Universal Bonza Word Puzzle: A new type of crossword

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MiniMega, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Fantastic puzzle app. It feels great, looks great and plays great. Since I got the game free, I'll buy the coin doubler now to show some support, and buy the puzzle packs as soon as fiscally possible.

2. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Loving this game. But for such a simple game graphically and with no music, it just destroys my battery on a 4S. A lot of fun though!

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Hooray for new puzzles! Loving the user created dailies. Still playing every single day!!!

4. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Updated my iPhone from a 4s to a 6 and lost well over 600 credits. Kind of a bummer to a really cool game.

5. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    That is a bummer! I didn't lose any when I upgraded, so I don't know what happened. :(

6. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Awesome! 5 stars! Love it!

7. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Btw. Got hold of customer support about this and they were awesome. Thanks.

8. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on making the Best of 2014 list in the US for iPhone games! I was really excited to see Bonza on it!

9. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Latest update v1.7.4:

If you want to buy the collected classic packs as a cheaper bundle, do it before updating. After the update all bundled packs are gone.

They say there are more ways to earn coins, but I haven't seen any more ways yet. You get the same tiers of coin packs if you choose to buy more.

Prices went from 220 for old daily puzzle packs to 290, but you still only get 5 coins for solving a puzzle (10 with the doubler).

Now when playing a level an annoying "free hint" countdown timer pops up on the side, offering a free hint if you watch a video. When the countdown ends it disappears. Then reappears a few seconds after you form another word.

My biggest problem with this game is still that you can't pick any puzzle to play from a pack that you buy or unlock.

In all, I really regret updating, and I'm considering deleting it, even though I bought it at launch and bought the coin doubler.

If these changes were brought about due to feedback, I have no idea who they were listening to.

10. Syro

Syro Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Totally agree. Free hint pop up is hugely annoying, plus after finishing the daily I got prompted to watch a video to earn coins. This all even though I have nagging popups disabled in settings.

I respect their right to try and make money, but these changes have made the game much less enjoyable for me.

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    New update today which allows Celebrity Designer Packs to be bought for coins, not money.

As I've been playing the daily puzzle mode every day for a looong time, and I previously bought 4 of them, I've got enough coins to unlock all 8 remaining packs and then some, so I'm pretty happy!

Also worth noting that the complaints above about the previous update were all resolved months ago when the devs allowed these popups to be disabled in settings.

This is by far the longest-lasting game on my phone and it's highly recommended for anyone who even slightly enjoys word games.

12. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Nice! I switched over to Bonza National Geographic because I like the picture puzzles, but I still think Bonza as a whole is still the best word game for iOS.

13. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I noticed that Bonza hasn't been optimized for the larger screen iPhone 6/6+ yet, but the National Geographic version has. Is that coming soon? It's not a big deal because the game is still perfectly playable... just thought I'd ask.

Still play this every day. Love games with daily puzzles like Bonza, Word Jong, and 7 Little Words.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm still playing both every day!

15. MiniMega

MiniMega Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Game Developer
    Byron Bay, Australia
    New feature: Bonza Puzzle Creator

We've been collecting puzzle suggestions from Bonza users for a while now.
    It's a really simple webform that allows users to suggest a clue and the answers.
    Since 2014 we've collected over 100,000 submissions, we curate and edit these into daily puzzle content.

It seems appropriate that the next evolution for Bonza involves user generated content in some way.
    So we've been working on a Bonza puzzle creator, It allows you to design your own puzzles and send them to friends.
    It's a big job but it feels worth it since there's so much potential for interesting puzzle ideas in multiple languages.

Here's the new home screen.
    We'll be looking for Beta testers in about a week.

Attached Files:

16. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Nice! This does make sense as the natural evolution. I assume this will just be for OG Bonza, since Nat Geo is more curated by nature?

17. MiniMega

Aug 4, 2011
    Game Developer
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Yes this is a feature for OG Bonza.
    You'll be able to access the puzzle creator from BNG but it will open in the other app.

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    That's an awesome new feature, can't wait to try it.

Imo I think Bonza is the best casual puzzle out there. I admit I do get angry with it sometimes and stop playing but overall it's generally relaxing and a good time waster.

19. Alljobest

Alljobest New Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Like this game

It is a good idea of this game. The graphics is good too. good job, really!

20. MiniMega

Aug 4, 2011
    Game Developer
    Byron Bay, Australia
    #40 MiniMega, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Beta testing: Bonza puzzle creator

Hi,

The Bonza Puzzle creation tool is functional and ready for testing.
    We're looking for Beta testers who can trial it out and help iron out any bugs.
    Also, your opinion would be really helpful.

If you'd like to join please email us (Use the same email that you use to log-in to iTunes.)

Thanks
    Ben

Attached Files: