List of Board / Card / or any casual Pick up and Play games that use BT or WIFI

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cranker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #1 cranker, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I am disapointed that "the game of life" has no BT or Wifi and have discovered that most board and card games or casual pick up and play games (like ten pin shuffle) do not. I wanted to pick up "Speed Demon" a classic card game but that too seems to have no BT or fifi for multiplayer.

Anyone have some suggestions?

I am sick of devs including 2 players with the same dovice or pass n play ..............Why do we have BT and wifi ?

edit: sorry, Ten Pin Shuffle was my example of a game done right with all the available options that should be included in every game that is multiplayer. Sell the games for more if you need to, but make it right !!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    10 Pin Shuffle has pass-n-play and BT and wifi, doesn't it? :confused:

iAtoms has Wifi and internet play.

I'll try to think of more...

Astraware Board Games has wifi play.

Word Ace has internet play, as do a ton gambling-type card games.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Button Men is 2 player and bluetooth enabled.

4. vicente.ramirezch

vicente.ramirezch Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 8, 2009
    Santiago, Chile.
  5. LostToken

LostToken Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Baltimore, MD
    Durak 2.0 is almost ready for release

- Wi-Fi
    - Bluetooth
    - Online (including buddy lists & friend codes)

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Cranker 10 pin shuffle does contain bluetooth, and I also recommend checking out button men and get durak when the update comes out.

Edit: just read your edit post

7. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

The BT, Wifi feature is so rarely used.........I am wondering if it's difficult to program. It makes a great game average :( .....I am sure it will come. It should be in all games that can make use of it.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Jamzu is very much like a boardgame and has wifi

9. DougNicola

DougNicola Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    #9 DougNicola, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks drelbs for the mention. I'm proud of how well our Local Wi-Fi mode works in Jamzu, and am happy to see it commented on. (Also, playing Jamzu against your friends on Wi-Fi is just a total freaking blast! :D )

It's interesting, cranker, that you are frustrated with the lack of BT/Wi-Fi in casual games. Along with Jamzu, we will have several new and unique two-player casual games coming out over the next months, and they will always have both a computer opponent, and Local Wi-Fi capability (meaning local computer, home, or office type Wi-Fi network). BT will also be an option at some point soon.

I thought about having same-device and pass n play type options as well, but now that the Wi-Fi/BT options are going so well, I may drop those ideas completely (although when the larger screen tablets come out, same-device will be much more appealing). Interesting to see that you are getting sick of those limits. (edit: two-player same device will be in Jamzu at some point very soon, but Wi-Fi/BT options are more of a priority for us.)

The Wi-Fi examples included by Apple were a great starting point (as a kind of hint), but I had to take things much further for Jamzu. Overall though, the programming was fairly straightforward, and the solution I came up with is general enough to use for all our future two-player casual games. A major goal was to keep it general enough to use for BT as well, and I'll see how that goes soon. ;)

It's great to know that people are looking for more Wi-Fi capable casual games, and is very encouraging for our efforts!

Cheers,
    ~Doug

10. Handmark Games

Aug 18, 2009
    Astraware Board Games also connects over bluetooth locally as well. It will detect the best connection and use that!

11. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Words With Friends and Chess With Friends work over the Internet.

12. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    We have BT and wifi working internally for our games. There's still one more game that needs to be retrofitted for BT before we can submit an update to our Kidzillion Games Pack.