Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    (May possibly have replied to your post on the wiki)

This is just a thought I had: Isn't there a Pacific route (I want to say either the Yokohama-SF or Manila-Acapulco) where Passepartout can spot a person being killed? Has anyone every figured out the story behind that?

2. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Holy crap, just discovered a new route that I don't think anyone knows about. It's not on the FAQ, Wiki, or steam map.

In Zurich, you can skip nights. However, you'll still be locked out of using the Alberg Express, since you end up sleeping under the railway bridge and discover that the tracks have gone missing. But if you sleep there for three (or four?) nights, you skip the Tunis appointment and instead get to take a Bozek car directly to Venice.

3. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    It's on the Yokohama-San Francisco route when Passepartout hears two sailors arguing up on the rigging and then sees one of them fall down. But that sailor actually dies instantly, it's not that he survives and gets amputated or something like that. So I don't think that is it.

I still think it's the Aegean Ferry guy I wrote about here earlier.

Haha, nice find. :) But looking at VadeX-vaderence's map on Steam, it seems like he's already accounted for that route. Hard to find, nevertheless.

4. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Yep, that route is already marked on the map. An alternate way of leaving Zurich without activating the storyline from there.

Talking about secret routes, there is a route that I may as well share now. It is considered out of bounds by the devs, as it should be absolutely impossible for players to reach at the first place. Regardless, I found a way to take this route anyway (without cheating) and noticed that this route is just a placeholder, and all the dialog boxes en-route are empty. I told the devs, kept my mouth shut, and hoped they will fix it in a later patch, but they didn't. I doubt they are going to release a patch about it after all this time, so I may as well share it as a legitimate route from now on.

Simply put,
    you can get on the eastbound Arlberg express from Zurich to Vienna and Warsaw
    . The routes are fully functional, and there is no observable bugs triggered when, and after taking the trips. The only incomplete part of these trips are just the textboxes.

If you have run out of things to do in 80 days, try to find a way to get on the train! I will share the way to do so if nobody gets it after a while.:)

5. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Haha, sounds like fun.

However, I recently had to wipe my phone clean and now all the routes unlocked by successive playthoughs (Orient Express to Istanbul, Yokohama-Honolulu route, Transcontinental Express to New York, etc.) are locked again - including the Paris-Zurich one. I would have to play the game through at least six times to get all of them unlocked again.

As a matter of fact, I don't even know after which playthrough Zurich becomes playable...

6. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I have no idea what order these unlock, but the unlock able things that I know of are: the southern and eastern bits of the Orient Express, Zurich, Cambridge, The Noelani (Yokohama-Honolulu) (also, I think Yokohama-SF is about 4000 pounds cheaper on the first run, simply because it's the 'planned' route), several of the other adventures (North Pole? The moon, obviously, and murder mystery, are both locked at the start. I'm not sure about some of the others), and all Black-Rose affiliated routes.

Also, I think you can start the Black Rose without getting the event on the Amphitrite Express. I have yet to try it, but the Blue Line from Nice-Tunis will always lead to Estelle following you to Beirut/Luxor with the correct decisions on the Blue Line. Perhaps you will still get notes, though?

7. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Whisky for the Niagara adventure

Fyi, there's whisky in Dubrovnik on seed VIII (for having a flask aboard the Kahwoka Othunwe to trigger the Niagara adventure).

Other cities with whisky include Bucharest (II), Istanbul (IV), Madras (IV & VII) and Athens (V).

8. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Curious sight on the Transcontinental Express

When you have Field Glasses with you and choose to look out the window some time after leaving San Francisco on the Transcontinental Express, you get a different text bit compared to having no Filed Glasses - and it's quite mysterious.

It goes like this:

I scoured the view closely through binoculars and caught a glimpse of a line of buildings, set into side of a mountain-face. I saw a statue, carved into the stone, and a column of dark green smoke: but what it could mean, I do not know.

Whereas the regular text is this:

I gazed out of the window at the endless, lifeless expanse on either side, wondering if humanity would ever occupy this great, open space. It seemed unlikely.

Did anybody encountered this situation and does anybody know what is that
    statue, carved into the stone, and a column of dark green smoke
    Passepartout sees?

9. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015

I know nothing about the stones, but I'll tell you that on one of my money collection speed-runs I THINK I FOUND THE AMPUTEE SAILOR!!!!!

In Rome, if you turn in the Zouave agent to the Scuola and then ask for a reward, you get a free route from Rome to Izmir. On this journey, a squall hits the ship and one of the sailors gets badly injured. If you save him, he says that he'll get his arm replaced anyway.

10. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Ah, indeed, I totally forgot about that adventure although I did that route once a long long time ago. But I never imagined it would be kind of 'embedded' in another adventure. (Although the Niagara is embedded in the floating village one and the Machu Picchu one is kind of embedded in the Portal To The Past one.) Props if it is indeed that one.

In the meantime, I'm just crossing the Pacific to Acapulco and I got a new option there as well with - totally accidentally - once again having Field Glasses in one of my cases. Right after you can, of course, get the Brass Telescope from the airship captain and I figured I will simply take the telescope to the outside of San Francisco to see if I can get a better view with that one.

Only a touch related, but don't you know, by accident, what Fogg means when, after you acquire a Magnifying Glass, he says "it will help with the finer print of the international editions"?

11. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The "finer print of the international editions," I believe, simply refers to reading a newspaper. It was a fairly common practice in the 1800s when newspapers were first becoming popular to put the letters as small as possible, especially captions, in order to save on printing costs. Magnifying glasses were used.

Are you saying the Field Glasses will allow you to not climb the airship on the Reina Christina? Or are you saying that the telescope will act as a pseudo-field glasses?

The problem is, no routes go anywhere near that area besides, I believe, the trans-continental. That means, if possible, you need to acquire some trait/item/mission that allows you to get off the train and go exploring.

12. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Thank you.

It might be that you get more varied newspaper clippings as you read during the journeys if you have a Magnifying Glass with you. Like getting the hint
    "Russian Base "Under" Mount Elbrus?"
    even if you did not head that way during the journey. But that's fairly impossible to test.

No, no, oddly enough, you still have to climb the rigging on the Reina Christina. So I guess it just allows you to see farther. And yeah, I do wonder what will happen if I head out of Frisco with the Brass Telescope. Most likely nothing - as you said I cannot stop anywhere close - but still. It could also be that what I will see eventually is just something that is there on a nearby route, like, I don't know, the railway to the south. (I can't really remember what happens there, I've only been on it once or twice.)

13. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That's the Mormon railway, I believe.

I'm currently trying to break the /r/80days record for money, but it's not going well. Know any quick ways for money besides the Sisters of Didacus?

14. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    "What a marvellously simple way to motivate an adventure," lol. :)

If I were you I would list each premier trade good's availability and selling points (b.pendell's FAQ would help as well as the 80 Days Wiki) and then set a route as long as is humanly possible, reaching as many availability and selling points as possible. I'd go seed by seed to see which one is the best.

I wouldn't worry too much about spending - one-time booms of anything between 2000 and 8000 pounds cover any expenses. Of course, I would stack up as many negotiation and restoration sets as possible, try to sleep rough as much as I can and would actively use the mobile platforms' 'official cheat' of tapping the Fogg button as many times as possible while it's up.

Adding all these up, I don't think I couldn't near the record and try hard enough and you can most often find an optimalisation that is not discovered yet. And there's your advantage. That's how I did the 26-day record, after all, lol.

But what I advised here is just soooooooo much work and grind that I would not do it - unless I get to keep my pounds in real life at the end, haha.

Good luck in any case! :)

15. Wigmaster999

Wigmaster999 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Working on it now. Also, I just figured out that the longest route in the game isn't the Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow-Vladivostok. The Trans-Siberian is 5,772 miles long. However, using Google's fancy distance calculator, it's 5894 miles from Capetown (Bhayi) to Jakarta (Batavia). If you go to the Comoros Islands (St. Denis) first, it's even longer!

16. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Trigger FOUND! to Help the Belgrade resistance & Ruin a Viennese man's life

It took me a bit going down the rabbit hole of unpacking the game's asset files on PC, but I finally found the function which determines whether you can meet Herr Danzer in Vienna or not.

It seems to be a simple mathematical function of the game getting the number of playthroughs you completed, divide it by 3 and call in the Herr Danzer text bits if the remainder equals to 1.

In other words, you get to meet him in every third playthrough starting from the second one. (So 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, etc.)

I haven't check this, so let me know if it's not correct, but otherwise everyone is welcome. :)

17. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Anybody know what today's update is about?

18. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Mind you, the game is on several platforms and without saying which one you would want to talk about, there is liable to be an extra loop of conversation figuring this one out.

For example, I'm on Android and there's nothing there so - for others - it's either iOS or PC.

19. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    He's referring to iOS. An update came out on Oct 21st and the only patch note is, "Hundreds of adventures await!".

20. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    You do realize we're on a website about iOS gaming, right?