Are you an iOS Casual gamer or Hard Core gamer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Jan 29, 2011.

?

Do you prefer Casual games or Hard Core games on the iDevice?

1. Casual, for sure!

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Hard Core games only!

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    We are all different. What is your iOS gaming preference?

While there are a few hard core games I have loved for the iDevice, I am a casual gamer through and through. I always find myself getting caught up in the latest pick-up and play game.

2. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm almost always playing the casual games like Doodle Jump or Cut the Rope. I love them!

I do occasionally play more hardcore games, but not often.

3. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    hardcore games all the way Modern Combat, NOVA, CoD Zombies, Dead Space, Real Racing with all assist off, any game that will drain my battery like theres no tomm will do

4. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Hardcore baby!! I'm starting to worry though that my battery is being permanently damaged, I use up all my battery since morning and do full recharges 2-3 times a day. Then I leave my iPod to charge for the rest of the night.

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't see games in and of themselves as particularly casual or hardcore. Sure some games are sure to attract one type of gamer over the other but really I think it is the gamer who makes the game casual or hardcore for themselves. I can play Tetris casually, but have friends who push themselves to the highest level because they like to play the games hardcore. I can play Cut The Rope or Angry Birds casually or try to play for all 3 stars and quickest time on every stage. Really I don't think any game is particularly "Hardcore" or "Casual" but rather the gamers play style and preference as how they play them.

6. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Even with all the big titles we have (Dead Space, Modern Combat 2, Real Racing 2, Chaos Rings, Infinity Blade etc.), calling iOS gaming hardcore is seriously laughable. Hardcore Gaming by definition could be subjective though. I even find PSP titles not that hardcore but that's just me. So it's all subjective: Doodle Jump is hardcore gaming for a 4 year old.

7. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I think you're missing the point of casual and hardcore. Casual games are games like you listed, ones that are simple puzzle, physics, or endless runner type games that you can just "pick up and play." Hardcore games have qualities like good graphics, good storyline if there is one, immersive qualities, depth of gameplay. Your discussion about playing casual games hardcore and playing a hardcore game casually just confuses me. Anyway, here are some games you can compare.

Hardcore games: Aralon, Real Racing 2, Dead Space, Galaxy on Fire 2, Modern Combat 2, Nova 2.

Casual games: Cut the rope, angry birds, Doodle jump, Helsings fire, Fruit Ninja, Burn the rope, Plants Vs Zombies.

8. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Hardcore games of course. I don't do angry birds or doodle jump none sense!

9. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I just play whatevers fun. Depends on my mood, and what's new.

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Hardcore.

I turned to the iDevice as an alternative only after the DS and PSP fell apart. I was a dedicated PSP gamer for several years. Ultimately, iOS gaming at it's peak is still not really hardcore enough to satisfy me. Although tech/spec wise, the potential is there. This is in no way a hardware issue.

I decided to purchase a high-end laptop so I could move on to true hardcore portable gaming. True, a laptop, similar to an iPad, is portable only to a certain degree. I'll likely turn back to Sony and the NGP eventually. I will always own an iPhone though, so I will continue to dream of the day when the AppStore truly steps up it's game.

Even Dead Space for the iDevice is only 3-4 hours long. So-called hardcore iOS games usually fall into this category. 2-4 hrs.

I have a copy of Dead Space 2 for my laptop. It plays at full speed, with no frame loss, at the highest graphical settings. The game looks better than it would on a 360. And, like most PC games these days, is fully playable with a wireless 360 controller. That, my friends, is the hieght of gaming awesomeness.

11. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I definitely prefer hardcore games, particularly first/third person shooters and racing games.

The only casual games that I enjoy and occasionally play are Fruit Ninja, Flight Control and Osmos. But I couldn't care less about most other casual games, and I especially dislike tower defence games, physics games (like angry birds), and doodle games.

12. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Casual and Hardcore neck in neck, its 8 and 8.

13. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I guess I'm kinda both...I like casual games more, but whenever I get a hardcore game it becomes the only game I play for a while, probably until I beat it.

I can't really vote on the poll now...cuz I guess I'm in between

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    lol, "hardcore gamer." What an overused and ridiculous concept. If you don't "get" how a so called casual game could be hardcore then you don't "get" videogames. A game like Silverfish or Tilt To Live is every bit as hardcore as any COD game ever was. Do they use as many buttons on the controller? no. Do they have the same sort of (supposed) narrative depth? Not at all. Do they require a similar sort of commitment to really master? You bet...and thats HARDCORE baby!

the third option on the poll should have been "who cares?"

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Honestly, I resent buying the 0.99 trash that always seems to fill the top 200 on the appstore. Sure, those "casual" games are fun at first, but how about after 15 minutes?

Doodle Jump?: looks to total playing time-23 minutes, 14 seconds. I bought that the day it came out.

Angry Birds?: I'm on level 3 of the game, you can check me up on gamecenter if you think I'm lying..bottom 99%.

Considering I have 550+ apps, the list can go on and on without limitation, but I'll spare you that. Sadly, it's only my poor buying habits that fuels me to grab every popular "casual" that debuts on the appstore, nothing else.

If you took a look at my idevice right now (218 apps), you would see games that take on average over 5 hours to complete, most taking a lot longer. I've always been the biggest fan of rpgs, and I have completely embraced the selections on the appstore, owning every single damn ones. The trashy ones got deleted the second I play them, but right now on my ipod, I Across Age DX, Aralon, Dungeon Hunter 2, GoF 2, Heroes Lore 3, Hybrid 2, Illusia, Inotia 3, Itarus, Queen's Crown, Seed 2, Ash, CGS, Eusrath, Phantasy Star 2, Puzzle Quest, PQ 2, Shrouded, L.C. Heroes, and Wesnoth. Now think about the total play times of just those, and no I haven't played any of them. That's why they're still on my ipod. Living by delete one game, buy 2 more is pretty painful.

There's definitely a difference between casual games and puzzle games though. Many puzzle games actually require some pretty in depth thought, and I tend to enjoy the selections on the appstore, since I consider the iDevice the perfect platform for the genre. Some favorites include Cut the Rope, Enigmo 2, Helsing's Fire, Beyond Ynth, and Zen Bound 2.

One exception for me for casual games though, is if it includes multiplayer. Fruit Ninja is a joy to play over GC with friends. Flight Control isn't bad either. I consider minigore a pretty casual game, and the coop on there is pretty darn fun too. But sadly, look at how few this selection is..

Shooters are also excellent on the iOS. I love the controls and most incorporate multiplayer pretty well. I guess honestly, any games with multiplayer is a joy to me.

Strategy games and Racing are also two of my favorites. I just wish there were more decent titles for each genre. RTS is severely lacking in the appstore, but StarFront will definitely fix that xD. Racing...there's just so much worthless trash on the appstore. I can honestly only think of 3 decent ones, if even that, and yes of course, I have them all. Buying Habits.

Besides RPGs, I enjoy a large collection of what I consider to be Adventure games, ranging from "storybook" games like Broken Sword 2, to pretty intense games like GTA: CW and Lara Croft. These generally are shorter than RPG's and range from 5-10 hours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you didn't want to read that wall of text, here's a short conclusion. I don't like casual games: those games without a story, where you play just to try and beat the scores of strangers on the leaderboard, that people only buy because it's a freaking 0.99.

I like games that have a decent story, require strategy, will keep my interest for over an hour, and have a great production value. For these reasons, I generally go for higher priced games much before I look at the newest "casual" 0.99 pickups in the appstore.

I wouldn't say I'm a "hardcore" gamer, just that I like good games. Yes, I should go play a console right? No, I made the idevice my second home for a reason. I definitely don't have the time to sit on a damn couch all day while eating chips, playing 40 year olds on CoD:BP over PSN. Where did I get that 40 year age from? Go search up the average age of gamers. It's honestly frightening to think about who the hell is on the other side when you're playing an online game afterwards. But yeah, the portability of the device is amazing. There's something there for everyone, as long as you are willing to spend, and that has never been a concern for me. Honestly, I can say that out of all the devices I've owned and played, from the Super Nintendo to the GBC to the PS2 to the PC to the PSP to the PS3 to the MacBook Pro, the iPod Touch is my favorite by far.

Thanks for reading friends.

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    You should get dungeon defenders: First Wave (pulled right now until 3.0 update)

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I've spent a total of 230$ from December until today. I can promise you I have every game that has been considered decent here on TA within that time period.

Thanks for the suggestion though; it's an excellent online game.

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Honestly I don't think there was anything confusing about what I said. There is no such thing as a hardcore game or casual game, it is all on how a person plays a game. By your definition games like The Sims can be considered hardcore and most here would argue that it is not, even though it is a surprisingly deep game with very intricate dynamics and coding and great graphics (considering what all it is doing) to boot.

I think most people assume that just because a game is restrictively complex in its design, gameplay or controls that it is somehow "Hardcore" game. For those I say poo. Just because a casual gamer chooses not to play those more complex games does not make them hardcore, just as a person who plays through and rolls over the stages in Pac-Man is in no way considered a "Casual" gamer. It has nothing to do with the games you play and all to do with how you play them.

19. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Well said. I totally agree.

20. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Well, I don't think that's how people are judging this.