Official Super Crate Box iOS thread (Vlambeer / Halfbot)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vlambeer, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlambeer

Vlambeer Well-Known Member

#1 Vlambeer, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

For our hit title Super Crate Box, an indie PC/OSX game, we had one request more than every other request combined: an iOS version. We thought that the controls wouldn't work on iOS, so we never checked into it, but then - a while ago - we met the guys at Halfbot (The Blocks Cometh), who assured us they could do it. A few prototypes later and here we are: Super Crate Box iOS is coming in September 2011!

For those of you who are aware of the game, Super Crate Box iOS will be exactly what it sounds like: a mobile version of Super Crate Box - we're making sure that you have the same tight controls and that the game is as fast-paced, challenging and merciless as you want it to.

For those of you who've never heard of Super Crate Box, the game snatched pretty much every 'Best Freeware PC game' award in 2010 - but most of all, it's free. If you don't believe the press, give the game a try on your PC or Mac.

The game will support iOS devices and the iCADE system and releases in September 2011.

- TouchArcade

Wonder whether the controls work on touchscreens? Decide for yourself!

This thread is only to discuss Super Crate Box, Super Crate Box iOS, Vlambeer or Halfbot. The mods have requested that we ask of you not to discuss Super Crate Box derivatives. Thanks!

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    iCade too? Man, this is going to be great!

3. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Downloaded the freeware. Grrrrrrreeeaaattttt! It's awesome, and it seems like a good fit for iOS! :D

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Is this game going to be a direct port of the PC version, or will there be content updates planned for followup to the release?

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    THIS

I'm really hoping for more weapons and stages. Maybe even an IAP to unlock Ambush mode right from the start

6. Vlambeer

#6 Vlambeer, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Super Crate Box is going to be as close to the original as possible. There's no way you can add to or remove from Super Crate Box without ruining the balance in the game unless you make a different game and that is not the request we had. The request we had was to offer the Super Crate Box experience on iOS, so that's what we're doing. We're offering the complete game straight away, no 'delayed updates' or content that'll be delivered at a later date.

That doesn't mean there won't be changes to some less gameplay-specific areas of the game, -we're looking into things like easier ways to unlock things, new characters or a more casual mode. It also doesn't mean that we won't support the game. We will. It means the core gameplay will remain exactly as is because that's what makes Super Crate Box Super Crate Box.

Of course, if there's a popular request, we'll definitely consider it.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Can I take from your response that this rules out coop and/ or vs multiplayer unless the community demands it?

Also, can you talk about your hands-on testing controls for this game? The iPhone has several great platformers and sidescrollers and the standard has been raised this year especially. SCB looks twitch heavy and that demands not only responsive controls but also midair correction.

You... You aren't using tilt controls for this are you? :)

Also, is this coming to iPad?

8. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I assume it will be universal based on the iCade support, although I don't think pixel-stretching would look terrible on the iPad.

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Any updates? New vids? New screens? Release date?

Sorry so many questions:D

10. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I got the freeware, and gave up before I finished the tutorial because I'd try to rush it because it was so slow moving, and then when I died it would start again at step 1.

Could you either speed up the tutorial a bit and/or make it so it doesn't start at the first step again when you die?

Implementation of the second option especially would be great

11. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    LOL that took me a few tries too.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Welcome to TA forums Vlambeer! :D I can't wait for this, but you really should have an update for multiplayer coop ;)

13. Vlambeer

Yes. Multiplayer for Super Crate Box is really a thing that is only available on the WINNITRON arcade cabinet systems - basically couch/arcade cabinet multiplayer where there's a race to 25 crates between two players.

We think any other way of presenting multiplayer (local, WiFi, network, bluetooth) simply doesn't work the way we wanted it to. Of course, we don't rule out anything, we'll just have to see. In the end, we never expected to make this until we ran into Halfbot and look where we are now.

We've selected a lot of high-profile Super Crate Box players and asked them to play the game a lot. We've been to Gamescom, where we let players that never heard about Super Crate Box play the current build of the game. It seems that overal, the controls are starting to reach the level of control we need for this game.

We'd rather go with voice commands than that.

Yes.

Soon. Soon. Soon. Soon. ;)

This is one of the changes we've indeed made :). We made the tutorial a bit frustrating so players would approach the game with the right mindset, but that doesn't work out for everyone. In the iOS version, we've fix this. Makes the game a lot more fun to get into. Thanks for the suggestion!

14. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Super Crate Box requires a lot of holding down the fire button while jumping around...will such a maneuver be possible with touchscreen controls? (Playing with thumbs, of course. )

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Perhaps a toggle button for certain weapons?

16. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #16 doodlejumper, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    Anyway, is there anything lacking in this port that just couldn't work on iPhone?

17. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Yesss, an official thread. Really can't wait for this one to release. Hope to play it soon. Thanks Vlambeer.

18. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Downloaded the game last night and it's awesome. I suck pretty bad at it, but it's really, really addicting. Now eagerly awaiting release :D

Also: lol at "We'd rather go with voice commands" than tilt control. verry witty ;)

19. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Voice commands would be kinda fun, although people would probably think that you're crazy as you frantically scream at your iPhone. Would have to change the title to Super Voice Box :D

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'd prefer a large jump button and a smaller fire button where I can hold fire and slide my thumb over the jump button which allows me to do both.

I'd be similar to how you use Turbo moves in NBA JAM.

Aside from the Pistol, Dual Pistol, and Revolver I don't think I'd want any of the other weapons to autofire... especially that damn discgun :mad: