We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
  2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Who has cancer?!

3. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Its finally over!!! Yes !!! Natedogg has finally admitted he is a FAIL !!

THREAD CLOSED.......hopefully hhahahaha!!!

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Midian :(

Atleast this thread is over :) but I'm still sad about Midian. :( Best wishes dude.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #1025 MidianGTX, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    Actually I wouldn't mind getting the thread back on track... not the natedogg argument but there's always someone out there ready to complain about prices. This thread is for the purpose of directing them all someplace contained and I haven't got around to feeling sorry for myself yet ;)

6. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    After two days of not checking I can't believe this is still a first page thread...

7. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    It's called "the market", and if you don't like it, wait for things to go on sale before you buy them.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Wow, you're such a j£rk. And stop treating my buddy Midian in such an impious manner.

9. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Point noted, but I can certainly see both sides of the argument here.

I challenge any warm blooded gamer not to feel frustrated when a game goes on sale within a week or two of it's App Store debut. Yes, it is the current App Store climate, buy it's worryingly anti rewarading for all the day one buyers - how many times will developers financially punish genuine gamers like myself who desperately want to support indie developers by buying their games within hours of launch.

I think Cave is the very best example of customer loyalty. With each of their three iOS offerings launching at heavily discounted prices for the initial fortnight, and the odd scattered sale thereafter. Kudos to Cave.

I love Death Rally, I admire Remedy and Mountain Sheep massively, but I can't hide the fact that I'm mildly disappointed at such early discounts. Indeed it may only be the matter of £1.20 ($2.00 usd), but it's not about the money. It's about two things that are far more valuable - Principle and loyalty.

I've made my point, now I shall only look forward. The fact that Death Rally is such a great game, and that the devs are supporting their game with two early doors updates, certainly softens the blow.

10. Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    i know!!!! its gonna take me soooo long to get those 2 dollars back i want a refund !1!?!!!1!!!!1

That said, no reason not to buy this now. I might post my impressions soon.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I really only got two things from this:

1) It's not about the money.

2) You want to support indie developers.

So where's the problem? You paid a bit more, but the money doesn't matter and you're helping support the team just like you wanted.

P.S. Two games I bought recently have just gone completely free, but like you I wanted to support the devs. I'm glad I could help out and if a sale helps them financially then I'm all for it, maximum exposure all the way.

12. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    My only problem is they launched with a limited time 15% discount. I guess what they actually meant was a limited time premium!

Hope this clarifies it for you.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #1033 metalcasket, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    The truth is, everyone gets burned by an app store purchase at one time or another...so it's stupid to come into a thread and start ridiculing others when they complain about a sale because you know you did the same thing at another point in time.

I'll tell you what the problem with this sale is. I don't know how many of you were aware that Death Rally's "launch price" was $4.99. Instead of it going to the regular price they stated ($5.99) it would go to, the price went down even further. If you can't see how someone would have a problem with that, I'm sorry but your logic/common sense if flawed...

(I was gonna continue writing on until I noticed Simon Potticary's post)

EDIT: I just had to add this. This reminds me of the whole "Flying Hamster" situation. The game had no "launch price" bullshit, but launched at $5.99. A week later, they announced it would go on sale at it's "LOWEST PRiZ EVAR~! BAI IT NAO B4 EET GOZ BEK 2 FULL PRAIS" at $3.99 (which I, along with some other TAers took advantage of). Instead of going back to $5.99 on the last day of sale, it went down to $2.99 for the next 24 hours. Excuse me the f*** what?

14. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Im so pissed off . Im never, ever, going to buy a game when it first comes out. Unless its a buck. Two frickin weeks = 2 bucks off. WTF.

15. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Yes, I agree with that point. That is pretty naughty of them.

But I don't fully agree with Simon's point. For games like this, I suspect that "principle and loyalty" will hardly affect a developer's profits. Price cuts are more likely to do so, with more purchasers and a higher rank in the AppStore. So when we get burned by a sale like this, it is just how this market works.

16. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Duly noted sir.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    No we didn't, some of us genuinely want to support the developers and don't mind taking a small loss. We bought for the game in the first place, so we obviously thought it was worth what we paid for it. You're right about everyone getting burned at some point though, that's just another reason not to complain about it.

My problem with Simon's post was that if it was really an issue for him, then one of the two points he mentioned must be false. Either he's not too concerned with supporting the developers, or it really is about the money.

What it comes down to is the developers need to make money. They usually care about their fans, but they can't let emotions get in the way of profit otherwise they'll simply cease to be. Alright so a few people get annoyed with the sale, but they gain 10x more customers. Developers have to think about the greater good if they want to succeed and if you can't understand and accept that then maybe you're not as much of a supporter as you think you are.

18. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    and 2 frickin weeks = 2weeks that you got to play the game more than those that waited for a sale.

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    If only I had waited .... Mostly because I really do not like this game, boring, and hate its controls, I could have spared a couple of bucks.

20. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Yes I do want to support developers, and no I don't really mind the £1.20. I'm just left with a bitter taste when the devs quote a 15% limited time discount and then apply a further discount just 2 weeks later.

I just resent being lied to. Or is this somehow acceptable?