Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. Been to see Lincoln this evening - only 6/10

Very long winded in places, missed some of the humour as I couldn't understand what some of them were saying and they seemed to talk to each other in speeches and stories rather than actual conversation. However, I have to say that Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors around at the moment.

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Finally got a catch to watch Christopher Nolan's 2002 Insomnia starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams. Great film, crazy good plot, keeps you on the edge of your seat!

That's one more off the list, I'm trying to watch all of Nolan's films, since the ones I've seen are all superb, now I think I just need to see Following and Memento! Well, unless you count his short film, Doodlebug. Haven't seen that either.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The Prestige is easily one of the best films I've seen in a long, long time. Loved it.

Any thoughts on Pan's Labyrinth? I heard it was very good but excruciatingly violent. Planning on checking that one out from the library later today.

4. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Decided to pick up Memento and Insomnia thanks to ninjackid's recommendations.

I've also picked up Pan's but haven't watched it yet. I hate those gory/violent/horror type movies, and only got it since it has so many good reviews. If you decide to watch it, let me know what you think of it.

5. In double whammy film weekend, caught FLIGHT at the cinema featuring Denzel Washington.

I actually thought that it wasn't bad. Denzel seems to be playing the anti-hero a bit these days. Although it's set in the world of commercial airlines etc it's more a story about drug and alcohol addiction. Decent story and good acting and better than I was expecting.

6. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Some of the violence in Pan's Labyrinth is brutal, but it's not comparable to what you'd find in a horror/gore movie. What you see in Pan's Labyrinth has a purpose - it's not mindless violence. And, to be honest, I don't remember it being excessive either.

7. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

A question: If you absolutely hate horror/gore movies, would you watch it in bed at night? :rolleyes:

8. Som yung gai

Som yung gai Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the Red Dawn remake? I might see it, although the film's story seems laughably absurd. Even if armed forces communication is knocked out (apparently not, the TV broadcasts are still online before, during, and after the invasion), you'll still face a massive military & posssibly civilian militia resistance. Now, with North Korea, the US air & ground forces are so much larger. Reservists may be called up to augment the regulars. In addition, Japan is RIGHT THERE. US & Japanese air and naval forces can stop the invasion before it even starts. Also, US got nukes.

Sorry for long post :)

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Told you it was good! :D

Awesome, hope you like them! Insomnia is an amazing film, and I still need to get around to seeing Memento, but I'm sure it's great. Nolan's movies usually are. :)

In other news, I saw Expendables 2, crazy good fun, pretty funny, too. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than the first one.

10. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth? It's not a horror/gore film. There are some scenes that are a little spooky or creepy, as well as some scenes that are very violent, but overall that's not what the movie is about.

11. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Haha, I was actually planning on watching Expendables 2 tonight also :D

Cool :) The plot line for Memento just drew me :)

12. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Haha, was just browsing through the older posts and this made me laugh :)

13. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Hahaha! That's great lol.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, it's definitely up there with Nolan's other films. One thing about it that I didn't enjoy though was the shift towards a lack of realism. It started off as a very believable story..and then that machine ruins everything.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes...but just give him that one break and the movie is just great on all fronts. And hey, at least it's supposed to be real "science" from
    Tesla
    . Far better than being passed off as magic.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Good reviews...3 academy awards and a 98 metacritic rating...yes I think that's pretty good. For comparison the only movie I've ever seen get a 100 metacritic would be Aliens.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth. Excellent. I was expecting more of a horror movie, and certainly one far more violent (not complaint though). I've got to admit, after hearing over and over how explicit and gratuitous the film is, I watch it expecting something along the lines of Saving Private Ryan with fantasy creatures and instead get a very, very sad story with great acting and script. If you haven't seen this gem yet I highly recommend it.

Is it just me or was anyone else surprised that the Faun wasn't malicious? I guess that make sense in my interpretation of everything being in her imagination, including the part where she's dying and meets the king. She wouldn't imagine an evil faun. Really the whole story was just so sad, the little girl had nowhere to turn to but her books in a really f***ed up situation.

I wish they made movies of this caliber more often.

18. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Hmm... I'll have to look out for Pan's Labyrinth from now on then.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes, you do that. Try the local library to snag it for free first. That's always my first stop.

20. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Saw Black Hawk Down yesterday, decent film, but not my cup of tea.

Anyone seen Catch Me if You Can starring Hanks and DiCaprio?