Best and Worst

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mene, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Just for a laugh if you have time, post the three games you've bought that were worth their money many times over and three games you bought that you felt weren't worth their price.

Here's mine,

Best:-

Game Dev Story - played it countless hours
    Phantom Leader - still playing it a year after buying it
    Pixa - still play it every day!

Worst:-

Dragon Quest VIII - Awesome game but the camera kills it, £14 and not played for more than 2 hrs.
    FTL - bought it day one, played it once and never loaded it since
    Final Fantasy V - wanted a FF game so bought this one, played it once, not loaded it again.

:)

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You're doing something wrong if you only played FTL once. That's easily one of the best games for the iPad in overall depth, complexity, and replay value.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm not knocking FTL at all, I guess I just burnt out playing it on the PC.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess what you meant was that it wasnt worth it for you to double dip on the iOS version. Makes sense i guess.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #5 Exact-Psience, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Worth:

1. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. I payed about $26 for this because of currency conversions and it was pretty wierd. Plus I went through all that trouble to gain JP credits. Still totally worth it. 230+ hours already, and it hasnt been a month yet i think.

2. Infinity Blade 2 (not 3). What looked like consumable IAPs actually get replenished on each rebirth. Spent approximately about 300 hours on IB2 levelling up.

3. Phoenix HD. Cheaper than most top-tier shmups on the appstore. Each ship purchase is pretty much a new shmup on its own. Coin Tripler pays for itself on each run. Never found a need to buy consumables at all. After the huge hype and enjoyment in Sky Force 2014 i still went back to Phoenix HD.

Honorable Mention: Shadowgun. Finished it 7 or 8 times already. Despite so many attempts at 3rd person shooters like this, i still end up replaying Shadowgun. Almost about to finish another playthrough of the main campaign coz of the latest update. Update didnt even do much for me, but it was enough to remind me of the good time i had with the game.

Not worth (take note, i LOVE all these games to bits still):

1. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Bought all songs, but not all characters. Love the game, but i think i spent too much on the songs packs. Also, it isnt something i play everyday. Demons Score was a lot more bang for the buck for me since i played that in too many playthroughs, and i got about half of the character IAPs in a sale.

2. Zen Pinball. Bought almost all tables now. Problem is that im buying each one without actually playing them. Need to put more time into each table, but without long-term progression it's kinda difficult to invest time in it for me. Personally, i prefer completion/progression over high-scoring.

3. Second Chance Heroes. I really enjoyed this game, but after buying characters, Bug Heroes 2 got released and it just got overshadowed. That said, i still want to spend more time into completing Second Chance Heroes.

6. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I'm too lazy to think about this right now, but I did want to comment on your second point. I was sort of feeling the same way some $30-$40 into buying Zen tables (because I was stupid and started re-buying tables in Marvel Pinball), so I had to create a secondary goal for myself that makes playing worthwhile.

I've gone with 2 strategies. Strategy A: Get the local high score on the table. Since the tables rate themselves at 1, 5, or 10 million based on local leaderboards, this has given me a completion goal to aim for. Strategy B: Get any GC achievement for each table. Just, any of the three. They are all crazy hard, except for the ones that are ridiculously easy (Captain America and Wolverine, to name two).

I have enjoyed Zen Pinball at least 10x more since I started doing that. Not sure if it will work for you, but I felt like I had to make up some sort of strategy after so much investment.