. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    #27 anduril_ukr, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Game Impressions

Initial Impressions:

• This is signature Illusion Labs . The slick, 3D menus, the upbeat yet restrained music, the polished and stunning 3D graphics - it's all there.
    • The learning curve is a bit too gentle for my tastes, but once one reaches the second world, of five, the level complexity really starts to climb.
    • The camera is somewhat cumbersome. Different places of the screen must be swiped to rotate or move the level elements, thus making quick, instinctive camera repositionings a cause of frustration. This is relatively minor though.
    • The worst feature of the camera is its automatic repositioning upon selecting a robot or performing some actions. I have had times in which I spent far too long precisely setting the camera angle and placement, just to have it swing to an entirely different place when quickly switching characters or inadvertently tapping the screen.
    • The selling point of the camera though - it is entirely manipulatable in any fashion imaginable. The game gives you freedom to achieve the perfect perspective for the task.
    • Camera aside, the gameplay is fantastic. It is straightforward in concept, but varied and interesting in level design. There are no glitches, no bugs, no gameplay loopholes, no gimmicks, no frustrations beyond the aforementioned camera issues.
    • The gameplay is well constructed, creative in its combination of familiar puzzle game elements, and compelling to play. While I wouldn't quite call it addicting (especially in its tame first world), it certainly is not a bore. In fact, as the game progresses, the levels become more and more enjoyable, challenging, and impressive.
    • I really like the aesthetics of the game. No, I'm not talking about the fantastic lighting and textures (although those are undeniably impressive); I'm talking about the art direction. The bright, vivid colors; the bold, geometric blocks; the clean, unembellished background - nothing is there that shouldn't be, and everything is there that should be. Simple without being austere, vibrant without being gaudy, detailed without being gratuitous.
    • Overall, the polished, well-executed gameplay, clever level design (primarily starting in the second world), and beautiful graphics make me very glad I purchased this.

8. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    We at Illusion Labs are looking into adding iCloud to the game. So it might be added in an update.

/Marcus

9. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    There is no in-app-purchase. You get the complete game.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Cheers, and cha-ching!

And put me down as one more asking for iCloud.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #31 Misguided, Aug 30, 2012
    This is good...really really good. It does start slowly, but starts getting more interesting in the last couple levels of the first set. Here's one thing that may not be apparent from videos you've seen: once boxes (or bombs etc) are free from any blocks holding them, they can be blown all over the place, and you can get creative in knocking them between platforms, etc. you can also knock yourself or another bot off of a platform (ending a level). It definitely starts to get trickier.

Extremely polished, just as you'd expect from this developer.

I agree with Anduril on the camera. An option to prevent the Alera from moving when switching robots would be appreciated.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #32 metalcasket, Aug 30, 2012
    You know...between this, TWEWY and McPixel, this has got to be one of the most satisfying weeks to spend money on the App Store. $25 on 3 games that do not contain the slightest trace of IAP. Lovely! :)

EDIT: Oh, and of course Bastion...but stupid iPad-only poop. *shakes fist*

Yes, I said "poop".

13. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Joy in digital form. From the moment the first level loads and you place a finger on the screen.

14. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
  15. redonion

redonion Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Awesome looking graphic but game seems a bit boring. Am I right?

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well judging by the people who have bought it above it seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback

17. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    This is a rare AAA release for the platform; quality on every aspect of the game. Really great work.

The POV controls feel native and intuitive, tapping once to get a good view of an object - tap again to have the camera track to the other side of the object; also zooming, rotating and moving the world works great.

Avatar movement works well, although the 3D perspective often prevents an optimal path.

Keywords: rich, varied, dynamic, detailed, polished, intuitive, cute, finite, solo.

Overall a highly entertaining title.

18. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    <deleted, wrong thread>

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Like others said, this IS a AAA iOS title, its more expensive than the average game but it shows in polish and fun. Love the Portal 2 vibe.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED