Recommendation for good Mahjong game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by virtualsmith, Jul 13, 2010.

1. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks! It's very similar to how I learned to play as a kid, including the look of the tiles and the terminology. Looking forward to checking it out some more.

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

I am playing Mahjong since many years on different platforms with great joy.

The fabulous iPad touchscreen is ideal for that game, a complete new experience! Neither the small iPhone screen nor the cursor-shifting on Macs or PCs with mouse or trackpad (magic or not) come close to this absolute "real" feeling. As if they've made the iPad just for Mahjong!

Please try it with your great consoles even if you didn't like that genre before. You'll learn some really interesting asian symbols and get better each time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

Once you've got the basic tiles you're done and nothing will keep you off getting professional. Computer-Mahjong can get REALLY fast, and I mean really.

Bought "Mahjong Artifacts HD" here my review:

Gorgeous animations and sounds, reliable but some serious drawbacks.

Gameplay is excellent to spectacular, it's stable and reliable, along with all the animations and fitting sounds, even for very fast players (most important). If no more moves are possible, several options are offered. Interrupted games will be resumed. Anyway I will cover a few unpleasant things:

[​IMG]I find it a bit "cowardly" to highlight the selectable tiles by default graphically. Okay, you can change that, but the recognition of the "free tiles" is one important part of the game for me personally.

[​IMG]I've seen more beautiful stones (speaking now of the standard tiles, all images in this review are by Wikimedia and not by the iPad game), but they are nevertheless well-recognizable and identifiable, even if they are naturally covered in part. When they are touched they will be displayed completely.

[​IMG]This "forced Tutorial" is childish and pedantic, particularly if you have it through after the light version. Absolute beginners won't remember anything after that, and even professionals should open the help file from time to time to learn the special stones in the "adventure game"—and only for this mode is the help—and to be able to use them properly.

[​IMG]The text fields displaying "excellent" and so on cover up the view of the playing field. Although they show up rather seldom and for a very short time (but unfortunately when you have a "run") this is terribly annoying. There should be space enough on the generous iPad screen for those motivating messages without covering any part of the game.

[​IMG]The quality of the music is rather average and not interesting any more after the third repetition at the latest but that may be a matter of taste. Okay, you can turn down the volume, but the game does not remember this setting. Game effects sound is top notch and full stereo with headphones or power amplification.

[​IMG]There are no "real" high-score lists! For each layout in the "classic" mode some ominous score numbers are saved, calculated by dubious and undisclosed rules, but not the best time. This is a real drawback for me, and "Shanghai Mahjong" p. e. is much better for very interesting scoring and statistics. Not a trace of online scores in "Mahjong Artifacts HD". You won't get informed separately when you beat your high score. And these strange, in a variety of "Artifacts" packed awards (with an admittedly fine display) don't comfort me about the missing time scores.

[​IMG]Some extremely embarrassing spelling errors (German-language version) are bit too much for a four-Euro-game.

I'm not sure if I will change manufacturer on my next paid version... But as said before: The gameplay itself is an overwhelming and hyper modern experience, very well done with lots of power, the "adventure mode" is a very nice complement, as well as the little comic story around it (although Mahjong purists can well do without all of those gimmicks). For those who want occasionally gamble Mahjong, possibly the two Lite versions of the manufacturer will do (you can play two adventure and one classic layout, no highscores at all). You should try them anyway.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=305426797

However, only three stars for the full version of Mahjong Artifacts until they change scoring and fix some other flaws.

3. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Likewise... very slick on the iPad :)

4. genesis_pig

genesis_pig Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Whats the best Mahjong game for a newcomer?
    I have never played it before, Does any of the games come with a tutorial?

5. kra096

kra096 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Student
    Brazil
  6. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
  7. abstractcolors215

abstractcolors215 Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    USA
    The Mahjong games by Kristanix are superb!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Pretty expensive though. I still think many of the ones mentioned early in the thread are good. Some have been updated for better graphics, but their gameplay was superb.

9. AdoreGames

AdoreGames Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    we've also developed a mahjong game. It's quite the opposite to those presented here, but anyway we'd like to introduce it too here! maybe someone will check it out and enjoy its simplicity and the opportunity to beat your friends highscores.

Hope you'll enjoy it! Link is in our signature;) available both for iOS and Android.

P.S. sorry if we seem to pushy with this comment, we didn't mean it:rolleyes: