Best Press Release Websites?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DaveLev, Mar 11, 2010.

1. DaveLev

DaveLev Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Indie Games Developer for iPhone
    Derby, UK.
    Hi,

I've got a game to be released very soon and was just wondering if anyone's had any luck with sending out press releases, and what websites were used?

This is our 2nd game, the 1st failed quite miserably, we think due to the lack of pre-release information about the game and lack of information on the release week.

Any press release websites would be of help!

Thanks!

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

PRMac.com is my personal favorite. They're cheap, they get it out there, and you can actually see results.

It may not necessarily lead to reviews but it goes a ways for getting the name of you and your game out there.

Good luck!

3. I second the recommendation for prmac.com.

They take the time to read your release and make suggestions for things you might want to change.

4. DominoL

DominoL Active Member

Dec 12, 2009
    I'm in the same boat as DaveLev. I also wonder if press release would get any coverage for iPhone apps... we indie always have a small budget on ads/press release so it has to be money wise spent...

$20 offer from prmac.com seems reasonable for press release though. Thank you for the link

5. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    $20 for anything is a load of sh*t.

You shouldn't have to pay to get a press release out. Give it out to iPhone review and media sites. They will take a look at it and if they think your game is good enough it will appear on their site. Never pay for reviews or anything except advertising..

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

You obviously don't have to pay. Using a service such as PR-Mac makes sense however. It takes time to spread the word and a service of this nature can save you a lot of time and get you some exposure you normally wouldn't have. That doesn't mean that you can't contact TouchArcade with a more personal approach in addition.

If you think $20 for PR-Mac's services is too expensive, then by all means don't use PR-Mac. To state that "$20 for anything is a load of sh*t" is however a statement I find to be utterly false.

7. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    To me paying for a press release and comments about the game is the same as buying for a review. They become bias and I automatically can't trust it when it says it's a great game, even if it actually is.

I can't say I have had any experience with prmac, they may be different. But the general consensus I get with seeing sites requiring payment is that they are often a waste.

8. NickFalk

Eh, the point is you write the press release, and pay PR-mac to distribute it for you. All press releases are biased, that's in their nature.

9. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    and hows that more beneficial?

10. NickFalk

To quote myself:
    Also: PR-Mac have several techo-blogs and news aggregates that subscribes to the different "channels". Bottom line: It's saves time.

11. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    THanks you
    that sounds great
    since my English isn't too great i guess I will be using this service when the time comes

12. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

prMac and other companies will circulate your press release to a far wider audience than 20-30 iPhone gaming websites. Of course they send tons of press releases to SO many people that likely a majority of them don't care at all about it, and even consider it to be spam!

Example:
    http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/i-pissed-off-a-pr-spammer-today/

And I've seen plenty of other complaints about them too... Would they still be worth using? Maybe in select cases, but for most of us probably not! The same goes for advertising... unless your game is astoundingly good, you're probably better off saving your money and just targeting the top sites personally.

13. DaveLev

DaveLev Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Indie Games Developer for iPhone
    Derby, UK.
    Seems like people have conflicted views for Press Releases. Guess I'll have to make my own mind up!

Thanks for the help guys, as well as the website.

14. sixthturn

sixthturn Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Prmac.com as far as i can see,it is a waste to release on a website for a new game.U can do directly and talk to them to see whether ur game is qualified to be released in their platform or not,then u can take actions.---personal advice.:D

15. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

but sixthturn, WHAT action can you take then? Short of contacting bloggers, buying company coasters to distribute at local bars, and NOT spending money on a press release... ? lol. sigh, no one said this was gonna be easy. except the people that hadn't done it.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Just throwing this out there but if you're a developer and haven't joined the Developer group yet you should do so- http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=45468

This thread wouldn't have been railroaded by people who don't understand what prmac.com does if it were in the private forum. :D

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...or what a press release is :rolleyes: