What will happen if I delete a game file from iTunes and sync?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Jul 28, 2010.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Question: If I delete the new file from iTunes and sync my iPhone, what will happen?

a. Will the old version get transferred back to my iTunes and thus I can keep my old version?

b. Or will the game get deleted from my device?

The reason is I already downloaded Prince of Persia update and deleted the previous version, but then I read the new controls suck and don't want to update. The Prince of Persia on my iPhone is still the old version and I want to keep it.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #2 Zincous, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Delete the itunes file. then plug your device in and over on the left side column, right click on your device name.

Then hit "transfer purchases".

And it should put your old file onto your computer. I can test this out right now if you want....

EDIT: Yup just placed the game file right back in itunes for me and left the game on my phone.

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Thanks Zincous. Will it have problem if I have other games with old version on iPhone and new version on iTunes?

I mean, I have an iPhone 3G and I don't wanna upgrade to iOS 4 yet as many people said it's very slow on iPhone 3G (and almost no exciting new features), so there are some game that aren't updated since they aren't compatible with iOS 3.1.3, eg. Broken Sword.

I know it's very unlikely that it'll screw up those games, but just want to make sure since I can't imagine losing my Broken Sword save file.

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No problem.

And no, even if itunes tried updating your apps on your phone you'd get a warning pop-up saying they are incompatible with your phone.

And I don't think the phone would overwrite your itunes files with the older versions either.

But I cannot see anything happening that you'd lose those games.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Not with your method, but if you hit Sync AFTER it finishes syncing, you're one click away from deleting those incompatible games from the iPhone :p

Fortunately that click comes in a warning popup box, but still, I was very shocked when seeing 'delete' and 'Broken sword' on the same sentence, lol.