Universal Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jetlitheone

jetlitheone Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Crashes on my iphone 5 ios 6.1 beta. Anyone?

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Why are the pics gameloft shows are wayyyyyy different then what people actually playing the game?

3. georaldc

georaldc Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    To trick people into buying their games hahaha.

But seriously, its called bullshots and the sad reality is that a lot of other developers do it as well.

4. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Basically, your iPad cannot run this game at the same resolution as them. They just have to crank the settings way up, max the resolution and AA, and make a screenshot. They also use a PC.

Every developer does this.

5. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hah, lesson learnt = don't buy Gameloft's BS all the time. They overhype every game of theirs!

Also, I remember when some people posted the impressions from the Android version in the upcoming thread, everyone starting saying Android was crap and it sucked bla bla bla.

Seriously, looking at the iPad 3/4 and seeing the pics at native resolution hurts my eyes. No friggin AA?

6. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Some devs like Madfinger and Vector Unit who hv been churning out high quality games graphics wise don't do these BS. And well, they don't need to because the game look so good anyways, no tricks are needed!

7. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Bullshots...lmfao

Regardless, it's still a game with pretty good graphics.

Don't really care as long as the gameplay holds up.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #228 JBRUU, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    The game does look good. I'm perfectly happy with more it looks now, and seeing as how the framerate is supposed to be rock-solid, I'm very pleased with the final product.

Edit: and seriously people, considering that consoles don't even crank out full 720p most of the time but upscale from ~500p, it looks great.

9. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    Gameloft really gotta hire new art director.. I don't give much shits about environment because its on mobile phone.. But why can't they change damm designs for the hands? Looks soo weird just like mc3
    But gun designs are a lot better than mc3. So as the iron sight, which I love it so much. I hated iron sights in mc3

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Sigh....small maps and people complain, yet these complaints persist even with huge maps.

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 12 player MP a standard on even console and PC?

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No. 18 player is usually the minimum in competitive FPSs. BF3 can have 60+ players in one game.

12. georaldc

georaldc Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    And still the overall visual quality of these console games is much much better than your typical gameloft software. The problem with gameloft games is they feel lifeless. They just fill your screen up with the latest shebang effects used in games today and don't really seem to care if it all looks good together.

I can imagine how they go about planning their games. "See that depth of field effect in game X? Let's add that in!". "Oohh, battlefield 3's lens flare, light blinding effect looks cool, let's put that in our game as well". "Ragdolls physics seem to be the thing nowadays, let's dial ours up above the norm so people will notice!"

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Have you played the game or CoD?

14. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #234 elisha11230, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    I have played the game quite a bit now and here are some impressions.

I play on iPhone 4 and it is a lag fest but it is less laggy then mc3 was for some reason, there is also half second delay from running to shoot for some reason. not sure if its because of lag or a bug.

Im level 16 and I have only earned about 30,000 coins. Its not enough, I have unlocked the first sniper and a custom loadout and im out of money already.

The maps are huge, which is good when there are 12 people in the game but any fewer your just running around the map for ages till you find someone.

The sniper acts alot like MC3. I would say it is slightly easier to use than mc3.
    But it is terrible at long range, Its neary impossible to hit a moving target, and you have to hit them twice compared to short and medium range.
    Noscope is still 2 shot kill.

The auto knife is absolutely terrible, does not work well at all, you think your gonna knife and you end up shooting and vice versa.

Overall pretty good, the jump over objects works very well. Graphics I dont care about, only wish it wouldnt lag so damn much on my iphone 4, I guess its time to upgrade.

15. JackyLau95

JackyLau95 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I have 3.8gb left. Is this enough to download? Also, what is the installed size?

16. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Install size is 2gb

17. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I never complained about mc3 maps. They were all awesome except like one or two maps.. But yeah mc4 maps I like it a lot but its just kinda really slow paced compare to mc3

18. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Doesn't that sound like, a lot? And how fast did you get to Lvl 16? What are the cheapest IAP options (to have some perspective on what you 30k means).

19. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oh my, now we are comparing a full console game to an iOS game. I'm wondering what's next?

Anyway, while I'm not a fan of the controls, I give credit where it's due, MC3 was impressive and the closest thing to CoD on iOS. On the subject of lifeless experiences, I think it's a concensus that Mad Finger takes that trophy by a long shot.

20. georaldc

georaldc Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Lol, yes I have and it looks and feels pretty much like every gameloft fps game released in the past, just with some new effects tacked in.

Funny you mention COD. Not a fan of the series, but MW1 on the 360 looks like a full generation leap compared to this, and that isn't even running at native 720p.

Hardware in these mobile devices may still have ways to go before they come close to what powers a 360 or ps3, and the usual budget reserved for mobile game development just won't touch the money put into big budget pc/console games, but it should still be possible to create something that can really make you go wow. Bladeslinger was one such game. IB 2 maybe as well, plus a host of other already available games like Lily. Sadly, gameloft games were always missing something in my eyes. Is it the animation? Modelling maybe? I don't know, they always felt off and despite employing all sorts of technical tricks. Mc4 is no different